PDA

View Full Version : Watching Das Boot (RTL 7)

Pisces
01-23-13, 02:35 PM
Das Boot is on RTL 7 (Dutch channel) now with English voices.

Something doesn't feel right here.

Fubar2Niner
01-23-13, 02:40 PM
Yup the dubbed version is poo IMHO. Give me the original everytime.

Best regards.

Fubar2Niner

Pisces
01-23-13, 02:46 PM
Oh well, atleast I now know where Jimbuna got his "Sink them all" from. :up:

Sailor Steve
01-23-13, 04:10 PM
Actually that's a wartime phrase coined by American submariners during the war.
http://www.amazon.com/Sink-Em-All-Charles-Lockwood/dp/0553267310

Pisces
01-23-13, 04:24 PM
Oh ok. It could have been the english dubbed version of Thomsen saying "Fette Beute" when they left La Rochelle.

Cybermat47
01-23-13, 04:26 PM
It's funny that you should say that, as most of the voices in Das Boot are dubbed anyway, due to the noise emitted by the special camera they used in the interior sets.

Still, dubbing German voices to German mouthing looks a lot better. I remember one time, I put the disc in, and started were I had left off. I enjoyed several seconds of "It's a long way to Tipperary", when Frenssen said "Here's to the end of the war lads!" :doh:

In a British accent.

Herr-Berbunch
01-23-13, 05:35 PM
Always, always, take the subtitles over dubbing! I don't even know why they bother dubbing, aside from taking the piss out of kung-fu movies thirty years ago.

:hmmm:

Onkel Neal
01-23-13, 07:31 PM
Not meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!! :hmph:

I prefer the dubbing;
1. They did a good job of the dub.
2. Most of the voice tracks are dubbed anyway (where did I read that?)
3. I prefer to watch the film, not read it. :O:

I realize, there are purists who insist it's subs or nothing, to the pain! And I like the sound of the German voices and speech, but I would rather have the dubs.

Ja!
(So, there!) :/\\k:

Sailor Steve
01-23-13, 08:09 PM
Rather have the dubs? I was cured of that the day I watched the uncut version - dubbed, with the subtitles on too. The English dub butchers the actual dialogue.

Pisces
01-24-13, 01:14 PM
Well, I must admit, hearing the english dubbs I got a better idea of what went on in detail in comparison to the german voice script. But the overall immersion was lost.