PDA

View Full Version : Badass Astronauts!

Gargamel
02-06-13, 11:49 PM
I love cracked.com.

This article is so pro astronaut, I'm smiling the whole way through it.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-astronauts-more-badass-than-any-action-movie-hero/

Sailor Steve
02-07-13, 01:06 AM
"Gordon Cooper personally hunted and skinned a cyberman."

Gotta love it! :rotfl2: :rock:

Wolferz
02-07-13, 08:45 AM
That was awesome!:up:
After I finally picked it out of the patchwork.
Guess that makes me badass too.:03:

Catfish
02-07-13, 09:06 AM
This was great :haha:

Herr-Berbunch
02-07-13, 09:37 AM
That article calls Yuri Gagarin the first person in outer space, I take issue with that as to me outer space is not 327km away, that is within the thermosphere - an area today used by astronaughts in the ISS (~410 km), being within the earths atmosphere (however barely) are LEO, Low Earth Orbit. Low being the operative word. Even a HEO only goes to 36,000 km. Only Apollo missions have gone beyond this, and the exosphere past that (~600 km - 190,000 km). The moon is 360,000 - 405,000 km away.

So is beyond the exosphere outer space? Not to some.

Wikipedia states that 100 km is the line for internation space treaties, and calls it outer space beyond that. So possibly, but I could've edited that ten minutes ago to read just 1m.

For NASA I can't find anything stating where they say outer space starts. You'd think if one government dept. would know, and say, this information it'd be them.

Ed Stone, one of the lead guys behind Voyage 1 says that Voyager 1 will be in outer space once it has left the solar system (heliosphere), it is currently ~11bn miles away - and that still isn't quite into outer space!

I think it's up to each individual to decide where outer space starts for them, I'm still undecided, but it's definitely not 327 km away.

(This post is not intended to belittle anything acheived by Gagarin, or other astronaughts since.)

Sailor Steve
02-07-13, 10:19 AM
Wikipedia states that 100,000 km is the line for internation space treaties, and calls it outer space beyond that.
I just read the Wiki article, and I didn't see that. Where is it stated?

I did find this, though:

"The Fédération Aéronautique Internationale has established the Kármán line at an altitude of 100 km (62 mi) as a working definition for the boundary between aeronautics and astronautics. This is used because at an altitude of roughly 100 km (62 mi), as Theodore von Kármán calculated, a vehicle would have to travel faster than orbital velocity in order to derive sufficient aerodynamic lift from the atmosphere to support itself."

Herr-Berbunch
02-07-13, 10:32 AM
I just read the Wiki article, and I didn't see that. Where is it stated?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_space
There is no firm boundary where space begins. However the Kármán line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1rm%C3%A1n_line), at an altitude of 100 km (62 mi) above sea level (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_level), is conventionally used as the start of outer space for the purpose of space treaties and aerospace records keeping.It's not that I have truck with, it's calling 237 km outer space whilst it's still technically within the bounds of the Earth's atmosphere. :)

To me, outer space is deep space, interstellar, not near much else at all.

Sailor Steve
02-07-13, 10:35 AM
But you said

Wikipedia states that 100,000 km is the line for internation space treaties, and calls it outer space beyond that.

Herr-Berbunch
02-07-13, 10:38 AM
But you said

D'oh!

I'll edit it so I don't quite look sooooooo stupid. :oops:

Done. I don't think anybody else saw that!

Sailor Steve
02-07-13, 10:39 AM
Too late! It's been recorded for posterity. :D

Red October1984
02-07-13, 05:30 PM
I love cracked.com.

This article is so pro astronaut, I'm smiling the whole way through it.

Soooooooo you like astronauts?

:arrgh!:

Platapus
02-07-13, 08:45 PM
Either the Vostok re-entry capsule, or a reduced scale model of one of Yuri's balls.

They do have a way with words at cracked. :yep: