PDA

View Full Version : offsite mods

Arlo
01-30-13, 12:35 PM
SUBSIM has always been my source for SH4 mods (as well as WWII submarine discussions, SH4 mod reviews and ... well ... just generally hangin' out with other SHers). That's why I'll always come here, first, to vet anything I run across elsewhere. In this case:

http://www.subsowespac.org/silent-hunter-4-mods.shtml

Two mods interest me here.

1. Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod

The Guerrilla Submarines Spyron Mod provides fifteen American career start dates (Entry Points), beginning with December 1941. The next fourteen entry points follow at four-month intervals, e.g., March 1942, June 1942, September 1942, etc., but you can always use Kim Ronhof's Tbox (below) to change your patrol start date within the four month intervals. The Tbox tool is tied to a database of 150 Silent Hunter mission files that have been modified in full or partially. Thirty-seven of them have Type 5 objectives as the primary objective. In other words, when you change the game-assigned primary mission to one of these, or when the game assigns one to you, you will receive orders to deploy to a certain area and to search for and sink a specific tonnage amount (generally 10,000-tons) of enemy shipping. You are not tied to the specific area for a set time period (as in a Type 0 objective). The other missions are designated special operations (Spec Ops), such as photographic reconnaissance, lifeguard duty, personnel or supply insertion, or a special patrol assignment (Type 5 objective) as part of a task force or wolf pack (e.g., in the Battle of Midway, Battle of the Coral Sea, Battle of Truk, or Battle of Leyte Gulf). In the case of photo recons, lifeguard duty, and insertions, after you complete the primary Spec Op objective, you will receive orders within the game to deploy to a specific area where you will search for and sink enemy shipping (Type 5 objective) after the Spec Op objective has been completed successfully.

And ....

2. Kim Ronhof's Silent Hunter 4 Patrol Report Generator (version 5102) and Silent Hunter 4 Tools (Tbox)(version 2.0)

It allows you to edit the dynamic career save file to change the patrol area (mission-objective file) you are assigned by the game, your boat's name, your name and rank, and your patrol start date. For those of you who are familiar with Hawk's Patrol Zone Selector for SHCE, Tbox accomplishes the same goal.

...............................................i.. .............................................
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~||~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I figured I'd touch base with anyone here that may have heard of these and tried them out. I'm currently enjoying playing TMO 2.5 without anything else mixed in. But I might like to try these later.

Guthrie

Moonlight
01-30-13, 04:01 PM
I've just downloaded the Spyron Mod, I will give it a go tomorrow. Oh yeah and I appreciate the information about the mod too, I like how the modder has taken plenty of time to add that.:up:

aanker
01-30-13, 04:40 PM
Kim's report generator gives a complete read of your orders, ships sunk, lat & long and many other things at the end of your patrol from a save made prior to returning to base.

I uploaded it here with Kim's permission a few months ago.

The other mod is missions (distilled from the missions used in the "Pacific Thunder Campaign") based on real missions performed by US submarines in WW II. It was extensively researched and made to be as historically accurate as possible.

Until I saw your post I didn't know he remodeled the "cycles mod" into a stand alone mod. I had hoped he would do that for years. BZ to Ed Howard. Quality work indeed.

Happy Hunting!

AVGWarhawk
01-30-13, 08:25 PM
The Spyron mod is intriging. :up:

aanker
01-30-13, 08:52 PM
The Spyron mod is intriging. :up:
It is outstanding! Ed literally worked solid months & months researching and developing these missions.

I am still getting over the initial shock of finding out about it.

Happy Hunting!

AVGWarhawk
01-30-13, 09:11 PM
This mod works with just the stock game?

aanker
01-30-13, 09:40 PM
Yes, stock 1.5 only however you can see the very few files it uses outside anything related to the campaign.

in UPCCampaignData:
CareerStart.upc
CareerTrack.upc
Flotillas.upc
PatrolObjectives.cfg
-------------------

in UPCLocalization:
UPCLocalization.tsr

My game is heavily modded but I use this campaign... or one very close to this.

