PDA

View Full Version : Dickon found!

Oberon
02-04-13, 06:39 AM
http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/images/localpeople/ugc-images/275788/Article/images/17940318/4503399.jpg

It's been over five hundred years, but finally the remains of one of Englands monarchy can be laid to rest properly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-21063882

I personally hope that he is given a proper full state burial as befits a monarch, it is of my opinion that Tudor propaganda should not be held against a man who, by many accounts, was much more just and righteous than the dynasty that followed him.

Long live the King! :salute:

Jimbuna
02-04-13, 07:09 AM
A lot of what has been said and written about him was because of how Shakespeare decided to portray him.

He was the last English king to be killed in battle.

It will be interesting to see what sort of formal burial he receives.

Tribesman
02-04-13, 07:27 AM
His remains didn't recieve a great welcome before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olrJwB0XdnM

Herr-Berbunch
02-04-13, 08:24 AM

To be reinterred at Leicester Cathedral, but yes, will it be a state funeral with full on pageantry with the current royals in attendance or just a local affair?

Jimbuna
02-04-13, 08:55 AM
To be reinterred at Leicester Cathedral, but yes, will it be a state funeral with full on pageantry with the current royals in attendance or just a local affair?

Good question...somewhere inbetween the two I should imagine.

Takeda Shingen
02-04-13, 10:05 AM
Shakespeare, a Tudor propagandist, would have naturally portrayed Richard in only the most unflattering light. And while having your brother and another prince exectued was never a nice thing, it was something that was all too common in the politics of the time, particularly where rebellion was involved. It should be kept in mind that Richard did also found the Courts of Requests, so the guy wasn't all bad.

Armistead
02-04-13, 10:09 AM
Yea, I could see dropping several mil for a good funeral, doubt the UK have any poor people.

Sailor Steve
02-04-13, 10:45 AM
Overall, I'd say this is pretty cool. :sunny:

Mork_417
02-04-13, 10:52 AM

:agree:

Herr-Berbunch
02-04-13, 10:55 AM
Yea, I could see dropping several mil for a good funeral, doubt the UK have any poor people.

Have you not met STEED? He is the only person taxed in the UK so I'm sure he'll be more than happy to stump up for a large state occasion. :03:

AVGWarhawk
02-04-13, 12:34 PM

:yep:

It is quite a story and a lot of hard work getting here.

STEED
02-04-13, 01:15 PM
Have you not met STEED? He is the only person taxed in the UK so I'm sure he'll be more than happy to stump up for a large state occasion. :03:

That's because Toff boy hates me. :stare:

Once we use good King Richard's DNA to clone him and then we can over throw Toff Boy! :)

u crank
02-04-13, 01:46 PM
Richard died during the Battle of Bosworth Field, the last English king to die in battle

Imagine, the leader of a country leading his army into battle.

Be nice if that that caught on again. :yep:

BossMark
02-04-13, 02:59 PM
Richard III has finally been declared "1485 Hide 'n Seek Champion".

Cybermat47
02-04-13, 04:03 PM

You want to see Queen Elizabeth II in Afghanistan, driving a tank?

Quick! Get Photoshop ready!

Oberon
02-04-13, 04:18 PM

Quick! Get Photoshop ready!

Nah, HRH does trucking and gunning.

http://db2.stb.s-msn.com/i/58/998D727D15CE36F9C7F8F5F1D6498.jpg

http://images.theage.com.au/2012/02/06/2941431/queen_20120206183529875904-600x400.jpg

Cybermat47
02-04-13, 04:19 PM
^^^^^

Yay!

I forgot that she was an ambulance driver in WWII.

And I wouldn't want to annoy her in the second pic...

Oberon
02-04-13, 04:21 PM
And I wouldn't want to annoy her in the second pic...

I wouldn't worry too much, I think that's the early model SA-80 in that pic, worst she could do is throw bits of it at you. :03:

u crank
02-04-13, 04:25 PM

No, but the Prime Minister would do just fine. :har:

Herr-Berbunch
02-04-13, 04:53 PM
Nah, HRH does trucking and gunning.

And I've heard her husband used to work at a French Mercedes dealership!

