PDA

View Full Version : Got a question

Red October1984
01-01-13, 09:44 PM
Im bored and thought it would be nice to read through the Forum Rules and FAQ. The FAQ mentions the Reputation system but it doesn't seem to be activated/in use. Is there a reason for this? U-Boot HAHD Forums use a similar system.

:hmmm:

Cybermat47
01-01-13, 10:14 PM
Neal said in another thread that everyone hated it. :o

Red October1984
01-01-13, 10:19 PM
I wonder why that was... :hmmm:

Sailor Steve
01-01-13, 11:05 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but I thought it was a bad idea. Only certain people even bothered to rate threads, so one thread would get a very high rating (from on person) and another thread would get a bad rating from one person, and yet another very good thread would get no rating at all. It was entirely subjective very unfair and ultimately useless, as most of us ignored it.

On the other hand I'm not even a fan of the sticky system.

Oh, and the ratings are still there.

Red October1984
01-02-13, 12:08 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but I thought it was a bad idea. Only certain people even bothered to rate threads, so one thread would get a very high rating (from on person) and another thread would get a bad rating from one person, and yet another very good thread would get no rating at all. It was entirely subjective very unfair and ultimately useless, as most of us ignored it.

Oh, and the ratings are still there.

No. The thing I read was about User Reputation I do believe.

EDIT: I reread it. It is giving users reputation based on their posts. Here is the link to the page.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_reputation

Onkel Neal
01-02-13, 12:18 AM
Yeah, Steve, pay attention! :O: He's talking about the Reputation system.

You like something, you give a person positive reputation.

You dislike something, you give negative reputation.

As a user's reputation increases it shows. You can promote them to groups with more privileges or just leave it as it is.

As their reputation decreases, they will lose standing in the community. You can also use this to "promote" them to groups with fewer privileges.

So, it was like a currency system where each member had x amount of reputation they could award to other members. In part, it functioned like a popularity meter, cause naturally, if you said things people liked, and were a well-liked person, you would get more reputation. :) If you were a troll or a joik, you could lose rep, and even get a negative reputation. A lot of members were put off by the whole thing, I think because they felt it would have an adverse impact of the friendliness of the forum as a whole.

An Introduction to User Reputation https://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/reputation_intro
User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of your forum users that choose take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

User reputation can be a divisive element of your forum so great care should be taken before a decision is made to enable it.

Ha ha, no kidding!

Fish In The Water
01-02-13, 04:42 AM
A lot of members were put off by the whole thing, I think because they felt it would have an adverse impact of the friendliness of the forum as a whole.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content.

User reputation can be a divisive element of your forum so great care should be taken before a decision is made to enable it.Ha ha, no kidding!

My biggest concern is with the 'popularity' aspect of the whole idea. Take for example the case of a mod-related post which is fairly technical, and as such may seem a little dry to most members.

The post itself could be incredibly insightful, even detailing a long-sought breakthrough, and yet be largely ignored because it lacks 'street appeal.'

This being the case, I don't think it's a good idea to compare apples and oranges by throwing all types of posts into the same barrel. Especially if it makes someone who's worked hard in a niche area feel overlooked.

Just my two cents. :sunny:

Red October1984
01-02-13, 08:16 AM
Ah. Well. I see your reasoning behind this Neal.

Thanks for the answers guys! :salute:

Herr-Berbunch
01-02-13, 10:03 AM
We don't need it, I think those of high reputation don't need to advertise the fact. Just as spammers and trolls also need no introduction and should be avoided. :yep:

Sailor Steve
01-02-13, 11:15 AM
Yeah, Steve, pay attention! :O: He's talking about the Reputation system.
Wait, whut?

Okay, I don't remember that at all.

Herr-Berbunch
01-02-13, 11:18 AM
-1 for Steve. :03:

Onkel Neal
01-03-13, 08:49 AM
It's ok, -1 for Steve is like Bill Gates losing a dollar in the snack machine.:arrgh!:

Herr-Berbunch
01-03-13, 08:59 AM
It's ok, -1 for Steve is like Bill Gates losing a dollar in the snack machine.:arrgh!:

:har: That's true.

In that case I'm going to follow Steve around every thread in case he does just that.

Red October1984
01-03-13, 05:16 PM

In that case I'm going to follow Steve around every thread in case he does just that.

:stare: (Insert Cops theme song)

IT'S TIME FOR THE REPUTATION POLICE!

Fish In The Water
01-03-13, 07:54 PM

Hey come on now, Mr. Bill knows every dollar counts. That's why he's got a team of lawyers ready to sue the vending company. :D

Jimbuna
01-05-13, 04:29 PM

Well you usually do anyway http://imgcash4.imageshack.us/img144/3336/tonguecm5.gif