For example, with slight modification to TMO, TMO like game could work very well - if you want accurate speeds and ranges (submerged and surfaced), more aggressive DD's, interior modification, specifically Vickers, correct medals, all these things don't have anything to do with the Campaign.

AVGWarhawk
01-31-13, 09:55 AM
That was the angle I was working. It the mod would co-exist with TMO. :D

aanker
02-01-13, 12:39 PM
Just to clarify, load it after TMO - you may/will lose Ducimus' TENCH & NARWHAL but other than that it should run fine. That's how they used it in the "Pacific Thunder Campaign".

Of course the NARWHAL & TENCH could be easily edited in if one studies Flotillas.upc & CareerStart.upc and UPCLocalization.tsr and is very careful.

Happy Hunting!

AVGWarhawk
02-01-13, 01:34 PM
Thanks aanker!

fitzcarraldo
02-01-13, 02:33 PM
Just to clarify, load it after TMO - you may/will lose Ducimus' TENCH & NARWHAL but other than that it should run fine. That's how they used it in the "Pacific Thunder Campaign".

Of course the NARWHAL & TENCH could be easily edited in if one studies Flotillas.upc & CareerStart.upc and UPCLocalization.tsr and is very careful.

Happy Hunting!

And the RSRDC...?

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo :salute:

aanker
02-01-13, 04:37 PM
No RSRD. RSRD is a campaign in its own right. This mod is a campaign too.

You could have two, even three or more installs by using Multi-SH4 and then copy your entire clean un-modded install to a 2nd location as is outlined in the Multi-SH4 Readme.

Keep your RSRD and have another install with this campaign.

If anything ever goes wrong you have the 1st clean install to copy from again.

I didn't even bother using the JSGME. I like this campaign so much that I copied this campaign right over my modded install.

Happy Hunting!

fitzcarraldo
02-01-13, 05:42 PM
No RSRD. RSRD is a campaign in its own right. This mod is a campaign too.

You could have two, even three or more installs by using Multi-SH4 and then copy your entire clean un-modded install to a 2nd location as is outlined in the Multi-SH4 Readme.

Keep your RSRD and have another install with this campaign.

If anything ever goes wrong you have the 1st clean install to copy from again.

I didn't even bother using the JSGME. I like this campaign so much that I copied this campaign right over my modded install.

Happy Hunting!

Ok, TMO has his own campaign. I think itīs needed some editing in the campaign.cfg, to add the mis files. Possible, but a looong work, it seems.

Best regards.

AVGWarhawk
02-01-13, 05:45 PM
The Spyron file is one my computer does not recognize. 7-zip file?

EDIT: I have it sorted. Off I go!

aanker
02-01-13, 06:26 PM
Win RAR or 7zip (free) will work as you figured out :)

aanker
02-01-13, 06:30 PM
Ok, TMO has his own campaign. I think itīs needed some editing in the campaign.cfg, to add the mis files. Possible, but a looong work, it seems.

Best regards.

This uses the features of TMO and its various patches but has its own campaign plus the generic shipping from what it is put on top of.

Happy Hunting!

Bonden
02-06-14, 09:01 PM
I started the spyron mod with a new career with SH4-multi and it really a nice change. Made my insertion successfully and a few hours later found 3 seaplanes and 3 passenger liners moored in a cove. Sank them all - weather report said light fog, but it seemed pretty heavy to me - had to get close.

Anyway, I think it's a great change of pace...:yep:

jldjs
05-11-16, 04:50 PM
Saw this thread in April, and decided to get back into the game using this new campaign. Just what I was looking for, plenty of action (targets), new areas to patrol, very enjoyable. However, have run a few crashes in the late '43, and '44. I don't remember the mission specifics but more generally doing aviator rescue near Truk where an anchor appears north of this island, on Palau patrol continuing north to Guam area for aviator rescue, and then after attacking Palau port Araroara and attempting to leave. The error message appears and game closes to desktop. Anyone else experience these or other crashes?

aanker
05-11-16, 06:04 PM
No. Was it this mission?

