PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the North Atlantic!

Singed
01-03-13, 03:40 PM
My welcome to the North Atlantic:

I played SH4 + RFB pretty hard core for a while, worked my way up to pretty high realism and always had a blast with the challenge level but then left off sims for a bit. I started feeling the itch again and tried to dig my old CD out but cannot find it, lucked out and found a combo on Steam, SH3 + 4 + U-boat Missions + 5.

I'd always wanted try SH3 and heard great things about GWX so off we go.

Ran the torpedo tutorial a few times to kind of get the hang of manual targeting again and remember how to set up some of the different approaches I used be able to do in my sleep then set up a 1940 campaign and head out to the Atlantic on a type VII.

Wow, 5 minutes in to the trip (compressed of course), warship sighted. Quoting my favorite captain I yelled AHLAAAAMH and got some water over the top of me ASAP. Surely he didn't see me!

Sonar contact: Warship approaching fast...

GRRRR, oh well, I can handle this. Get a lot of water over me, turn in to him to reduce my aspect, silent running, slow engines. The game of cat and mouse made me remember a lot of my old tricks, but he kept after me, then a couple of his buddies joined in the game. After a couple of game hours of PING PING PING BOOM BOOM BOOM I was finally able to break contact and a little later get topside to make repairs.

Evading 3 destroyers while continuously alt-tabbing to the manual and subsim.com (to find out how to use the hydrophone in SH3) was thrilling. My plan to terrorize the North Atlantic on my first night back in a sub sim resulted in some target practice and frustration for the Brits and one surprised but otherwise, despite my best efforts, unharmed merchant. Still a lot of rust to chip off before I'm combat ready.

I'm hooked again, big time.

A couple of questions if y'all don't mind, site searches and google haven't helped much with these.

- Has anyone ever modded in a stopwatch to the navigation screen (one that you can actually stop and start)? I saw a few people asking but could never find an answer, my guess is no because I cannot find a mod (which with this community means it probably cannot be done for code reasons), but it is so useful I'd hate to miss it if it exists.

- A periscope with TDC controls on the scope that is compatible with GWX? I dislike the notepad.

- Finally, I'm looking for either charts with the depth marked or color coded (so I don't turn my sub in to an underwater lawn dart on a crash dive, cough -again-) or is there a depth under keel command that I'm missing?

Thanks folks!

Sailor Steve
01-03-13, 03:45 PM
- Has anyone ever modded in a stopwatch to the navigation screen (one that you can actually stop and start)? I saw a few people asking but could never find an answer, my guess is no because I cannot find a mod (which with this community means it probably cannot be done for code reasons), but it is so useful I'd hate to miss it if it exists.
I don't think it's been done, or can be.

- A periscope with TDC controls on the scope that is compatible with GWX? I dislike the notepad.
I would recommend either OLC_GUI or MaGUI. I think they both do that. I don't use either one of them myself, because I like the notepad. On the other hand I absolutely stink at doing anything manually, so I use WE Assistance or I don't get anything done at all.

- Finally, I'm looking for either charts with the depth marked or color coded (so I don't turn my sub in to an underwater lawn dart on a crash dive, cough -again-) or is there a depth under keel command that I'm missing?
Charts? No, nothing like that. Depth under Keel? Ask the Navigator. It's one of his orders.

HundertzehnGustav
01-03-13, 04:15 PM
also on the F4 (F5?) screen with the map you have a pencil. attached to dat pencil is a color code that tells you how deep the water generally is (0-60/60-100/100-150/150+ metres?)

works in daylight.

Singed
01-03-13, 04:32 PM
also on the F4 (F5?) screen with the map you have a pencil. attached to dat pencil is a color code that tells you how deep the water generally is (0-60/60-100/100-150/150+ metres?)

works in daylight.

Oh holy *&@! duh. I feel like an idiot now, I saw that attached to dat dere pencil and completely failed to make the connection. Thanks and please forget I even asked, in fact forget you ever saw me, I was never here.