:03:

I wouldn't worry too much, I think that's the early model SA-80 in that pic, worst she could do is throw bits of it at you. :03:

That's the A1, the only time I've know them fall apart is after cleaning and some idiot forgets a pin. The issue with them is sand, can't fire them dry, and can't lubricate in sand. Should have stuck in W. Europe. The A2's much better though, money well spent. :sunny:

Jimbuna
02-04-13, 05:19 PM
That's because Toff boy hates me. :stare:

Once we use good King Richard's DNA to clone him and then we can over throw Toff Boy! :)

LOL :)

Rhodes
02-04-13, 05:53 PM
Cool photos of the skeleton! The 3rd degree osteoarthritis of the vertebra, nice!

Platapus
02-04-13, 08:04 PM
Come on guys.

King Richard III found under a carpark and no one is making a speed hump joke?????

Richard III
+
Hunchback
+
Carpark

Its all there. :yeah:

At least Shakespeare thought so

GT182
02-04-13, 08:24 PM
Ah so this is the duplicate on King Richard. Sorry but I didn't read this thread before posting mine. :oops:

:hmmm: But isn't the UK all about affairs... Royal or not? :03: At least he's getting a propper send off and burial.

Yes it would. I want to see Obama right there next to Queen Elizabeth in her tank.... riding on his flee infested camel. :D

Come on guys.

King Richard III found under a carpark and no one is making a speed hump joke?????

Nope, I believe he was found under the sidewalk. So.... he must have been sidewalk humping.

yubba
02-04-13, 08:39 PM
Come on guys.

Richard III
+
Hunchback
+
Carpark

With all those cars running over him must have gotten the hump out, at least his name wasn't Phil..

nikimcbee
02-04-13, 08:50 PM

:har: Beat me to the punch. Since Steed is flipping the bill, put me down for tickets.

We'll just change Steed's name to Seabass and...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUvV0BOiE6E

TLAM Strike
02-04-13, 09:09 PM
Don't we have enough politicians? Do you really see a necessity in digging up more? :O:

Onkel Neal
02-04-13, 11:44 PM
Richard III has finally been declared "1485 Hide 'n Seek Champion".

That made me :haha:

Oberon
02-05-13, 01:00 AM
And I've heard her husband used to work at a French Mercedes dealership!

:03:

That's the A1, the only time I've know them fall apart is after cleaning and some idiot forgets a pin. The issue with them is sand, can't fire them dry, and can't lubricate in sand. Should have stuck in W. Europe. The A2's much better though, money well spent. :sunny:

I've heard it called 'The Civil Servant' - It didn't work and couldn't be fired. But yes, the A2s are a nice weapon and the sights, even before the recent upgrades, are quite astounding, how it manages to adjust between short and long range so easily with minimal blurriness. I was impressed when I took a look at the demo weapon at an airshow. Of course, this is from the Ministry that brought you the Sterling, RB44, and the Rarden. :doh:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Category:British_Military_Procurement_Mysteries

Cybermat47
02-05-13, 03:33 AM
I wonder if the truth of what happened at Bosworth Field will ever become general knowledge. I mean, Richards nephews grew up to be full grown men, and Richard was actually killed by his sniveling great nephew Edmund: the 'Black Adder.'

Mork_417
02-05-13, 06:47 AM
Come on guys.

Richard III
+
Hunchback
+
Carpark

Wouldn't this be more appropriate?
http://jonathanbrim.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Donts-tread-shirt-designed.jpg

Herr-Berbunch
02-05-13, 07:39 AM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/2906/richardiiir.jpg

Bilge_Rat
02-05-13, 09:45 AM
very interesting news.

Regarding the funeral, he was King of England, so it will be a "royal funeral" and should be handled appropriately in the circumstances.

I would not be surprised if some of the royals attended, certainly not the Queen, but perhaps Charles or one of his sons. Richard was not only a king, but also family since Henry VII, his "successor" married Richard's niece to strengthen his claim to the throne.

Plus if the Royals don't attend, it will just keep fueling the conspiracy theories that the Tudors are not the rightful Kings/Queens of England.

R.I.P King Richard.

frau kaleun
02-05-13, 09:48 AM
As someone who once went through a long obsession with the whole Plantagenet/York/Lancaster thing, I have to say that this is indeed very, very cool. :rock:

What I don't understand though is how they knew to dig there. :hmmm:

Maybe they just had a hunch?

