PDA

View Full Version : BBC News Magazine: Should people be off on Fridays?

Gerald
02-01-13, 05:37 AM
The Gambia has shortened the work week, making Friday a day of rest. Is this the perfect pattern for a working week?

n the tiny African nation of The Gambia, public sector workers will now clock in at 8am and clock out at 6pm, Monday to Thursday. They'll still do a 40-hour week but have the luxury of Friday off.

President Jammeh wants the extra rest day to "allow Gambians to devote more time to prayers, social activities and agriculture".

In the dark days of the 19th Century, many workers in industrialised nations considered themselves lucky if they got Sunday off. The achievement of a 40-hour week with Saturday and Sunday off for many was a major landmark for the labour movement.

But some have tried to go further.

In 2008, about 17,000 government officials in the US state of Utah started working four 10-hour days in a bid to cut costs. The experiment didn't last: the five-day week was reinstated in 2011.

Other US states have also toyed with the idea. Oregon and Texas legislators considered - but did not pass - four-day work week bills, while Georgia and Virginia have trialled it at a handful of agencies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21242782

Why a Friday? The day off may be any day of the week....Mondays are a good day to leave too :hmmm:

Note: 1 February 2013 Last updated at 01:13 GMT

Oberon
02-01-13, 06:37 AM
Fridays are POETS day.

BossMark
02-01-13, 06:42 AM
Friday is beer day :yep:

Platapus
02-01-13, 06:54 AM
I wish my job would let me work four 10 hour days. That would be cool.

Sammi79
02-01-13, 07:15 AM

I've been arguing that my whole life. I am certain more would get done in the same amount of time.

currently though I am happy with my freelance career that allows me to work 84+ hours a week with no days off for 6-8 weeks at a time, and after 2 or 3 jobs like this pretty much pays for the rest of the year. It helps being single of course, my X partners have invariably tended to struggle with the long absences.

5 days @8hrs with only 4 weeks holiday per year rips out my will to live in ~6 months without fail. I have tried several times, and I will not try again. 4 days @10hrs I would definitely consider though.

Herr-Berbunch
02-01-13, 08:13 AM
Friday used to be POETS day, but then it used to be only a half day on a Wednesday too.

To get those, and extra, in modern times you need to be in the UK military, Wed pm = sports (followed by beer), Thurs = beer call, Fri = POETS. Really unlucky and you get to work the weekend but these should be few and far between.

The best day to invade the UK with minimal resistance is always going to be the Thursday before Good Friday - too late to organise anything, and nobody will come back till Tuesday.

Gerald
02-01-13, 08:17 AM
Friday used to be POETS day, but then it used to be only a half day on a Wednesday too.

To get those, and extra, in modern times you need to be in the UK military, Wed pm = sports (followed by beer), Thurs = beer call, Fri = POETS. Really unlucky and you get to work the weekend but these should be few and far between.

The best day to invade the UK with minimal resistance is always going to be the Thursday before Good Friday - too late to organise anything, and nobody will come back till Tuesday. Thursday...I keep that in mind :D

STEED
02-01-13, 08:51 AM
Make the working week Monday-Wednesday so we can all have a nice long weekend. :DL

Herr-Berbunch
02-01-13, 09:06 AM
But we'd then need Monday off to recover from that nice long weekend. :doh:

Gerald
02-01-13, 09:40 AM
^You may sleep on the job :O:

Onkel Neal
02-01-13, 11:03 AM

I'm angling for 4 days of 8 hours at my shop. Give me 3 day weekends for life. :shucks:

The Enigma
02-01-13, 11:15 AM
If we changed Monday into Friday, then we only have to work one day each week :D

Armistead
02-01-13, 02:00 PM
I worked 6-7 days a week, about 70 hrs, then took Dec-Feb off.....Now my wife works.....:up:

Jimbuna
02-01-13, 02:20 PM
Fridays are POETS day.

Seldom read or hear that these days :03:

Madox58
02-01-13, 02:46 PM
I worked 6-7 days a week, about 70 hrs, then took Dec-Feb off.....Now my wife works.....:up:

70 hours?
:o

Oh how I WISH that was all I worked in a week.
:D

Jimbuna
02-01-13, 04:19 PM
70 hours?
:o

Oh how I WISH that was all I worked in a week.
:D

You under the influence of reality again :D

TLAM Strike
02-01-13, 04:37 PM
Why a Friday? The Gambia is 90% Muslim, Friday is their holy day.

fireftr18
02-01-13, 04:39 PM
Fire dept job. 24 hours on duty, 48 hours off.
Then we get to work our 2nd job so that we can make a decent living. :haha:
Take one day off and get 5 off in a row.

Now my take home from my pension is almost as much as my take home from my salary. I still work part time. Irregular hours.

Gerald
02-01-13, 11:37 PM
The Gambia is 90% Muslim, Friday is their holy day.My expression in that it was a Friday, and not so much the religious aspect of the text,:03:

Tchocky
02-02-13, 07:53 AM
Been working 4-on 2-off for so long I've forgotten what a real weekend is :P

Jimbuna
02-02-13, 11:26 AM
Fire dept job. 24 hours on duty, 48 hours off.
Then we get to work our 2nd job so that we can make a decent living. :haha:
Take one day off and get 5 off in a row.

Now my take home from my pension is almost as much as my take home from my salary. I still work part time. Irregular hours.

A popular second job with UK Firefighters is working for undertakers.