PDA

View Full Version : Navigation

Mancspartan
02-06-13, 09:37 AM
Hiya Guys

I`m trying to learn how to manual target, and am struggling a little bit. When I`m working out the AoB do I have to subtract a certain amount off the figure I get, before I put it into the TDC section, depending whereabouts I am, or the target ship is?

I`m using the OLC GUI, and I noticed in his tutorial he subtracted 50 off his initial AoB of 180, and input 130 degrees. Why?

Hope you can help.

Cheers

lafeeverted
02-06-13, 09:48 AM
IIRC

AOB = 180-Target course + True Bearing to Target

TBT = Uboat heading + Bearing to Target - 360 if number is >360

Pisces
02-06-13, 10:58 AM
Hiya Guys

I`m trying to learn how to manual target, and am struggling a little bit. When I`m working out the AoB do I have to subtract a certain amount off the figure I get, before I put it into the TDC section, depending whereabouts I am, or the target ship is?
What "figure" did you get? And from what? My magic orb is out of action due to battle damage.

I`m using the OLC GUI, and I noticed in his tutorial he subtracted 50 off his initial AoB of 180, and input 130 degrees. Why?

Hope you can help.

CheersYou subtract the calculated AOB (yes, the device is a calculator) from 180 ONLY if the target is pointing away in the view. So you need to look at how the structures on the target are facing to determine if the AOB is more or less than 90 degrees. The AOB finder calculator cannot distinguish between the two situations based on the apparent width. It looks the same to it. Your human eyes (and brain) can determine if you are looking at the rear end, or front.

AOB 30 is as wide as 150, 60 is as wide as 120, 80 is as wide as 100, 20 is as wide as 160.

Gustav Schiebert
02-06-13, 03:02 PM
This is the one I use: http://myplace.frontier.com/~lee4pat241/id1.html.

I'm going to put it out there and say I don't sweat too much over the AOB. Particularly for merchants and other low-speed targets, I normally guess the ABO based on the difference between the apparent view of the target, and the profile view in the book. It doesn't make an enormous amount of difference at normal combat ranges.

So, if the target looks about half as wide in the scope as it does in the book, that's 45 degrees. Use that as a benchmark and you can get remarkably accurate shots with practice (only about 10-15 degrees out, which makes next to no difference up to about 2000m), with the added bonus that it takes about 2-3 seconds.

Real-life U-boat commanders generally did this too (since they could only have the scope up for a few seconds at a time), the AOB calculator wheels were more often used to get a course for a convoy, so you could plot its course and intercept later on.

don1reed
02-06-13, 04:33 PM
Target Br
+ Own course
---------------
If addition is > 180°, then, -180
If addition is < 180°, then, +180

+Port aob
-Starboard aob
----------------
Target True course

Mancspartan
02-07-13, 06:57 AM
What "figure" did you get? And from what? My magic orb is out of action due to battle damage.

Lol - It was just a general question - I didnt have a set of specific figures available. I obviously explained myself as clear as mud :oops:

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Cheers