PDA

View Full Version : Why no 'I'?

u crank
02-03-13, 01:41 PM
I have just recently noticed that on the Kriegsmarine grid square map there is no second letter I. There is AH then AJ. DH then DJ.

Any one know why? :hmmm:

Red October1984
02-03-13, 01:44 PM
:o :o :o

Whoa...

Troublous_Haze
02-03-13, 01:56 PM
I have just recently noticed that on the Kriegsmarine grid square map there is no second letter I. There is AH then AJ. DH then DJ.

Any one know why? :hmmm:

Could you please stop smoking weed before the patrol please :)

HundertzehnGustav
02-03-13, 02:00 PM
many armies exclude the I when it can be confused with an 1.
same for O and 0...

u crank
02-03-13, 02:19 PM
Could you please stop smoking weed before the patrol please :)

I need some thing to calm my nerves.:O:

many armies exclude the I when it can be confused with an 1.
same for O and 0...

Good point but.. there are O's on the map.:)

HundertzehnGustav
02-03-13, 04:20 PM
i said many. i have no proof that the kriegsmarine did it because of that specific reason...

Sailor Steve
02-03-13, 05:46 PM
The KM grid map has no 'I', not because it can be confused with '1', but because it can be confused with 'J'. Same with the US Air Force when giving sub-variant letters to aircraft.

Oddly, though the Royal Navy had both 'J' and 'I' class destroyers in WW2, in WW1 there was no 'J' class, for the same reason.

u crank
02-03-13, 06:40 PM
Thank you Steve. Good to know.

:salute:

HundertzehnGustav
02-04-13, 03:36 AM
The KM grid map has no 'I', not because it can be confused with '1', but because it can be confused with 'J'. Same with the US Air Force when giving sub-variant letters to aircraft.

Oddly, though the Royal Navy had both 'J' and 'I' class destroyers in WW2, in WW1 there was no 'J' class, for the same reason.

? Okay makes sense!
But!
I thought there was a F-4J?
Weird...
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_F-4#F-4J

ah well... its not such a strict thing i guess...

Sailor Steve
02-04-13, 10:16 AM
?I thought there was a F-4J?
Weird...
There was an F-4J. There was no F-4I.

Likewise in WW2 there was a P-38J, but no P-38I.

Gustav Schiebert
02-04-13, 01:33 PM
Further to Sailor Steve's answer - might be due to the fact there are no number 1s on typewriters, you use lower case 'L's instead. So lower case 'L' is reserved for number 1, and all KTBs were typed up on typewriters on return to base.

Combine that with the fact that most military telegraph printers of the day printed in lower case (in order to differenciate between 'o' for Oscar and the number 0), so there's no way of differenciating between a '1' and an 'L'.

Don't know that for a fact, just those two seperate bits of trivia (I use a typewriter at work oddly enough) might also be contributing factors in this typographical conundrum.