PDA

View Full Version : Students shot in School shooting

Cybermat47
01-31-13, 06:07 PM
http://www.news.com.au/world/two-shot-at-price-middle-school-in-georgia/story-fndir2ev-1226566379028

I'm really getting sick and tired of hearing this :nope:

Obelix
01-31-13, 06:20 PM
http://www.news.com.au/world/two-shot-at-price-middle-school-in-georgia/story-fndir2ev-1226566379028

Me too! This is what that epidemic. Soon school will be similar to what some secret base: checkpoints, metal detectors, security guards and video surveillance (video surveillance, by the way, even in our provincial schools already in place). Such prospects are already considered in our schools. It is sad that this is going.

August
01-31-13, 06:28 PM
Although this thread title says otherwise there are no deaths in this incident.

Cybermat47
01-31-13, 06:29 PM
Although this thread title says otherwise there are no deaths in this incident.

Damn. I took the words 'shot' to be 'dead'. Let's just hope that the thread title remains incorrect.

August
01-31-13, 06:31 PM
Damn. I took the words 'shot' to be 'dead'. Let's just hope that the thread title remains incorrect.

Latest word is the kid is alert and talking.

Cybermat47
01-31-13, 06:33 PM
Latest word is the kid is alert and talking.

Thank God! Should I PM NeonSamurai or Neal so that they can change the title?

Oberon
01-31-13, 06:45 PM

Turn the internet, television and radio off.

Problem solved.

Oh, and don't read any newspapers...or talk to anyone.

AVGWarhawk
01-31-13, 06:46 PM
None-the-less, there was a shooting at a school. I do not know what the answer is to prevent anymore.

Tribesman
01-31-13, 06:51 PM
None-the-less, there was a shooting at a school. I do not know what the answer is to prevent anymore.
The answer is simple. Ban schools.

Ducimus
01-31-13, 07:10 PM
Ill just repost this here then.

To me it sounds like one indvidual had some serious issues with another. I think there was another shooting a week or two ago. Very similar, and ill bet dollars to donuts, it was gang related. Two guys shooting at each other after a yelling match if i remember correctly.

Shootings like this are nothing new, and in fact, ill say that when i was growing up, the problems of shooting were WORSE THEN THEY ARE NOW. Or to put it another way, kids growing up now, aren't dealing with HALF the crap i had to put up with. I graduated high school in 1992. In my four years in high school we had a lot of gang problems, which resulted in at least 7 drive by shootings that I know of.

One of which, i was witness too. On that day, I was driving to work after getting out of class and for some stupid reason, I decided to go down the most congested street that day. Suddenly, I heard a "Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop" from somewhere behind me, I looked around i saw people diving to the ground, or into bush's, and then the realization hit me that it was a shooting. I ducked down in my car and got as close to the floor as i could. A min after the shooting stopped, i looked up, and saw a bullet hole in the left rail of the rollup door of a UPS truck that was in front of me. I'd say it missed the left side of my car by two feet. Once the traffic cleared, breathed a sigh of releif , continued my way to work, and never drove down that street again.

As it turns out, it was gang related. Hell, when i went to school I had to worry about being knifed, beaten with baseball bats, fist bats, and being shot at. The best thing to do, was don't get involved with or piss off the wrong people, don't go walking around where you shouldn't be, and mind your own damn business. Kids nowadays don't deal with that on the level that i did, at least not where i grew up, and in my area I went to the good high school. The other was WORSE. You know what ended the violence? The local PD opened an office in my old high school. Resource officers i think they're called. Yup, just like the NRA was saying, armed security, and it worked. I know because ive seen it happen.

EDIT: By the way, the shooting i was witness too, the gang bangers hit their intended target. I don't know who he was, but he was hit several times and air lifted via helecopter to Loma Linda hospital, and never heard of again. I assume he died. This was in 1990 or 1991.

Skybird
01-31-13, 08:25 PM
This is incident number - which one since the famous elementary school shooting short time ago? Fourth? Fifth? Sixth? There is no calm, no patience in modern life anymore. Numbers are galloping, everything is going so fast, everybody is in stress and hectic - it is difficult to keep up with events.

Obviously, there are not enough weapons in the hands of people to keep other people with weapons in their hands in check. The conclusion is easy and recommends itself. There must be more weapons sold. Make the freedom to own weapons a mandatory obligation by law! That helps jobs, and the state could boost the economy by helping sales with tax reliefs and financial aid programs for the dispossessed and the poor people who else could not afford a gun. One village had made gun owning mandatory and claimed a drop in crime, some years ago, and we all know how criminal public spaces and school have become these days. With that in place nationwide, people can peacefully sleep again, knowing that all the violent movies and the culture of violence being celebrated and all the fear mongering and weapons fetishism cannot do any more harm. First thing I'd do if I would start a life in the US, would be to go and buy me a weapon. Heck, I would do that even before I get my passport from the guy at the pointed end of my gun! :up:

137 lethal school shootings in the US from 1980 to 2012. And that is just school shooting incidents.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/12/sandy_hook_a_chart_of_all_196_fatal_school_shootin gs_since_1980_map.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_new town_sandy_hook_shooting.html

mapuc
01-31-13, 08:42 PM
I have said it before and I say it again

To you American, get use to it. It will get worse, if you don't find a solution to your gun problem.