ID#109 - Pearl SpecOPS 07 - Guard Palau Islands 01.mis

Sep, Oct, Nov, 1944

MissionBriefing:
Proceed to the vicinity of the Palau Islands and take position to provide lifeguard duty for friendly aviators conducting operations against enemy installations. Make arrangements to ensure arrival on station is no later than the 30th of September. Good luck!

Objective1= Lifeguard duty off Palau Islands.
Objective2= Sink 10,000-tons of enemy shipping.

jldjs
05-11-16, 07:48 PM
No, it was earlier, in late May. The mission was to Search and Destroy WNW of Palau. After getting 10000 tons the mission was to proceed to the rescue marker west of Guam and be there by 06:30 on June 13. Approaching the marker the game crashed. As I remember I didn't get to the marker before June 13, missed by some 12 - 18 hours to late.

aanker
05-11-16, 08:22 PM
No, it was earlier, in late May. The mission was to Search and Destroy WNW of Palau. After getting 10000 tons the mission was to proceed to the rescue marker west of Guam and be there by 06:30 on June 13. Approaching the marker the game crashed. As I remember I didn't get to the marker before June 13, missed by some 12 - 18 hours to late.
That should not have made the game crash, something else is wrong. Need a little more info....

Do you have the memory patch? Is your game installed in a folder other than Program Files (x86)?
What mods do you use?

Happy Hunting!

jldjs
05-12-16, 02:34 PM
Yes I have the LAA patch, and yes game is my Game folder .
These are the MODs I've been using ;

1_TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5=1
1_TMO_25_small_patch=2
1.5_Optical Targeting Correction 031312 for TMO 2.5=3
1.5_OTC for 8 to 5 Aspect Ratio_TMO=4
Bigger Better Protractors=5
Convoy Routes TMO 2.0=6
Map Colour Scheme 3=7
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1680x)=8
JayMyKey=9
TGT EASY AoB Dial=10
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_TMO2 =11
Pacific Sound Mod=12
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4=13
Guerrilla-Submarines-Spyron-Mod-v1=14

jldjs
05-12-16, 05:05 PM
Tried to finish the mission from Majuro, Aug 7, '44 to Truk. Completed the Truk part, then on to Palau for a S&D needing 10000 tons. Raided the harbor on East side of island, begins with A. I sink the carrier, surpass the 10000 tons, check the message to see the objective is complete, click the envelop to get new objective, and game crashes with error message. Any ideas? See any conflicts with the Mods?

fitzcarraldo
05-12-16, 05:47 PM
Spyron is for stock or RFB - stock campaign - or GFO. TMO has his campaign and I think it is not compatible with Spyron.

Regards.

aanker
05-12-16, 06:06 PM
Maybe "Convoy Routes TMO 2.0=6" is interfering.

The Spyron creator added traffic near the objectives and also some random traffic on historical shipping areas. Maybe the TMO convoy Route Layers don't like being overwritten. I could be wrong.

Could try process of elimination, one at a time until it doesn't crash.

aanker
05-12-16, 06:10 PM
Spyron is for stock or RFB - stock campaign - or GFO. TMO has his campaign and I think it is not compatible with Spyron.

Regards.

I recall others running TMO and Spyron successfully and I think there are a few using Spyron now.... that's why the added TMO shipping caught my eye as different.

jldjs
05-13-16, 05:11 AM
I'll remove the Convoy Routes for TMO and rerun as I have a save right before the crash.

aanker
05-14-16, 11:58 AM
I'll remove the Convoy Routes for TMO and rerun as I have a save right before the crash.
Did you find the culprit? It would be nice to know if Convoy Routes was it....

