PDA

View Full Version : A strange graphical error

larsonboram
01-30-13, 03:34 AM
First of all, I'm getting a strange graphics error for night time missions in 1.4, I am getting a strange glitch or error or what eva. "THE SKY IS BLUE!!!" I remind you that I am playing 1.4

OS. Windows 8 64 bit
CPU 3770k i7
GTX 660

I don't understand why it's doing this either.

fireftr18
01-30-13, 08:14 AM
If my experience with win8 is any indication, that could be your problem.:damn:

There are other possibilities:
It could be a corrupt save issue. If you repeatedly over-write the same save, it eventually gets corrupted and you see things like that. It's best to save in a new file each time. Most people use a master name, then just number each save. It's best to save while in port.
There are actually "rules" for saving a game in career mode while not in port. Try to save when:
On the surface
In clear weather
When there is nothing within sensor range

It could be a video card issue. sh4 is very graphic intense. Shared video ram will work, if you have enough ram to share. Best to have dedicated video ram. Until you can check, try turning down your settings.

Can you post your system specs. Maybe someone who knows more about computers will be able to help.

By the way, welcome to the boat. I think you'll like it here. You need to go on weather watch. Stay out on deck 24/7 and give hourly reports.

larsonboram
01-30-13, 02:16 PM
Shared video ram will work

how to change to get shared video memory?

Wolferz
01-30-13, 03:28 PM
Sounds like some missing DirectX 9.0c files to me, jason.

Did you install those when you installed the sim?

I have no experience with Win 8 so YMMV.

I don't mean to step on your toes here FF, but that GTX 660 is a beefy discrete component card. So there should be no shared RAM like you would find with an integrated chipset on a motheboard:yep:.

By the way, 24/7 weather watch?
Jason might be gunning for you after we submerge the boat.:rotfl2:

larsonboram
01-30-13, 04:12 PM
I have direct X 11

Pisces
01-30-13, 06:09 PM
DirectX is supposed to be downwards compatible with it's own previous versions. But the silly Microsoft people messed up, and for got to include some files belonging to 9.0c And have still not fixed it in later updates.
Get this one. It won't hurt.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34429

larsonboram
01-30-13, 06:09 PM
Okay I'm trying it

larsonboram
01-30-13, 06:10 PM
I get a error when I goto install windows direct x 9 from that link you gave me v.v

Wolferz
01-30-13, 07:05 PM
Is your copy of the sim on disc or is it from Steam?

If you have the disc, the 9.0c files are on it. Or do a search of the Microsoft website for Dx 9.0c

Apologies for misspelling your name, larson.:k_confused:

larsonboram
01-30-13, 08:50 PM
The DX9 didn't fix the issue

Armistead
01-30-13, 10:24 PM
You say the sky is blue at night, so I assume the stars and moon are out, etc...Does this also happen in campaign mode, other single missions?

Do the other colors appear to be night colors, is the water dark, horizon, etc..?

Are you running any mods, played with any files?

Has it always done this or just started happening?

If the game is working correctly otherwise, sounds like you may have some corrupt files. If you can, I would try and unistall game and try again and see what happens to assure none of the files are corrupted.

fireftr18
01-30-13, 10:59 PM
I don't mean to step on your toes here FF, but that GTX 660 is a beefy discrete component card. So there should be no shared RAM like you would find with an integrated chipset on a motheboard:yep:.

No toe stepping here. I'm still quick on my feet and was able to move my toes out the way. We're here to help so I'm sure any input is appreciated.:know:

By the way, 24/7 weather watch?
Jason might be gunning for you after we submerge the boat.:rotfl2:

We do need someone to tell let us know when we passed the thermal layer.
:lurk:

larsonboram
01-30-13, 11:02 PM
No mods running, Night time in the campaign I havne't run mods XD

Armistead
01-31-13, 10:09 AM
No mods running, Night time in the campaign I havne't run mods XD

Try this, at night, hit control-n, this will reset the weather, which refreshes the env. files and see if it does anything.

I don't know that I've ever heard of this issue, where the game is totally normal, but night sky is blue like during the day, but I've seen corrupt files change colors of the game.

Again, since you have no mods, etc., I would try reinstalling the game, if it continues after that, least we know the file structures aren't an issue.

larsonboram
02-01-13, 02:34 AM
Try this, at night, hit control-n, this will reset the weather, which refreshes the env. files and see if it does anything.

I don't know that I've ever heard of this issue, where the game is totally normal, but night sky is blue like during the day, but I've seen corrupt files change colors of the game.

Again, since you have no mods, etc., I would try reinstalling the game, if it continues after that, least we know the file structures aren't an issue.

Okay I'll try it out. will let you know the results

larsonboram
02-01-13, 03:26 AM
Same result but I did see a 4 Carrier Fleet op and sunk 1 carrier in a sugar boat :)

larsonboram
02-01-13, 03:50 AM
BTW I am downloading Silent Hunter 5 through Steam is 19.99 a good price? or did I just get ripped off?

