PDA

View Full Version : Thank You

gb027
01-27-13, 11:13 PM
I just wish to thank all the people that work to make SH3 and its mods so enjoyable to many of us. My situation is.... I am 55, lost my job to a workplace injury, lots of time at home thinking negative thoughts, until my mate who also went through a tough time reminded me... "Go back to do what you enjoyed when you were younger". This is what I did. I back to WW2 modeling, WW2 computer games and reading. I had a good read on a book that I forgot I had ..Clay Blairs books on Hitlers U-Boat War. This gave me memory's of my very first PC game ..Silent Hunter 1. I then found and installed GWX Gold. Wow!. What a turnaround for my mental state. This game has, at this stage, gave me something that will stimulate my mind, challenge my concentration abilities and also my problem solving abilities. I feel good. So these are not "just" computer games, they can help people like me, and pull them out of a dark place and change their lives. Thank you to all the mod developers, you are doing the community a great service!!

Sailor Steve
01-27-13, 11:17 PM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

I can relate to your current predicament. I'm 62 myself, and can't do much physical work. You'll find quite a few of us in your age group or higher. We also like to consider ourselves a friendly, helpful community, so feel free to ask questions, contribute answer or drop by our General Topics section just to chat. We even have a thread stickied there just to talk about who we are.

sublynx
01-28-13, 12:02 AM
Welcome gb027 :salute: Happy hunting both on the job market and the SH3 seas :lurk:

HW3
01-28-13, 09:41 AM
Welcome aboard!:ahoy:

A few months shy of 62 myself.

:Kaleun_Salute:

Kpt. Lehmann
01-28-13, 10:25 AM
Welcome aboard, gb027.:arrgh!:

You old fart guys made me feel a little younger today!:O:

gb027, I'm glad you found something that helps hard days seem a little better.
I am 41 years old, but I can still relate to your situation in some ways. Following a back surgery a little over a year ago, I had to lay down my old profession. I honestly thought I would either die doing that job or retire from it. I had to take a job that pays much much less and it was a bitter pill to swallow.

Sometimes though, we just have to let our own 'grand designs' give way to situational reality and then choose to be happy anyway.

Like you, I was blessed with people who helped me see in the dark. Some of those people are right here in these forums. Over the course of my time with Subsim, I have made some life-long friends right here. If you choose to make these halls one of your hangouts... the same will happen with you.

Hang in there and SINK'em ALL!!! :shucks:

Grun Teufel
01-28-13, 10:40 AM
WOW!! An original SH gamer!?! I am humbled to be reading your posts. Welcome aboard and happy hunting!!!:Kaleun_Salute:

flag4
01-28-13, 11:04 AM
I just wish to thank all the people that work to make SH3 and its mods so enjoyable to many of us. My situation is.... I am 55, lost my job to a workplace injury, lots of time at home thinking negative thoughts, until my mate who also went through a tough time reminded me... "Go back to do what you enjoyed when you were younger". This is what I did. I back to WW2 modeling, WW2 computer games and reading. I had a good read on a book that I forgot I had ..Clay Blairs books on Hitlers U-Boat War. This gave me memory's of my very first PC game ..Silent Hunter 1. I then found and installed GWX Gold. Wow!. What a turnaround for my mental state. This game has, at this stage, gave me something that will stimulate my mind, challenge my concentration abilities and also my problem solving abilities. I feel good. So these are not "just" computer games, they can help people like me, and pull them out of a dark place and change their lives. Thank you to all the mod developers, you are doing the community a great service!!

What a lovely post to read.
i wish you the very best for the future gb027.
and welcome aboard:up:

Jimbuna
01-28-13, 04:44 PM
Welcome Aboard Matey http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

u crank
01-28-13, 05:32 PM
Hi gb027. Another old guy here saying welcome to SubSim.

Great first post. :salute:

sublynx
01-28-13, 05:45 PM
Similarities in hunting ships and jobs :ping::

1. You need good intelligence on both, otherwise you don't even get a chance to launch your torpedoes
2. Hunting alone is more difficult than in a wolfpack
3. It's easier to sink those pesky 2000 GRT merchants than that one juicy 12000 GRT tanker in the middle of the convoy
3. Succeeding in year 1944 / at age 60 is more difficult than in 1939 / at age 25
4. One must not get demoralized by duds / failed interviews
5. Technological advancement (be it robotics and automation or hedgehogs and airplanes) makes succeeding harder by the year
6. Finally, sinking a ship usually leads to horrendous depth charge bombardment by the enemy - just as getting that job usually leads to horrendous levels of stress :dead:

gb027
01-31-13, 03:42 AM
I do feel most welcome. I can never feel alone when I realize that there are heaps of people that all enjoy the same pleasures as me. I will be posting soon

Toughwater
01-31-13, 04:31 AM
Hello, Fellow submariners. I've just recently purchased SH5 and am trying to re-learn my way around which I can see a lot of re-learning. I dabbled in SH4 for a while when time in my work schedule would allow and would like to thank the folks who come here to post comments that do help the fly by night person such as myself. I am a 56vr. old in the merchant marines as a officer of the "black gang". Put a wrench in my hand and i know what to do. Put a compass, protractor, etc. in my hand that's where sites such as Subsim really help to learn. Again, Thank you to the community.

Sailor Steve
01-31-13, 11:11 AM
WELCOME ABOARD! :sunny:

I like your handle. :rock:

I see you've been a member for five years. It's about time you said something! :O:

Herr-Berbunch
01-31-13, 12:00 PM
Welcome aboard both of you :salute:

A great introduction and I'm glad you picked up on your old hobbies.

HW3
01-31-13, 12:06 PM
Welcome aboard Toughwater!

:salute:

Gerald
01-31-13, 12:06 PM
:salute:

Jimbuna
01-31-13, 01:42 PM
Welcome to the surface :sunny:

Canovaro
02-07-13, 03:46 PM