I do hope that you'll find a solution that both party can join and do solve the problem.

Markus

Oberon
01-31-13, 08:58 PM
In before grand generalisation of European feeling and/or insult of entire European continent.

(Since I can't already put 'in before smug European incitement of delicate American subject')

In fact, sod it, let's just get this out of the way:

1) Shock thread posting chosen to incite feelings
2) Feelings incited
3) Anti-gun says I told you so
4) Pro-gun denies relation
5) Anti-gun provides facts
6) Pro-gun provides facts
7) Anti-gun provides insults
8) Pro-gun provides insults
9) Anti-gun or Pro-gun claims other is troll and will ignore them
10) Thread drops until the next incident or 'fact' is found to re-stir up the feelings and incitement.

There...can we just skip 4 through 9 and go straight to 10?

August
01-31-13, 09:19 PM
As someone else said gun violence is only a symptom of our real problem. We've created a society that is breeding these child killers in ever larger numbers and we have to get to the bottom of why and stop it or no amount of gun control is going to keep us from falling into the abyss.

We had guns all around us growing up but actually shooting each other over schoolyard tussles just never entered our minds this in spite of the fact that we'd often spend recess playing army or cowboys and indians.

Something happened to our society between then and now. There's been lots and lots of changes. Figuring this out is not going to be easy, and it'll get no easier by polarizing people against each other. The more they argue over gun control the less likely the two sides will ever be able to work together to solve the actual problem.

Stealhead
01-31-13, 09:27 PM
Ill just repost this here then.

To me it sounds like one indvidual had some serious issues with another. I think there was another shooting a week or two ago. Very similar, and ill bet dollars to donuts, it was gang related. Two guys shooting at each other after a yelling match if i remember correctly.

Shootings like this are nothing new, and in fact, ill say that when i was growing up, the problems of shooting were WORSE THEN THEY ARE NOW. Or to put it another way, kids growing up now, aren't dealing with HALF the crap i had to put up with. I graduated high school in 1992. In my four years in high school we had a lot of gang problems, which resulted in at least 7 drive by shootings that I know of.

One of which, i was witness too. On that day, I was driving to work after getting out of class and for some stupid reason, I decided to go down the most congested street that day. Suddenly, I heard a "Pop pop pop pop pop pop pop" from somewhere behind me, I looked around i saw people diving to the ground, or into bush's, and then the realization hit me that it was a shooting. I ducked down in my car and got as close to the floor as i could. A min after the shooting stopped, i looked up, and saw a bullet hole in the left rail of the rollup door of a UPS truck that was in front of me. I'd say it missed the left side of my car by two feet. Once the traffic cleared, breathed a sigh of releif , continued my way to work, and never drove down that street again.

As it turns out, it was gang related. Hell, when i went to school I had to worry about being knifed, beaten with baseball bats, fist bats, and being shot at. The best thing to do, was don't get involved with or piss off the wrong people, don't go walking around where you shouldn't be, and mind your own damn business. Kids nowadays don't deal with that on the level that i did, at least not where i grew up, and in my area I went to the good high school. The other was WORSE. You know what ended the violence? The local PD opened an office in my old high school. Resource officers i think they're called. Yup, just like the NRA was saying, armed security, and it worked. I know because ive seen it happen.

EDIT: By the way, the shooting i was witness too, the gang bangers hit their intended target. I don't know who he was, but he was hit several times and air lifted via helecopter to Loma Linda hospital, and never heard of again. I assume he died. This was in 1990 or 1991.

Sounds like an experience my cousin and aunt had back in the early 90's down in Miami.At the time my cousin was playing on the high school soccer team and he wanted some special pair of shoes to play in.The store these shoes where sold from was in a "model" Miami neighborhood.

While my aunt and cousin where walking back to their car some sort of gang or drug related shoot out started so they both laid on the ground behind some parked cars.What they found more shocking than the shoot out was the local
woman who was also taking cover near by she showed no real concern on her face having to take cover from a gang banger shoot out a every day thing to her.

I think your experience is not too uncommon for people who grew up in larger inner cities just based on similar accounts I have heard from folks that live/lived in such locations.A good friend of mine his father lives in a "model" area of Baltimore over the past decade every vehicle he has owned has been hit by a stray bullet.Depending on where you live you are going to see things and deal with things that others do not have to contend with.

Armistead
01-31-13, 09:40 PM
These mass school shootings really started in the 1990's, that may be a point to look at. If one compares the history of school shooting back to the 1700's, we can see we're in different times. What changed?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States

The rise of the internet age.

A violent entertainment industry, no clear line between the good guy and the bad guy.

Youth being placed on mind altering prescibed meds increased several thousand percent.

Possibly lack of belief, although I don't want God in school, seems this left a moral vacuum. I know growing up, we always felt an eye in the sky was watching us.

Youth with an entitled mindset, everyone gets an award, no one gets picked on.....If I don't get what I want, I can blame others.

The generation that taught parents to become friends with their children instead of parents.