Wolferz
02-01-13, 05:45 AM
BTW I am downloading Silent Hunter 5 through Steam is 19.99 a good price? or did I just get ripped off?

Sorry mate, you've been had by the Flim Flam men.

Silent Hunter Five was pulled right out of the box with the periscope in the arcade.:/\\!!
Things that make you go...
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Wolferz_2007/cid_1C3AA6F478F94037A7C035B1BF7CA0B0shewolfPC_zps3 d539aec.gif

larsonboram
02-01-13, 05:53 AM
You *******ing serious? Is it that bad of a game?

Gerald
02-01-13, 05:59 AM
You *******ing serious? Is it that bad of a game? Hello! I'm not a Moderator here,but one piece of advice to you is not to use Asterisk in your text,http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq.php?faq=vb_faq#faq_new_faq_item_language :yep:

ColonelSandersLite
02-01-13, 06:00 AM

Call me crazy, but I'd think that's the kind of question you ask before you shell out 20 bucks, not after.

larsonboram
02-01-13, 07:01 AM
Meh, Regardless of it, I thought it was cheap compaired to first release. 59.99 usd nah not willing to shell that crapload of money out there. I just wanna know if it was worth the 19 dollars

CapnScurvy
02-01-13, 11:54 AM

Not to "pop your bubble", BUT:

I looked for a CD version of the Gold Edition and found it on iNetvideo (http://www.inetvideo.com/catalog/product/view/id/53992/s/silent-hunter-iv-wolves-of-the-pacific-gold-edition-used-on-pc-at-inetvideo/) for under $9.00. Received it within 3 days of purchase. I see the price has dropped since I purchased.......down to under $8.00 now! :88)

Scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll find a CD version of SH5 for only $6.49!! The fact that SH5 is selling for less than the SH4 edition should tell you which version is more popular! :up:

Skip the downloaded version and go for a handheld disk. At the price of both CD games, it's at a fraction of what a downloaded version would be.....without the trouble of kissing their butt when you want to reinstall.

larsonboram
02-02-13, 05:28 AM
Updated:

Uninstalled, Reinstalled and updated to V 1.4 as i have no u boat missions update

Anyhow, after everything was installed, and updated I still am getting this strange "Blue sky" in the night time events I tried doing CTRL N to reset the weather, same problem, I even tried to use a HDMI Cable for my HD monitor same issue, DVI to HDMI had no noticable solutions.

In any case, I like silent hunter 5 and 4 and look forward to any new silent hunter games. though, I doupt there will be anything other than mods to come out now.

To sum things up,

Dispite my problems that I keep having with this graphical issue,

I notice that without mods (aka Vanilla) SH4 v1.4 seems pretty good. If there are any updates that anybody know's of to remove such a problem as my Issue. Please do not hesitate to pm me, or reply to this post, I will try to show you a picture of what I was talking about in my next post.

(Update of picture: It's a flickering sensation so I can't really get a photo of the picture...think of...1 second it's bright blue crayon style, then the next...normal coloring.)

Wolferz
02-02-13, 08:12 AM
Updates?
:k_rofl:
Those cost money to develop and deploy.

My advice would be skip SH V and get a hard copy of SH IV Gold.
That way you can get your UBoote fix and play some decent American Subs. Plus it includes the last patch work from Ubi and will set you up nicely for the super mods. Those mods "finish" fixing the sim.

I'm still puzzled about your blue night sky. Maybe it's Windows 8 not playing nice with your hardware and/or the graphics drivers.
Rumor has it that the next entry in the SH series will be a browser title.
Zynga Zynga!
Subville anyone?

larsonboram
02-02-13, 08:30 AM
I agree, I am starting to think it's Windows 8 Related. As for Uboat missions...I'll wait.

Wolferz
02-02-13, 08:34 AM
You ing serious? Is it that bad of a game?

I heard the graphics are nice. But we all know that graphics do not a good sim game make. It only covers half the war. No discernable targeting system either. But there were some who made a go of it. YMMV

Wolferz
02-02-13, 08:44 AM
I agree, I am starting to think it's Windows 8 Related. As for Uboat missions...I'll wait.

If I understand correctly, Winblows 8 is a tablet PC OS written for touch screens.
If anyone touches my HD screen, I'll keel haul them!

Touch screens! Danged new fangled junk. I'll wait for voice interface.:up:

Sailor Steve
02-02-13, 09:03 AM
I waited until the DRM was lifted and bought it from Amazon for about $5, figuring that at that price it wouldn't hurt even if it was terrible. It's not terrible. It still needs a lot of work, and some very talented modders are trying. It still remains to be seen how it will all turn out.

But I stand by a strict policy: Disc :yep: Steam :nope: .