Happy Hunting!

jldjs
05-15-16, 02:38 PM
Not COnvoy Routes. I think that is just map display of convoy routes. I don't know much about the campaign files but if this mod says only meant for stock than it's probably a conflict when the two campaign folders are merged by JGSME. DOn't know how to resolve that if it!

aanker
05-15-16, 09:14 PM
I know there are players who run TMO and Spyron.

Back when we ran the Pacific Thunder Campaign there were a lot of players who did. Almost all of TMO's additional Maru's were added to our patrol report tool by our computer meister Kim Ronhof.

I've read mod lists of people here who run Spyron & TMO 2.5 as recently as a couple months ago, so it should work. I'm pretty sure there is a different conflict but I don't use any of the mods on your list.

Aside from the Campaign and some files in Terrain, the only files changed are CareerStart.upc, Flotillas.upc, PatrolObjectives.cfg, & UPCLocalization.tsr. Strange.

jldjs
05-16-16, 05:35 AM
If I don't complete the patrol objective by selecting the envelope to get a new mission objective I don't crash!

aanker
05-16-16, 10:51 AM
Okay, I think I got it.

Let's say you are stationed at Dutch Harbor and you get a mission to drop off some commando's in the Rat Islands at Kiska Island. That's where the orange star is.

You drop off the commando's and you get a Mission Completed, the star turns grey, and you receive a message to go to an area in patrol area AI-2 - that's where a new orange star is.

You get there, hang around for 48 hours near the orange star, it turns grey, and you get a message to sink 10,00 tons of shipping.

You sink the required tonnage and are told Mission Completed. You're done. You can sink more shipping on your own until you're out of torpedoes but that's all there is. Return to base.

Don't ask for another mission or click the new mission envelope. The game could send you anywhere or crash because Spyron uses its own set of ID numbers for its patrol objectives.

I think this is what's happening..... ???

jldjs
05-16-16, 04:08 PM
Sort of, meaning this last crash, or avoiding it, is what happened. The two other previous crashes no. On one of those, I have rescued one aviator, noticed an (?) anchor placed North of Truk, about 50NM, and changed course to sail to it and game crashed before reaching it. On the other, I had completed the S&D, received a new mission to sale to west of Guam where the rescue symbol appeared but game crashed on the way and before reaching the symbol.
So, I like your analysis, but are you suggesting a solution?

aanker
05-16-16, 05:23 PM
I'm trying to narrow it down and this has me stumped.... almost out of tricks.

You seem to be doing everything right.

SH4.exe isn't set to Read Only, is it? If it was, LAA wouldn't have any effect.

What kid of FPS do you get? In another topic Fitzcarraldo mentioned a graphics program similar to LAA:
http://www.kegetys.fi/d3d-antilag-v1-01/

Here's a thread describing d3d-antilag-v1-01 and its use:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=173605
I'd read the whole topic and if you decide to use it follow the warnings.

As Badger Finn said, "Give it a go you never know!".

jldjs
05-16-16, 06:32 PM
"SH4.exe isn't set to Read Only, is it?" No, Read/Write
"What kind of FPS do you get?" Don't know, don"t know how to find out, never thought I needed to as game runs fine, only lags when I approach large convoys or TFs. I've read posts that this is common.
"I'd read the whole topic and if you decide to use it follow the warnings.
" Didn't understand it, don't know that I need it, so don't see need to use it.
If lag is perceptible, I'm not seeing it.
Have you seen this incidence of crashing when your run Spyron? Could I be the only one?
I'm curious about "because Spyron uses its own set of ID numbers for its patrol objectives." Where are these ID numbers?

aanker
05-16-16, 08:00 PM
In TMO 2.5 and in Stock v1.5 you can see your frame rate with, "Ctrl+F8 Show current frame rate". In-game it is listed in the Help file F1.

I run a heavily modded (by me) game with Improved Stock Environment(ISE) v2.0 plus ISE Realistic Colors and have no lag.

LAA took care of any lag I may have had with a large amount of activity around my boat.

