PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here read Commando Comics?

Cybermat47
12-31-12, 04:50 PM
I really like Commando Comics. One of my favourite ones is Dagger for a Nazi, which pretty much follows a Ju87 pilot from his training, to Poland, France, and then Libya. And the fact that the Bf109 that shot him as he was helping a British pilot get out of his plane was flown by the cheating Nazi scumbag he trained with.

TarJak
12-31-12, 06:18 PM
Not since I was 13.:)

Cybermat47
12-31-12, 06:23 PM
Not since I was 13. :)

I am 13 :D

u crank
12-31-12, 07:15 PM
I am 13 :D

Now that explains a lot. :O:

My grandson will be 13 in 4 days. :)

Hottentot
01-01-13, 01:17 AM
When you've read one, you've read them all. Let's see...

There are two heroes. One has blond and the other has black hair. Otherwise they both look the same.

The heroes are trained in every single piece of equipment of every single army of the world. Much like in Operation Flashpoint.

The heroes get into an impossible situation in one panel, which is then solved in the next panel by narrator starting the sentence with the word "somehow..."

The heroes are helped by allies who are all incompetent cowards. But seeing the heroes being heroes, the allies find courage and skill they never knew they had and in the end redeem themselves by saving one of the heroes.

There is an anal retentive officer, who serves as the comic relief and light antagonist for the heroes.

The villain is a "fanatical Nazi" and usually an SS-man.

The villain casually kills pretty much every nameless filler character he comes across, no matter if it makes sense or not.

There is a good German who hates Nazis and defects. He dies.

If he doesn't die, the heroes and him become friends after the war and the narrator says something incredibly corny like "there were good men on both sides of the war."

The Germans are capable of saying only few words, among the most popular sentences being "Nein, aargh!!"

Cybermat47
01-01-13, 01:37 AM
^^^^

Actually, the main characters are usually cowards whose courage is bolstered by the supporting characters. And there's only one story with a defection from a German in it, and the closest it's come to going "there were good men on both sides of the war' is 'war brings out the worst in everybody'.

And there's even one comic where the SS antagonist is described as 'fearlessly dodging the Russian machine guns to get to the wounded soldier'.

And there aren't Germans in all if them. One's set in Roman Britain, and another in the Russo-Afghan war!

TarJak
01-01-13, 02:01 AM
The Germans are capable of saying only few words, among the most popular sentences being "Nein, aargh!!"
Or "Gott im Himmel!" or "Die Englander!"

Hottentot
01-01-13, 02:23 AM
Or "Gott im Himmel!" or "Die Englander!"

Not to forget the ever so memorable...oh wait, I think you covered all of them already. Nevermind.

kiwi_2005
01-01-13, 04:24 AM
When i was a kid i use to read Commando comics and use to read Sgt Rock comics as well, a favorite.

Jimbuna
01-01-13, 08:46 AM
Remember them well and very collectible for some people even to this day.