PDA

View Full Version : Question about TDC

Harald_Lange
01-28-13, 07:01 AM
I've watched/read up on as many TDC tutorials as I can get hold of, and consider myself capable with the TDC, in the sense that I can always hit a target with an AOB of 90. This is because I do it parrot fashion as I don't fully understand all aspects of it. I'm hoping someone can clear it up for me :)

The bearing dial confuses me. The others are fine. I can set the speed, the AOB to 90, and then the bearing to 0, and then activate the TDC and wait for the ship. I'm just unsure, is the bearing setting something that you decide on yourself, as in, could i in theory set it to something like 20 degrees, (even though its out of the accuracy threshold of 10 either way.)

I'm sorry to sound daft here, I'm just struggling to grasp the concept!

Aras
01-28-13, 08:36 AM
Once you gathered your data, open the tube (Shortkey =Q),move your periscope's cross on the target (That should update your bearing setting automaticly),you may lock on target or try different spot like Engine Room,Fuel Tank,Ammo Storage (Warships) ,just wait till the gyro angle is between 355 - 005, then fire ! Lower your periscope to not to be detected and wait for torpedo impact.

There is pdf document, if you haven’t seen yet, check it out :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=1081

or http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=88961

And this pdf to find AoB when its not 90 port/starboard. How to Calculate the AoB :http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/down...o=file&id=3467

Singed
01-28-13, 09:22 AM
The bearing dial is the one I never touch if I'm setting up for a fast 90. My firing procedure is as follows, assuming I'm already ahead and set up 90 degrees off the target track, range ~ 1000m.

Scope / Uzo to 0 (or 180 for a stern shot).
Unlock controls.
Set AOB appropriately (90 port or starboard).
Set Speed
Lock controls.
Bearing and AOB will now update as you turn the scope.

Best results come from making sure the gyro angle is as close to 0 as possible but with everything updating automatically, you have a good bit of wiggle room for multiple targets.

Getting the fast 90 down pat was the biggest help I ever had in learning to target in less ideal situations where the geometry is not as much on our side. Getting better at that.

sublynx
01-28-13, 12:27 PM
I'm not quite sure what you are asking Harald Lange, but the bearing dial only indicates to the TDC where the ship currently is. You can theoretically shoot at any bearing - whatever you want that bearing to be.

However, most often it is best to do the conservative shot just like you have been doing - aiming for the torpedo to hit the ship at a 90 degree angle. If you do anything else there's three negative effects:

1. Any mistake in your estimations starts to have a bigger effect, maybe causing your torpedo not to hit at all
2. The torpedo might have to turn a lot after launching, which adds to the risk of missing the target
3. The torpedo might hit at a disadvantageous angle and the torpedo might not detonate at all

There are reasons to shoot with less than perfect solutions, for example:

1. You want to hit two or more ships simultaneously
2. You want to approach a convoy from a particular direction
3. You don't have time to wait for a perfect shot
4. You are shooting magnetic or acoustic torpedoes and want the torpedo to take a little more time under the keel of the target

I suggest you start practicing the less than perfect shots, maybe with external views on so that you can see if your torpedoes are hitting or not. Expect a lot of duds if you are using impact torpedoes :arrgh!:

Pisces
01-28-13, 03:04 PM
The TDC takes the bearing from either that bearing dial, or the Attack-,UZO, Observation Periscope bearing. If the TDC is switched to manual mode (a switch on the TDC page, and a button on the 3d-device) then it is slaved to the bearing dial. But as soon as you switch it back to auto mode, then it takes the uzo/periscope bearings as direction feeder. And updates automatically the AOB as you change the peri/uzo.

So, unless you know exactly where the target is/will be/should be, and your scopes are out of action, then you should ignore that bearing dial. 99 times out of 100 you point the bearing with the periscopes or UZO.

Andrewsdad
01-28-13, 07:53 PM
If you really want to get "into the weeds" on this topic, brew a cup of coffee and read this: http://hnsa.org/doc/attack/index.htm

Salute !!!
AD

Pisces
01-29-13, 02:52 PM
If you really want to get "into the weeds" on this topic, brew a cup of coffee and read this: http://hnsa.org/doc/attack/index.htm

Salute !!!
ADThe "topic" is slightly different from the link that you provided. A real American TDC userguide vs. an twisted approximation of a german TDC. Just keep in mind what matters in the game, and what is real.

Troublous_Haze
01-29-13, 03:04 PM
.. :) it's somewhat a relief I already past the manual targeting practising and now with a bit of symphathy I feel to those who still learning :ping:

It looks difficult only in begining untill you're starting to get the point..
Need some patience and excercises in naval academy and you'll see the results.

Good Luck :shucks:

Harald_Lange
01-29-13, 03:07 PM
Excellent replies, thanks everyone, definitely got it now!

:yeah::yeah::yeah: