PDA

View Full Version : Decks Awash Help Please

Baumann
01-17-13, 06:38 AM
Hello all!

Does anyone know which JSGME Mod includes functionality for decks awash? Don't really want to install a super mod as i'm playing a version on the laptop...
Any other recommendations for simple mods to up the realism would be welcome - what are peoples favourites? Which Mod for adding wartime music to the radio for instance

Regards,

Baumann

Dronston
01-17-13, 06:48 AM
Hi, you dont need a mod for decks awash. Using the shallow depth gauge click as close to 8 metres as you can but make sure it is still 7 metres. This way you will have decks awash and still have a watch crew on the bridge.

Red October1984
01-17-13, 07:13 AM
Hello all!

Does anyone know which JSGME Mod includes functionality for decks awash? Don't really want to install a super mod as i'm playing a version on the laptop...
Any other recommendations for simple mods to up the realism would be welcome - what are peoples favourites? Which Mod for adding wartime music to the radio for instance

Regards,

Baumann

There is a mod that does this. I tried it but it did not work. It doesn't help you in gameplay really. Decks Awash isn't too useful in the game. Other than low-in-the-water night surface attacks....there isnt much use for it.

RConch
01-17-13, 09:11 AM
There is a mod that does this. I tried it but it did not work. It doesn't help you in gameplay really. Decks Awash isn't too useful in the game. Other than low-in-the-water night surface attacks....there isnt much use for it.

Nothing is MORE useful in making night surface attacks or attempting to keep visual on a convoy you are stalking while you wait for dark.:)

Andrewsdad
01-17-13, 09:38 AM
Running decks awash will also shave a few seconds off your crash dive time. Useful when the sea is flat and airplanes possible !!!

AD

Dronston
01-17-13, 09:40 AM
Running decks awash will also shave a few seconds off your crash dive time. Useful when the sea is flat and airplanes possible !!!

AD

certainly, but it also reduces your surface cruising speed (and hence fuel consumption)

Baumann
01-17-13, 10:58 AM
Nothing is MORE useful in making night surface attacks or attempting to keep visual on a convoy you are stalking while you wait for dark.:)

I agree - decks awash is particularly useful for staying invisible.

So you can have decks awash on a clean version of SH3?! On my PC I use LSH3 (awesome!) and decks awash is great when you are closing to within range of a convoy at night... :arrgh!:

What are peoples favourite realism mods (as oppose to graphics orientated mods)?

Mittelwaechter
01-17-13, 01:29 PM
Assuming you don't have a snorkel...

Open your installation directory C:\...\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Submarine\ and select your U-Boot type - i.e. NSS_Uboat7b
You'll find a CFG file listed - open it with notepad.
Under "properties" change the snorkel depth setting to 7.9 meters
(SnorkelDepth=7.9;meters 12.5)

You may want to asign a key - we'll use the "B" key.
"B" is for the binos by default - but you can use your mousewheel instead to toggle the view.
Open your installation directory C:\...\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg
Open Commands_en.cfg with notepad

Scroll down to command 18 [cmd18]
and deactivate this line
Key0=0x42,,"B" with a leading semicolon
;Key0=0x42,,"B"
to free the key from its "binos" command

Now tell the programm to use the "B" key for your snorkel depth command

Scroll down to command 195 [cmd195]
and add the line
Key1=0x42,C,"B"

Save your changes.

Ingame hit the "B" key and your crew will bring her down to "Decks awash".

U1260
01-17-13, 05:51 PM
I use Wreford Brown's "Decks Awash & Fuel Economy" mod, you can get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?hq3o9o0gftq97

Using it on SH3 with no mega mods.

Andrewsdad
01-18-13, 08:59 AM
Now I have a question about this as well.

Does the sim actually recognize that your sillouhette is smaller? Are we just fooling ourselves into thinking that we are hunkered down a bit and hence more difficult to be spotted? Or does the sim just calculate how far you are from the target, take the lighting and wind (sea state) and calculate as if you were fully surfaced?

AD

troopie
01-18-13, 09:03 AM
Now I have a question about this as well.

Does the sim actually recognize that your sillouhette is smaller? Are we just fooling ourselves into thinking that we are hunkered down a bit and hence more difficult to be spotted? Or does the sim just calculate how far you are from the target, take the lighting and wind (sea state) and calculate as if you were fully surfaced?

AD

Read this thread, it's pretty enlightening:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=200718

:up:

Andrewsdad
01-18-13, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Troopie !!!

I use decks awash only in calm seas where air attack may occur. Anything to get my boat down quicker.
One of my pet peeves is that every aircraft my lookouts spot has already spotted me. In real life subs frequently saw aircraft before being spotted, but this is a topic for another thread. :salute:

AD

vanjast
01-19-13, 06:56 PM
One thing I found interesting in the U-Boat (Das Boot) book is that, in possible ASW situations - first hyrophone clearance, next scope clearance, then the 'surface' order would be ordered, and then Kaleun, alone, would go up the Conn. Once he determined it was clear, he would order surface ballast blown, resulting in the Boat completely 'surfacing'. Without surface ballast, I'd think the sub is actually in decks-awash situation and depth control still by hydroplanes.

From the book, there is a rigorous surfacing and diving procedure which is absent in the game - but you can emulate this, as mentioned with direct control.
:)

vanjast
01-19-13, 07:11 PM
Other point to consider with regard to 'turning over', is that the boat would be already trimmed, whether under water or on the surface.
I'm sure the crew were well aware of the boat turning over, specially under water.

sublynx
01-20-13, 12:57 AM
From the book, there is a rigorous surfacing and diving procedure which is absent in the game - but you can emulate this, as mentioned with direct control.
:)

Wow :D The things I learn from this forum even after playing SH3 for years...

I have been surfacing carelessly all the way and in consequence been really vulnerable against air attacks. From now on the right surfacing procedure for me is:

1. listening in the hydrophone and in command center - one can hear the engine sounds of a closeby airplane in SH3
2. periscope scan
3. decks awash with full speed for the quickest possible crash dive if necessary
4. surfacing all the way and slowing down to cruise speed

Thanks Vanjast :salute:

Gargamel
01-20-13, 07:31 PM
Also, not sure if this was mentioned, but the decks awash mod also changes the '2' speed setting to your most fuel effecient speed.

It allows me to make 8-10+ week patrols along the east coast of the US with no problems. Only reason I use the milk cows is because I dont want to head back across.

Baumann
01-23-13, 10:25 AM
Also, not sure if this was mentioned, but the decks awash mod also changes the '2' speed setting to your most fuel effecient speed.

It allows me to make 8-10+ week patrols along the east coast of the US with no problems. Only reason I use the milk cows is because I dont want to head back across.

That's handy to know - thanks.