PDA

View Full Version : Historical Question for y'all Historians

Stewmeat95
02-01-13, 10:52 PM
I ran into a large friendly convoy moving north about 30 nm east of pearl on August 29 1942. It consisted of the following ships

4 Clemson Destroyers
2 Fletcher Class
1 Omaha light cruiser
3 Northampton heavy cruisers
2 Somers Destroyers
1 Fleet carrier

I was wondering if anyone could possibly ID what convoy it was and what mission it was on, if historically accurate. Just an interest I had, thanks. I have a screenshot if the formation of the convoy means anything

happymeal2
02-01-13, 11:25 PM
Not sure what mission it was on but it was likely the fleet carrier was likely the Enterprise; it was the only (or maybe by that point one of the few) fleet carriers in the Pacific at the time, as the rest had been knocked off or seriously beaten up.

EDIT: My bad, it seems the Big E was in the Guadalcanal area at that time, wasnt back in pearl til early september, and certainly not east of pearl as its repairs were done there. It could have been the hornet which got out of harbor around that time from radar refitting; Definitely was not the wasp or lex, they were both sunk by that point. If it was the Hornet, it was headed for the solomons. That seems to be the only logical option as the Enterprise, as stated above was in the Guadalcanal area, Saratoga was there as well, the rest had been sunk, and the first newly built fleet carrier did not hit the Pacific until 1943 (USS Essex CV-9). Bets on the Hornet headed for the south pacific, assuming the timeframes arent perfectly accurate as it was already well past pearl by the 29th.

Stewmeat95
02-01-13, 11:53 PM
Not sure what mission it was on but it was likely the fleet carrier was likely the Enterprise; it was the only (or maybe by that point one of the few) fleet carriers in the Pacific at the time, as the rest had been knocked off or seriously beaten up.

EDIT: My bad, it seems the Big E was in the Guadalcanal area at that time, wasnt back in pearl til early september, and certainly not east of pearl as its repairs were done there. It could have been the hornet which got out of harbor around that time from radar refitting; Definitely was not the wasp or lex, they were both sunk by that point. If it was the Hornet, it was headed for the solomons. That seems to be the only logical option as the Enterprise, as stated above was in the Guadalcanal area, Saratoga was there as well, the rest had been sunk, and the first newly built fleet carrier did not hit the Pacific until 1943 (USS Essex CV-9). Bets on the Hornet headed for the south pacific, assuming the timeframes arent perfectly accurate as it was already well past pearl by the 29th.

Very cool! Thanks.

TorpX
02-03-13, 12:06 AM
I was wondering if anyone could possibly ID what convoy it was and what mission it was on, if historically accurate.
You didn't say what kind of mods you are using, if any.

If you are talking about stock, much traffic is random and the correlation with history is low. It could well be just a random generated group. If you are using RSRDC, then go with what happymeal says.

Armistead
02-03-13, 11:20 AM
What were you doing east of Pearl, ignoring the war.:haha:

Stock is crappy and unhistoric. I believe TF 18 with the Wasp left SF and headed to the Solomons sometime in August. The Wasp was sunk in Sep there by a Jap sub, so maybe this was the group if you're using RSRD.

tater
02-03-13, 12:30 PM
If it was RSRDC, it was real, if it was stock, the chances of it being remotely realistic are vanishingly small.