Sailor Steve
02-05-13, 10:45 AM
Frau K, I think your logic is skewed. Curved, even.

Herr-Berbunch
02-05-13, 10:45 AM
As someone who once went through a long obsession with the whole Plantagenet/York/Lancaster thing

Describe this long obsession. Did you visit these places? Have you stallked all the belligerents on facebook? Can you explain why all the plants are named Janet?

:roll:

:nope:

:O:

Sailor Steve
02-05-13, 10:58 AM
Plus if the Royals don't attend, it will just keep fueling the conspiracy theories that the Tudors are not the rightful Kings/Queens of England.
"Are"? There hasn't been a Tudor monarch since Elizabeth I died in 1603. Well, a case could be made for a very loose connection from Liz1's cousin Mary Queen of Scots, through her granddaughter Elizabeth Stuart, herself the grandmother of George I, but it's a bit of a stretch to call the Tudors.

Singed
02-05-13, 11:03 AM
As someone who once went through a long obsession with the whole Plantagenet/York/Lancaster thing, I have to say that this is indeed very, very cool. :rock:

I've read they strongly suspected he was buried at Greyfriars and the parking lot would have been on grounds? Anyway, as a history geek, fascinating stuff.

Bilge_Rat
02-05-13, 11:58 AM
"Are"? There hasn't been a Tudor monarch since Elizabeth I died in 1603. Well, a case could be made for a very loose connection from Liz1's cousin Mary Queen of Scots, through her granddaughter Elizabeth Stuart, herself the grandmother of George I, but it's a bit of a stretch to call the Tudors.

yes, but they all trace their "claim" back to Henry VII. Queen Elizabeth herself is a direct descendant of Henry VII. Henry VII himself had a tenuous claim to the throne.

After the death of King Richard III, many of his relatives had a better claim to the english crown than Henry. In fact, the Tudors had several potential male claimants killed off after 1485, following very dodgy "trials", the very thing they accused King Richard of doing.

Jimbuna
02-05-13, 12:04 PM

I've read they strongly suspected he was buried at Greyfriars and the parking lot would have been on grounds? Anyway, as a history geek, fascinating stuff.

For centuries, the location of Richard’s body has been unknown. Records say he was buried by the Franciscan monks of Grey Friars at their church in Leicester, 160 kilometres north of London. The church was closed and dismantled after King Henry VIII dissolved the monasteries in 1538, and its location eventually was forgotten.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/02/04/beyond-reasonable-doubt-king-richard-iiis-remains-found-buried-beneath-england-parking-lot/

AVGWarhawk
02-05-13, 12:29 PM
The location became a parking lot if I read correctly. :hmmm:

Jimbuna
02-05-13, 12:56 PM
The location became a parking lot if I read correctly. :hmmm:

Rgr that Chris

AVGWarhawk
02-05-13, 12:59 PM
Gosh, the history of where we have been and who we were buried under tar so a electric car can park for a recharge. Astonishing how history is squashed in the name of advancement.

Well, I hope he is granted all the honors befitting a king!

Jimbuna
02-05-13, 01:02 PM
Some would say he was...stripped naked and dragged by a rope tied around his neck to be shown to the people by his victor/vanquisher.

Pretty wicked treatment even for those days :o

AVGWarhawk
02-05-13, 01:06 PM
Did they not say a weapon of some sort looked to be used in his rear area that would have indicated being humiliated?

Jimbuna
02-05-13, 01:10 PM
Did they not say a weapon of some sort looked to be used in his rear area that would have indicated being humiliated?

I have read a few 'non authorative' versions....one stating it was an arrow in his back and another saying a blunt instrument in the rectum :dead:

Bilge_Rat
02-05-13, 01:19 PM
Although that was probably post-mortem, I read he had around 10 head injuries, any 2 of which would have been fatal.

His injuries would appear consistent with accounts of the battle, that he was surrounded by a group of enemy soldiers and went down fighting.

AVGWarhawk
02-05-13, 01:23 PM
I have read a few 'non authorative' versions....one stating it was an arrow in his back and another saying a blunt instrument in the rectum :dead:

Yes, that is what I read. It was a humiliation wound as told. We were quite barbaric back in the day.