The ID numbers are in PatrolObjectives.cfg found in Data\UPCData\UPCCampaign Data\ and they can be selected through the text file 'PatrolAreas.txt' that goes in the Saved Games folder along with the TBox tool offered on the Spyron site. I think it is called 'The combined files.zip'. With TBox you can select your missions cross referencing with an enclosed Excel spreadsheet that shows when the patrol area is available. It is easier for most people to just run the Spyron campaign and let the game select the missions.

jldjs
05-17-16, 10:24 AM
Perhaps I have not installed this MOD correctly. You say "'PatrolAreas.txt' that goes in the Saved Games folder along with the TBox tool offered on the Spyron site"
I only installed Guerilla-Submarine-Spyron-Mod-V1, that has the Data folder, not the Spyron-Maps-Codes_Patrols. I DL'd those but did not "install" them.
I didn't know what to do with those. Can you clarify for me?

CapnScurvy
05-17-16, 10:38 AM
"SH4.exe isn't set to Read Only, is it?" No, Read/Write.......

Yes, it usually is!

I can't speak for all possible downloads of it (like Steam giving you the basic game download using the 1.3 version of the game!?) but the DVD version has the parameter set to "Read-only".

Find your main game files and right click on the "sh4.exe" file:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/sh4exe1_zpsedc76cbd.jpg

Open the "Properties" tab.....under the "General" tab, find the "Attributes" section. Make sure the Read-only box is not check marked. If it is, un check it....hit the "Apply" key, saving your change.

Also, make sure the game is installed in something other than the "Program Files" or "Program Files (x86) folders. Programs placed in these folders will not be changeable unless you jump through the Windows Administrator Rights hoops.

This recent post (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=2404456&postcount=9) of mine may help.

jldjs
05-17-16, 01:28 PM
Thanks CapnScurvy, I see where my answer may be confusing. I answered AAnker's question as if he were asking me if my SH.exe was read only. And, after applying LAA I changed the property to not Read only, which on my Mac is a property of Read/Write.

aanker
05-17-16, 04:21 PM
Perhaps I have not installed this MOD correctly. You say "'PatrolAreas.txt' that goes in the Saved Games folder along with the TBox tool offered on the Spyron site"
I only installed Guerilla-Submarine-Spyron-Mod-V1, that has the Data folder, not the Spyron-Maps-Codes_Patrols. I DL'd those but did not "install" them.
I didn't know what to do with those. Can you clarify for me?
No problem, those files are not needed. Spyron runs its campaign automatically just like TMO or Stock. The files are only included in case a player wants to select a specific mission or use the report tool.

So you made sure that sh4.exe was not Read Only before you applied the LAA.

I do know of someone else who ran SH4 on a Mac in some kind of a Windows shell. You must have a lot of memory then..... I don't know anything about Mac's or how that works.

It would be interesting to know what kind of FPS you have in SH4 generally and near a convoy using that Ctrl + F8 command.

jldjs
05-17-16, 06:37 PM
Pretty sure that Sh4.exe is LAA. I first encountered the need for more than 2gb when using OTC with 1900 screen res. I applied the 4gb patch to Sh4.exe, ran the game and it fixed the problem. Likewise, it solved the majority of game crashes I was having.
My MacPro has 16 gb of memory. I run Sh4 as a Wineskin app. I've had to modify the key commands to fit my MacPro, but don't have a key combination for cntr-F8, so I don't know how to get the FPS, yet.
Btw, I continue to play the Spyron campaign, have moved to Saipan for my base and concluded two more missions so far without crashing up thru Sept '44.

CapnScurvy
05-17-16, 07:27 PM
Yes, I think I misread your answer.

