PDA

View Full Version : British Grandmother sentenced to death

eddie
01-22-13, 01:53 PM
In Indonesia she was found guilty of smuggling cocaine in her suitcase worth $2.5 Million dollars.

Seems a bit over the top for smuggling I think!

http://news.msn.com/world/british-grandmother-sentenced-to-death-for-smuggling

Stealhead
01-22-13, 01:56 PM
In many nations actually the penalty for smuggling drugs is death two others that pop into mind right away are Thailand and China.Usually the sentencing of a
citizen of a first world country is more symbolic.In every case I am aware of the home nation had it reduced and sometimes they serve a few years and then get released back
home.This has happened to several Australians that got "death" in Indonesia for drugs seems as though they get appealed out in some way sooner or later if there is any inkling of doubt on guilt that is.

Moral of the story do not smuggle drugs into an Asian country do not travel with a person yo even suspect might try it.Be willing to pay off any "upstanding" law enforcement officer that
offers to take a payment in lieu of a charge.One Ausie guy whose friend had hidden pot in his belongings was supposed to pay a bribe but he did not in stead he spent 10 years in Indonesian
prisons he of course realized that his pride had hurt him and he could have walked free for a few thousand.

Better moral of the story don't go to Indonesia for vacation or holiday the police are very corrupt and you can not trust the legal system to prove your innocence.

Herr-Berbunch
01-22-13, 02:52 PM
I don't feel a thing for this woman. She knew what she was doing, she knew the risks, she got caught.

Just take a moment to think about all the lives that would've been in turmoil had she succeeded.

BossMark
01-22-13, 02:59 PM
I don't feel a thing for this woman. She knew what she was doing, she knew the risks, she got caught.

Just take a moment to think about all the lives that would've been in turmoil had she succeeded.
I couldn't agree with you more, no sympathy what so ever she deserves all she going to get and that's death.

AVGWarhawk
01-22-13, 03:15 PM
They toss out "grandmother" in the description to draw some kind of sympathy?

eddie
01-22-13, 03:26 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of Life in prison, instead of death. Don't believe she should get off either, but a firing squad is pretty harsh.

If she was busted in the UK, would they shoot her?

BossMark
01-22-13, 03:32 PM
No we are too soft with the likes of drug dealers\sellers, murderers, terrorists and other vermin that get away with it in the UK.

Harald_Lange
01-22-13, 03:38 PM
I'd prefer firing squad to some other methods, its tragic, but she can't expect much sympathy, Grandmother or not!

Jimbuna
01-22-13, 04:02 PM
Strange thing is the prosecution were asking for a fifteen year jail sentence :hmm2:

STEED
01-22-13, 05:42 PM
Probably the appeal will drag on for years..I got no time for drug mules/dealers/users.

Tribesman
01-22-13, 05:49 PM
Smuggling into Indonesia.
Is that a candidate for a Darwin award?

Armistead
01-22-13, 06:29 PM
They're been a number of younger girls caught smuggling drugs in places like China, but many reports state they're forced to do so. Most are put to death by firing squad regardless.

http://www.chinasmack.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/10-beautiful-chinese-women-executed-over-past-30-years-06-tao-jing.jpg

TarJak
01-22-13, 08:23 PM
No we are too soft with the likes of drug dealers\sellers, murderers, terrorists and other vermin that get away with it in the UK.

I agree, tobacco companies, bottleshops and pubs have been getting away with it for years.:O:

AVGWarhawk
01-22-13, 08:55 PM
Strange thing is the prosecution were asking for a fifteen year jail sentence :hmm2:

Great! She can run her Cartel from the lock up. :haha:

Armistead
01-22-13, 08:56 PM
A friend of mine, myself and several other people invested in buying a few percent of a granite company once in Brazil years ago. He put a chunk in it and often went to Brazil. He got arrested for something he didn't know about, they accused the company for being a front for running drugs and cleaning money. He paid a lawyer 30K to get out, simply a split between lawyer and probably the judge. I long sold what little I had in it, he stuck with it for several years, now is rich off it.

Stealhead
01-23-13, 01:05 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of Life in prison, instead of death. Don't believe she should get off either, but a firing squad is pretty harsh.

When you are in a nation that nations laws apply to you if you don't want to get shot by a firing squad it would be a good idea not to violate the law that has death by firing squad as a possible punishment.Also if the choice was life in a 3rd world prison in the tropics or death I'd choose death.

In all honesty I think that the people that say they where forced to smuggle drugs are full of it. Ever watch the show "Locked Up Abroad" after seeing that I do not have much pity for people that get caught.In some way they knew they where doing something not 100% legal and yet they still went with it.

kiwi_2005
01-23-13, 02:07 AM
Thats the law of their country, if you gonna bring drugs in and get caught as a drug mule you gonna go down...6 feet down. Even a pound of cannabis will get you 25yrs to a death sentence

Jimbuna
01-23-13, 03:13 AM
I have an open mind on the matter but the weakness here as I see it is the fact that during the passing of the sentence the judge stated he was going to show no mercy because she had shown no remorse so nothing of mitigation was taken into account.

I have a fundamental issue with those remarks...this trial has obviously been aired many times on UK tv and this woman has often been filmed in a distressed state and unable to look at her captors in the eye. Her lawyer also pleaded on her behalf that her children or child had been threatened unless she was compliant in carrying out her act.

Something doesn't quite add up here and whilst I have no sympathy for those who supply and sell drugs, I honestly think at the very least she will receive a prison sentence via presidential intervention.

eddie
01-23-13, 04:24 PM
I heard the old song"They call the wind Mariah" the other day, and using a line from that song along with the music, I came up with this, when thinking about the sentence she received-

Sharia, sharia, they call that law sharia!!!

Platapus
01-23-13, 08:23 PM
We are not talking about someone with a joint in the bottom of their purse.

She smuggled almost 5 kilograms (just over 10 pounds!) of Cocaine.

Plus the fact that when caught she tried to pass a story about being forced to smuggle, but then changed her mind.

I'm sorry it went down like this,
And someone had to lose,
It's the nature of the business,
It's the smuggler's blues.

Do not do the crime unless you are willing to pay the price. :yep:

Tribesman
01-24-13, 05:34 AM
I heard the old song"They call the wind Mariah" the other day, and using a line from that song along with the music, I came up with this, when thinking about the sentence she received-

Sharia, sharia, they call that law sharia!!!
Very good, apart from the fact that it is based on Pancasila not Sharia.
Maybe you could join with Jamaah Islamiyah and sing a song for making Sharia the law of Indonesia.

Tribesman
01-24-13, 05:38 AM
Do not do the crime unless you are willing to pay the price.
How much "price" did the property developer pay to get only a four year term?
It would appear that it was him employing the other two to transport the drugs.