Anyway, somehow we've created the perfect storm and it will continue, it's the in thing today to get back at the world. No amount of gun control is gonna resolve it, it's all about protecting our kids in every way possible. Imagine the debate when a kid shoots up a school with a fully auto illegal weapon smuggled across the Mexican border...will the Dems want to close the border down, I doubt it. The fact is they want to attack legal weapons because the gun lobby supports the GOP.

August
01-31-13, 10:35 PM
It's not just guns. Mass killings of random innocent people, of which school shootings are one horrible facet, started in this country back in 1927 in the Bath School Massacre (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster), still the deadliest mass murder in a school in US History.

BTW in 1927 you could buy a full auto Thompson Submachine gun as well as 100 round drum magazines with no government regulation involved at all. The killer chose to use explosives instead.

Stealhead
01-31-13, 10:38 PM
Nah... people have been killing each other since the dawn of time it is nothing new sadly.I think in general the level violence in this world is about the same as it has always been.

What is different in modern times is mass media and their desire to make money the way they make money is by attracting viewers the best way to attract viewers is by talking as much about what people fear the most which is why you see so much about this disease or that one or why you hear about this evil nation or that one.

The other thing that mass media knows is that many people are vicarious and they like to see and hear about nasty things from the safety of their living room.Combine these together and you have a news network and a lot of money.

August
01-31-13, 10:50 PM
You know another thing that has changed is privacy while traveling.

Back in the day taking the train trolly or bus, riding in an open carriage, even stopping for gas where a bunch of attendants would swarm over the vehicle, when one traveled it was almost always under the scrutiny of many eyes.

Nowadays we are in near perfect privacy from our garages to our destination. That makes it much easier for these killers to get geared up to commit maximum damage. Imagine the Newtown killer having to ride the trolly to get to that school. It'd be pretty difficult to hide all that ordinance for very long or carry much ammo for what he weapons he could conceal.

Cybermat47
01-31-13, 11:29 PM
^^^

Hence the term 'the good old days'.

August
01-31-13, 11:35 PM
^^^

Hence the term 'the good old days'.

They had their problems too and many of them society has addressed to some degree but something was also lost along the way I think.

Ducimus
02-01-13, 08:08 AM
137 lethal school shootings in the US from 1980 to 2012. And that is just school shooting incidents.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/map_of_the_week/2012/12/sandy_hook_a_chart_of_all_196_fatal_school_shootin gs_since_1980_map.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/crime/2012/12/gun_death_tally_every_american_gun_death_since_new town_sandy_hook_shooting.html

Oh yea, lets make another gun control thread. Sure why not. Hell i haven't done anything but talk gun control for the last month and a half. So what's one more thread, on one more forum.

So the same tired anti argument, get's the same tired rebuttle about those crime stats. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0)

The reason I posted my own experiences in this matter, was to illustrate that times are not as bad as they used to be. Things have actually improved. In my experience, the problem wasn't guns, the problem was gangs, which can be furthered filtered down to social and economic problems. And in terms of social and economical problems, treating the symptoms of the problem won't fix the problem, you have to go after the cause.

Tribesman
02-01-13, 09:17 AM
So the same tired anti argument, get's the same tired rebuttle about those crime stats. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooa98FHuaU0)

Posting the same video by the same muppet with the same mistakes again.:88)
Unless america counts "shouting at someone" as a violent crime then he cannot compare the England/Wales statistics with American ones to make a point on levels of recorded violent crime.

AVGWarhawk
02-01-13, 09:22 AM
The answer is simple. Ban schools.

:haha:

Good one Tribesman!

Tribesman
02-01-13, 09:43 AM
Just think of it Warhawk.
Everyone knows schools are just a liberal conspiracy with unionised teachers braiwashing kids into socalifornianism.
Kill two birds with one stone.
Have home skool where mom can be kept domesticated while teaching the younguns in the safety of the prepper skool bunker.
Meanwhile dad can stand out in the yard with his Bushmaster yelling moron lube at passing cars just to ensure the family is safe.

AVGWarhawk
02-01-13, 10:01 AM
Just think of it Warhawk.
Everyone knows schools are just a liberal conspiracy with unionised teachers braiwashing kids into socalifornianism.
Kill two birds with one stone.
Have home skool where mom can be kept domesticated while teaching the younguns in the safety of the prepper skool bunker.
Meanwhile dad can stand out in the yard with his Bushmaster yelling moron lube at passing cars just to ensure the family is safe.

This sounds like a movie. I'm not a fan of home schooling. I believe the kids miss out on social interaction with others their age. Good, bad or indifferent, my friends growing up had an influence on me. Prepper School bunker :haha:. I guess there is a 20 year supply of #2 pencils. :haha:

As far as a possible answer, I believe the gun owner should be responsible. In other words, your kid gets a hold of your weapon(not properly locked up) and kills people, you as the owner of the weapon, are responsible. It is similar to being responsible for any underage drinking on the premises of the owner. I have read of instances of DWI by a minor who was drinking at someone's home. As a result of the drinking a car is crashed. People killed, etc. Is there a difference between a hand held weapon or a 5 ton weapon on wheels?