In the "Advanced" menu of the LAA app, you can check if LAA is properly installed by finding your correct path to "sh4.exe", and finding under the LAA column a "True" statement:

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w132/crawlee/LAA1_zps1046534b.jpg

=======================

Typically keyboard commands can be found in the Data/Cfg/Commands.cfg file, however there's no entry for FPS there. I assume its hard coded.

jldjs
05-24-16, 09:22 PM
Just had another crash. Oct 24, 10:30 AM game time near San Bernardino straight as it turns into Philippine Sea. Could something be missing like a ship, plane, etc. I can't run ME to look into the campaign. I was expecting the TF to come through. Any thoughts?

aanker
05-25-16, 11:39 AM
He mined ports, sub nets, made historic naval battles, and proper port defenses so a player can't just waltz into a harbor and sink three CV's like Stock.

There is probably something big happening near your location. Try going 15 nm SW of Sofu Gan sometime. The air and sea defenses protecting all the capital ships assembled there is something. The Japs used that area to assemble Task Forces.

You're playing in a Windows shell on a Mac. I needed LAA on a Win system with plenty of memory to use this mod without lag and my frame rates still went down near hot areas. Maybe that's what is happening. Quite a few people play this mod on top of TMO 2.5 - plus environmental mods too without crashing.

He only guarantees this will run on Stock. I've learned that it will run on other modded installs because I've read the patrol reports and seen their mod lists.

I wish I could be of more help.

jldjs
05-25-16, 12:51 PM
"There is probably something big happening near your location."
Yup, if he created the Jap fleet coming thru San Bernardino on Oct 24 then that would be something big. I know I have LAA for SH4.exe, but perhaps this "something" is too big for Wine. You are right in that Wineskins are a Windows shell and it enables up to 4GB memory if the ".exe" is LAA enabled. I'll try and run the same thing on Bootcamp, which enables Win 7. I used to run SHIV that way but found that the game ran faster using Wineskin.

" Try going 15 nm SW of Sofu Gan sometime." I've done that and sank 3 CVs to get my tonnage total up.

aanker
05-26-16, 11:43 AM
"There is probably something big happening near your location."
Yup, if he created the Jap fleet coming thru San Bernardino on Oct 24 then that would be something big........

" Try going 15 nm SW of Sofu Gan sometime." I've done that and sank 3 CVs to get my tonnage total up.
He did create that action, I didn't want to give it away : )

Re the 15 nm SW area, I just had to sink the oil tanker too. It was a bear getting in and out of there, I went for the center and also timed & charted all the aircraft and escorts patrolling. He made it fun. My map was a mess, lol

jldjs
10-24-16, 02:27 PM
I've continued to play The Spyron campaign since your last post with no incidents, except for now. My current mission has me west of Truk, Feb 17 '44 during the air raid, and I assume I am to rescue downed pilots. I see stationary "objects" in the water on the map, but as I approach one of them I can not see what it is from binoculars, periscope or UBT. When i get within 1000 yards I CTD!!! This happens repeatedly. Wine's last run log simply reports an unhandled page fault, duh!
As with the CTD's I reported before (May of this year), I can continue you on after running a previous Save by not approaching these "objects" whatever they are. I thought you might suggest a method of identifying these objects so I could determine what might be missing in my MOD setup which is;
[MODS]
1_TMO_25_small_patch=2
Map Colour Scheme 3=6
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1680x)=7
JayMyKey=8 (my keyboard layout for my MacPro)
TGT EASY AoB Dial=9
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_TMO2 =10
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4=11
Guerrilla-Submarines-Spyron-Mod-v1=12
Ralles Sound Folder=13
Real Environment RSRDC_TMO by Kriller + Caustic=14
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC_OTC=15
TMO_Easier_AI for TMO2.5=16

Since you already replied that this Guerrila-Submarines-Spyron-Mod-v1
was only intended for Stock, I was hoping to determine what from Stock this mod needed that may not be in TMO2, assuming it is an "object", and
would appreciate your thoughts.
Just to add, this is a great mod and has added much pleasure to playing SH4 after I had stopped playing for quite some time. This "rare" CTD is just a nuisance.

