PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Boats?? NOT!!!

Fish40
02-05-13, 12:23 PM
May'44 on patrol just SE of the East entrance of La Perouse St. Finding pretty good hunting here. Pick up multiple contacts on radar that turns out to be a small convoy of fishing boats, or so I thought. I dove to periscope depth to avoid detection, and moved in for a closer look. When the range closed, I saw that these "sailed" fishing vessels had radio masts and rigging. I immediately battle surfaced, closed the range and commenced engageing with the DG. I successfully destroyed three of the four, as one slipped away and I wanted to clear the area ASAP in case they radioed for help. In any case, these boats sunk with loads of debris popping to the surface, as well as an oil slick. Obviously hauling a bit more than sushi!

fireftr18
02-05-13, 12:43 PM
I never encountered a fishing boat where I could see the radio equipment. Are you running a mod?

Armistead
02-05-13, 02:04 PM
Yep, Jap fishing boats carry radios and will report your position. Mods vary, but you'll also run into many neutral or generic fishing boats that won't report you. Just be careful for any fishing boats around Japan. Not to mention some of them carry large machine guns, although I've only seen it in TMO, not RSRD. I surfaced near one once, didn't see the gun and the dern thang almost sunk me before I got dived again.

Notice radio mast and sneaky gunner on deck.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2004-03-01_222513_171_zps63903941.png

fireftr18
02-05-13, 02:57 PM
Yep, Jap fishing boats carry radios and will report your position. Mods vary, but you'll also run into many neutral or generic fishing boats that won't report you. Just be careful for any fishing boats around Japan. Not to mention some of them carry large machine guns, although I've only seen it in TMO, not RSRD. I surfaced near one once, didn't see the gun and the dern thang almost sunk me before I got dived again.

http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu235/Armistead1424/SH4Img2004-03-01_222513_171_zps63903941.png

I see now that it's been pointed out. I really didn't know what to look for and thought it would be obvious.:hmm2:

Arlo
02-05-13, 03:23 PM
Wait ... there's neutral fishing boats? :huh:

Simmy
02-05-13, 04:01 PM
Most of them I run into in TMO have equipment and will rat you out in a heartbeat. If I even think they saw me I change course and run like hell. It's nothing to have a plane flying around looking for you in a short while, or a small TF comes running your way. If they know your there they think they can find you.:ping:

P.S. Armistead, I can't send you a message, your box is full up.

Armistead
02-05-13, 04:15 PM
OK, my many fans, I deleted a few.

Arlo
02-06-13, 11:18 AM
I just replenished with 24 more. Emails away.

Fish40
02-06-13, 11:55 AM

Those are them alright:yep:

captgeo
02-06-13, 04:52 PM
they do exist in RFB 1.5 . Been shot at by them a few times:huh:, but have only noticed them from Formosa to Japan in the E China Sea:hmmm:

MarkCt
02-06-13, 11:25 PM
And all this time I didn't think they had much purpose in the game. Great picture. Now I really won't feel bad about sinking them.

Armistead
02-07-13, 08:11 AM
I really don't think the game has enough fishing boats, even in RSRD. I've read numerous books where skippers spent days dodging fishing boats. I've put a lot more in RSRD and it does make thing interesting, moreso if you increase contact times/ranges.

captgeo
02-07-13, 12:06 PM
I see and dodge allot of "fishing boats" running RFB RSRD combo

avatar note* how the hell did I get to be a Jap ???????

must have done something.....hmmmmmm

Armistead
02-07-13, 12:15 PM
I see and dodge allot of "fishing boats" running RFB RSRD combo

You'll get a lot of fishing boat convoys in RSRD, what lacks is many staying in one area fishing. For instance, I have about 30 scattered around Formosa basically static or going 1kt. If they see me, they'll call one of the subkiller groups I have in the area. It also makes it tough doing end arounds.

MarkCt
02-08-13, 09:48 PM
So is it best to avoid them altogether? Even if you surface near them, sink them with your guns, they would still be able to radio your location in right? You can only get one at a time and the other three or so would be calling in your position.

Cybermat47
02-08-13, 09:51 PM

It's a promotion, and a damn fine one too.

Armistead
02-08-13, 10:47 PM
So is it best to avoid them altogether? Even if you surface near them, sink them with your guns, they would still be able to radio your location in right? You can only get one at a time and the other three or so would be calling in your position.

Not really, only if something is within the contact time, mods differ, could be 30 minutes to a few hours away. More than not, you don't have to worry except maybe for planes, unless near ports. Main thing is not to be spotted by one if a convoy or TF is near.

ColonelSandersLite
02-10-13, 11:57 AM
This reminds me of a story I read on the net somewhere.

A fleet boat operating somewhere in the pacific ran into a sailing vessel (ie fishing boat) armed with depth charges and a hydrophone set.

The long an short of it is that the old wooden sailing vessel made repeated passes on the sub, eventually forcing it to surface.

The sub's deck gun crew got lucky and put their first shot into the wheel house, which let them narrowly escape with their lives.

Edit:

ah here it is, verbatim I'll leave it to you guys to verify it's authenticity

wooden ships -
my father was on a submarine (USS RAZORBACK SS-394) in WWII off the coast of Japan when it was "discovered" and attacked by a japanese coastal trawler - WIND driven - SAIL boat - NO ENGINE/MOTOR - that was rigged for coastal patrol with passive sonar and depth charges. The trawler continued to silently stalk and to depth charge the Razorback, causing fires onboard while submerged; after several hours of depth charging (the submarine's torpedos/firing pins were ineffective against wooden hulls), with batteries running low, smoke/poisonous fumes taking it's toll on the crew of the disabled submerged vessel, the submarine captain decided to "emergency surface" - ONE gunner's mate raced to the small deck-gun of the submarine the moment it surfaced and got off ONE LUCKY SHOT that took out the "wheel-house" of the japanese sailboat. They escaped with their lives because that ONE LUCKY SHOT that took out the "wheel-house" of the japanese sailboat knocked out the sailboat's radio and fortunately, the japanese "coastal patrol" sailboat had never radio'd for support (air or surface support)
The Razorback immediately "escaped" the hostilities (with casualties), leaving the trawler behind

TorpX
02-10-13, 10:01 PM
These small boats were something of a challenge. That reminds me of O'Kane's attacking a armed yacht in a surface action. They tried to sink it with their deck gun, but after using up a large chunk of their ammunition, were force to abandon the effort. You would think a wooden-hulled boat would be very vulnerable to HE shell, but apparently not.

Arlo
02-11-13, 09:24 AM
The shells likely penetrated without exploding.

TorpX
02-12-13, 12:45 AM
Could be.

:subsim:

Fish40
02-12-13, 08:58 AM
Hard to imagine how these sail powered boats managed to go fast enough to escape the blast radius of their own depth charges:o I don't think they were America's Cup racing yaghts:haha:

TorpX
02-13-13, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure what kind of propulsion they had. If some had only sail, I think they would have to forgo depth charges.

captgeo
02-13-13, 09:37 AM
It's a promotion, and a damn fine one too.

ok, hell I thought it was the "other" way......LMAO:rotfl2:

Thank you