Oberon
02-05-13, 01:29 PM
Osteology was also employed to analyse the condition of the bones. They are generally in good condition and largely complete, apart from the missing feet, which appear to have been destroyed by Victorian building work. It was immediately apparent that the body had suffered major injuries, and further evidence of wounds was found as the skeleton was cleaned.[/URL]
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_of_Richard_III_of_England#cite_note-Osteology-15)The skull shows signs of two lethal injuries; the base of the back of the skull had been completely cut away by a bladed weapon, exposing the brain, and another bladed weapon had been thrust through the right side of the skull to impact the inside of the left side through the brain.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_of_Richard_III_of_England#cite_note-23)Elsewhere on the skull, a blow from a pointed weapon had penetrated the crown of the head. Bladed weapons had also clipped the skull and sheared off layers of bone, without penetrating it.The chin and cheek show injuries consistent with dagger wounds. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_of_Richard_III_of_England#cite_note-24) The body also bears marks of violence. One of the right ribs had been cut by a sharp implement, as had the pelvis.The arms bear no sign of the later description of one of them being withered.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_of_Richard_III_of_England#cite_note-What_the_bones-27"] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhumation_of_Richard_III_of_England#cite_note-Body-26)
Taken together, the injuries appear to be a combination of battle wounds, which were probably the cause of death, followed by post-mortem "humiliation wounds" inflicted on the corpse. Notably, the skull wounds would have been prevented if the person had been wearing a helmet. It had clearly been lost by the time he received his head injuries. The body wounds indicate that the corpse had been stripped of its armour, as the stabbed torso would have been protected by a backplate while the pelvis would also have been protected by armour. The wounds were made from behind on the back and buttocks while they were exposed to the elements, consistent with the contemporary descriptions of Richard's naked body being tied across a horse with the legs and arms dangling down on either side. There may well have been further flesh wounds but these are not apparent from the bones

Fortunately it would appear that Richard was dead by the time the humiliation injuries were inflicted on him, rough treatment yes, but not uncommon for the times.
It's said that Richard, sensing the battle was turning against him, lead a cavalry charge to within striking distance of Henry before his horse was bogged down and a Welsh Halberdier smashed home a devastating blow, quite possibly knocking off his helmet and allowing the rest of the blows from Henrys men to finally bring him down.
Even Henry VIIs official historian credited Richard with being 'killed fighting manfully in the thickest press of his enemies'.

AVGWarhawk
02-05-13, 01:32 PM
Fortunately it would appear that Richard was dead by the time the humiliation injuries were inflicted on him, rough treatment yes, but not uncommon for the times.
It's said that Richard, sensing the battle was turning against him, lead a cavalry charge to within striking distance of Henry before his horse was bogged down and a Welsh Halberdier smashed home a devastating blow, quite possibly knocking off his helmet and allowing the rest of the blows from Henrys men to finally bring him down.
Even Henry VIIs official historian credited Richard with being 'killed fighting manfully in the thickest press of his enemies'.

This read like a Hollywood script! :up:

eddie
02-05-13, 01:46 PM
They've already done what they concider a recontruction of his face and how he might have looked at the time.

http://photoblog.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/05/16852349-king-richard-iiis-face-revealed-after-500-years?lite

Sailor Steve
02-05-13, 02:19 PM
Queen Elizabeth herself is a direct descendant of Henry VII.You're right, I missed that part. On the other hand through Henry's wife she is also descended from the House of York, which would still make her claim to the throne valid.

Bilge_Rat
02-05-13, 02:28 PM
You're right, I missed that part. On the other hand through Henry's wife she is also descended from the House of York, which would still make her claim to the throne valid.

yes, and there is also the unwritten "right of conquest" which no one wants to openly acknowledge. Many Kings got their crown that way.

Sailor Steve
02-05-13, 02:40 PM
Good point! :sunny:

nikimcbee
02-05-13, 03:02 PM
The face of Richard:
http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/i8moXs4.Ceu.0mlmJ.gtAw--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD00MjI7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2013-02-05T140326Z_2080100080_LM1E92512O401_RTRMADP_3_BRIT AIN.JPG

Looks familiar...:hmm2:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb61960/villains/images/thumb/3/3a/Lord_Farquaad.jpg/130px-0,150,5,138-Lord_Farquaad.jpg

Jimbuna
02-05-13, 03:35 PM
LOL :)