aanker
10-24-16, 07:17 PM
I thought you might suggest a method of identifying these objects so I could determine what might be missing in my MOD setup which is;
[MODS]
1_TMO_25_small_patch=2
Map Colour Scheme 3=6
3000 Yard Bearing Tool (1680x)=7
JayMyKey=8 (my keyboard layout for my MacPro)
TGT EASY AoB Dial=9
Splash_effect_DC_bombs_bullets_shells_1.0_for_TMO2 =10
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbance_v2_0_SH4=11
Guerrilla-Submarines-Spyron-Mod-v1=12
Ralles Sound Folder=13
Real Environment RSRDC_TMO by Kriller + Caustic=14
Improved Ship Physics 2.6_TMO_RSRDC_OTC=15
TMO_Easier_AI for TMO2.5=16

Since you already replied that this Guerrila-Submarines-Spyron-Mod-v1
was only intended for Stock, I was hoping to determine what from Stock this mod needed that may not be in TMO2, assuming it is an "object", and would appreciate your thoughts.
Just to add, this is a great mod and has added much pleasure to playing SH4 after I had stopped playing for quite some time. This "rare" CTD is just a nuisance.
They could be (most likely are) Downed Pilots (Survivor's). I can't find any differences between the two mods (Spyron & TMO) that would cause a CTD in the *.mis files.

The Type# of these Survivor's is the same in both mods; Spyron & TMO.

The aircraft have the same Type#'s in both mods.

I believe this is the mission you are performing:
Guard Caroline Islands 01:
------------------
MissionBriefing=
"To ensure air and naval superiority for the upcoming invasion of Eniwetok Admiral Raymond Spruance has ordered an attack on the Japanese naval and air base at Truk in the Caroline Islands. Code-named Operation Hailstone, the massive naval air and surface attack will be launched on February 17-18, 1944 by a task force featuring five fleet carriers and four light carriers embarking more than 500 planes. Your orders are to deploy to the designated location and prepare your crew to rescue friendly aviators downed while conducting offensive operations against enemy installations in Truk Lagoon. Ensure you are on station by no later than 0630 hours February 17th. Good luck!"

------------------
Guard Caroline Islands 01_Objective1=Lifeguard duty off Truk Atoll.
Guard Caroline Islands 01_Objective2=Sink 10,000 tons of enemy shipping.
Guard Caroline Islands 01_Message1=SEARCH FOR AND DESTROY ENEMY SHIPPING IN PATROL AREA CAROLINE ISLANDS X
------------------Dauntless#1 Class=USDiveBomber
Type=302 <-- Same Type# as TMO

Wildcat#1 Class=USFighter
Type=300 <-- Same Type# as TMO
- - - - -
Class=Survivor
Type=106 <-- Same Type# as TMO

GameEntryDate=19440217
GameEntryTime=630
-
GameExitDate=19440219
GameExitTime=0
The game CTD's if you approach the 'objects' within half a mile surfaced and submerged? (I've read you can pick up survivors on passive sonar to help make a submerged approach, then surface to pick them up, although I've never needed to).

Have you performed any other Lifeguard type missions without CTD's?

I'm sorry this is happening, I'm happy you like the campaign, it's the only way I play SH4 and has been since 2010 or so. Very enjoyable - especially when there are no CTD's though, right? : )

I wish I knew what was causing this. Hopefully the Objective 2 message opens shortly after midnight on the 18th so you can partially complete the mission.

You probably have external view turned off so you are unable to verify that they are downed pilots..... What alerts you that these 'objects' are there? Lookouts, Radar?

Keep me/us posted please.

jldjs
10-25-16, 10:57 AM
Yes that is the mission. I was wrong thinking it was an object missing problem, rather the CTDs happened when I approached within roughly 50nm of the anchor symbol north of Truk. I assumed that anchor is the US carriers launching the air raid on Truk. I've seen numerous aircraft formations west of Truk on this mission. I was successful in rescueing downed pilots outside of that circle, and went on to complete the mission and return to base.
Is there something at that anchor location that is not in my mods? When i zoom in on the map it displays a rectangle divided in two squares of slightly different colors or shades.

aanker
10-25-16, 01:24 PM
As the War progresses, numerous bases open up and the anchor and shallow water leads me to believe that some type of temporary Base was trying to spawn and didn't complete... is my guess.

Next Patrol it would be interesting to see if anything is there. I'll look at the mission and also in the traffic files etc and try to see if I can find what went wrong when I have some time.

Happy Hunting!

jldjs
10-25-16, 06:56 PM
On next mission I passed north of Truk on Apr 3 '44 and there is no anchor symbol there.

HGMB_SUB
10-26-16, 03:13 AM
Dear friends I had SH4 working with some Mods and made the mistake of uninstall. Now I installed and updated again for vesão 1.4, but this generates an entry point error to be initialized. I need help to solve this problem who can help me?

:salute:

aanker
10-26-16, 11:39 AM
On next mission I passed north of Truk on Apr 3 '44 and there is no anchor symbol there.
Thanks.

Yep, as you knew that was the US fleet. It is huge. It is always interesting to watch the US fleets and air raids as they move across the SH4 map in these types of missions.

In US_NavalBases.mis it is listed as:

Class=NavalBase
Name=Operation Hailstone, and is 'called' to spawn by the mission and probably didn't complete or else it is a memory issue.

SW of Lots Wife as an area the IJN used as a staging area. It is protected by aircraft, DD's, PC's, and is a memory drain too.

Anyway, probably more information than you wanted to know - lol

Happy Hunting!

jldjs
10-26-16, 01:47 PM
memory!! I'm sure I have the 4GB patch going or I couldn't use the 3000 yds bearing tool. COuld it be that TMO mod adds just enough memory to stock so when a large memory object tries to spawn my system CTDs?
This also happens when I approach SW of Lots Wife and at San Bernardino St when the Center Fllet exits.

propbeanie
10-26-16, 02:56 PM
Now that I'm looking at what you've been encountering there jldjs, your situation does remind me somewhat of the "Runaway Spawning" we've tried to track down for Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate. We did quite a bit of "Searching" and research, and one of the common denominators in all of it has been a performance impact and then a crash. Sometimes, the user isn't even able to get their boat close to the "zone" where the spawning is actually taking place. What that does is it makes it very difficult to troubleshoot the cause of the issue- IF that's what you have...

Be sure and double-check your LMA program, and make sure that it shows SH4.EXE "LMA aware". The program that I have, I just run it again, and then look at the SH4 executable. On my other computer, I can right click on the file in Windows Explorer and then choose Properties and see it there... It could well be a bad "call" for something in the MIS.

aanker
10-26-16, 05:04 PM
memory!! I'm sure I have the 4GB patch going or I couldn't use the 3000 yds bearing tool. COuld it be that TMO mod adds just enough memory to stock so when a large memory object tries to spawn my system CTDs?
This also happens when I approach SW of Lots Wife and at San Bernardino St when the Center Fllet exits.
Yes, sounds like memory.

The 3,000 yard bearing tool made my computer act sluggish around heavy action & those areas you mentioned, even with the 4GB patch, so I use the 1,500 yard tool instead. It works alright.

Also have to take into consideration high detail graphics (I like) and environmental mods, I don't know what TMO uses. I use Improved_Stock_Environment_v2 (not v3) with ISE realistic colors, without any issues (as suggested by Fernando).

jldjs
10-26-16, 06:29 PM
Propbeanie thanks for your thoughts. As for checking if the Sh4.exe I'm using is LMA I'm running on a MacPro and the Explorer equivalent, Get Info, doesn't answer that, AFAIK. But, I believe it is since I copied it from Bootcamp where I used the 4GB Patch to make it LMA. I run Sh4.exe within a Wine wrapper as an installed app, but I can't get LAA or 4GB Patch to run in the wrapper to check it that way.

EDIT I was able to run 4GB patch (did it wrong at first) and it verified that SH4.exe is LMA.