PDA

View Full Version : Can Silent Hunter 3 Work on Windows 8?

Punkrokker
12-26-12, 05:49 PM
I absolutely love this game to the point that I dug it out of an old box when I got a new laptop for Christmas. However I cannot get it to work on Windows 8. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it if possible?

Kelly621
12-26-12, 07:20 PM
I installed it on my new laptop with Windows 8 about a week ago. I created a new folder under the C drive titled SH3 ( or whatever you want to name it) and installed it there. Don't install it in the default "programs files (x86)" directory. I applied the 1.4b us patch then the NO CD fix. I changed the properties of the SH3 execute file to "run as administrator" under the compatiblity tab and it is running fine with a ton of mods.

Kelly621

Punkrokker
12-26-12, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the help but I still got an error message saying that it can run on the release version of windows 95 or ex 2003 only with a huge error message in the information.

Jimbuna
12-27-12, 07:22 AM
If you have a separate drive...D for example, create the games folder there.

Lewis Wingerter
12-27-12, 07:41 AM
I have SH3 on two different computer using win 8 with different mods installed and the game work great. I had to use the XPv3 compatibility on both computer. I installed it on the C drive in it own dir(C:\Ubisoft\SilentHunterlll\sh3)

desertstriker
12-27-12, 01:01 PM
Right click on the SH3.EXE click properties. should get a popup with several tabs. click the compatibility one and use the recommended settings option.
ALSO which form of SH3 are you running is it the one that has the 1.4 patch already on it or the starforce one? what OS did you previously have the game running on.

But judging from what you have told me i can safly assume the following. "old box" you have the starforce one the original release which will only work on an 95 to XP machine and no amount of compatibility will fix.

think you can include some screenshots of your desktop with the error in it?that will help many of us help you.

Lewis Wingerter
12-27-12, 07:27 PM
Right click on the SH3.EXE click properties. should get a popup with several tabs. click the compatibility one and use the recommended settings option.
ALSO which form of SH3 are you running is it the one that has the 1.4 patch already on it or the starforce one? what OS did you previously have the game running on.

But judging from what you have told me i can safly assume the following. "old box" you have the starforce one the original release which will only work on an 95 to XP machine and no amount of compatibility will fix.

think you can include some screenshots of your desktop with the error in it?that will help many of us help you.

Hi desertstriker If I remember right isn't there a way to take that old starforce out :hmmm: I did find a thread (right above this thread) on using SH3 without using the DVD. It has the removal instruction to take out the starforce

HW3
12-27-12, 08:15 PM
Yes you can run the old Starforce one on Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8, I have and am.:yep:

Jimbuna
12-28-12, 08:40 AM
Starforce removal tool:

http://www.star-force.com/support/drivers/

Ancient Mariner
12-29-12, 05:47 AM
Kelly621's method worked a treat.
Works on mine:up:

Jimbuna
12-29-12, 07:53 AM
Nice one :cool:

Ancient Mariner
12-29-12, 05:26 PM
Word of warning though,Install clean SH3 then make sure you get the right patch1.4b,I d/l the us version and had issues with ctd when game loaded. This was remedied with emea 1.4b patch,then dvd fix.Now running GWX gold and a few old mods i used to use

Jimbuna
12-29-12, 05:29 PM
Well yes, there is a US and a European patch so ensure you get the one that is intended for your disc version.

Punkrokker
01-06-13, 07:13 PM
Here is a stupid question, for us not so technical people how do I take a screenshot?

Sailor Steve
01-06-13, 08:01 PM
Ctrl+F11. :sunny:

KvtKptPriess
06-25-13, 03:18 PM
Okay...sorry guys, gonna dredge this up from the deep. When I go to install in on my Windows 8 computer...even though I have created a new folder in the C:\Program...folder...when I start the install..it automatically jumps to the (x86) folder and creates it there. Has anyone else experienced this?

desertstriker
06-25-13, 03:21 PM
when you go through the install do you change the destination folder?

KvtKptPriess
06-25-13, 04:14 PM
Yes...

Pisces
06-26-13, 06:05 PM
Okay...sorry guys, gonna dredge this up from the deep. When I go to install in on my Windows 8 computer...even though I have created a new folder in the C:\Program...folder...when I start the install..it automatically jumps to the (x86) folder and creates it there. Has anyone else experienced this?The new folder should NOT be in C:\Program Files. But something like c:\games\SH3

StarLion45
06-27-13, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone long time no see . But it is good to be back again :)

He he , I love this discussion it's never change , you know , before we had vista , then win 7 and now win 8 . And all have the same trouble . :O:
But it is a good old game ? Good Luck everyone .

Sink them all:salute::arrgh!:

Red Heat
06-28-13, 05:51 AM
Welcome back StarLion45... :salute:

Jimbuna
06-28-13, 12:06 PM
Hello everyone long time no see . But it is good to be back again :)

He he , I love this discussion it's never change , you know , before we had vista , then win 7 and now win 8 . And all have the same trouble . :O:
But it is a good old game ? Good Luck everyone .

Sink them all:salute::arrgh!:

Welcome back to the surface :salute:

tj pdx
11-03-15, 04:25 PM
sorry again to dredge up this old thread, but i am not having any luck with the steps offered earlier. i started with the original install, found the compatibility mode didn't work. so then uninstalled everything, then re-installed putting it into its own c: drive folder. running in xp sv3 compatibility mode as administrator...and still getting the error message. any other ideas?

the error says "Protection System" across the top, then "this application can be launched with a released version of MS WIndows 95....etc."

Oh and I also went to the starforce website and downloaded the tool. it could not find any protected files.

help appreciated.

Aktungbby
11-03-15, 04:28 PM
tj pdx!:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
11-04-15, 08:05 AM
Welcome to SubSim tj pdx :sunny:

GT182
11-04-15, 09:39 PM
Welcome aboard KvtKptPriess and TJ. :salute:

8.1 can be fickle getting SH3 to install. Follow BlLITZKRIEG's direction to install it. It should work but might not. If you can find a newer dvd of SH3 without Starforce on in and the 1.4b patch included, grab it. It should make the installation easier. Amazon.com will have the newer SH3 DVDs for sale.

GT182
11-05-15, 02:57 PM
My package came to day with the latest version of SH3... patch 1.4 and no Starforce. I'll work on the install tonight. My thanks to Blackswan40.

Oh btw.... the Flotilla hatpins he sent are extra special too. :D

tj pdx
11-06-15, 12:46 PM
i am still not having any luck.

before i found this forum, i did try to just install with the disk and let windows 8.1 do all the regular stuff it likes to do, and got all the way to the error screen saying it needs an older OS, etc.

i uninstalled using windows, then went back and followed the instructions i found on a thread here, but they weren't the complete ones from blitzkrieg, i didn't do the patch in the right place for example, and got the same error message.

so once i finally found the right instructions from you guys, i tried to get all the previous install attempts cleaned up, but don't think i was successful. there was no automated uninstall icon, and SH3 was not listed in the windows tree for programs to uninstall. so deleted all the files in the C: folder where i had put the game, but am sure there are some other registry artifacts, etc. still floating around out there.

so now even when i use the official blietzkrieg install steps, i have no luck. still get the "need windows 98, xp..." message. tried twice.

so i realize i kind of dug my own hole here, but any suggestions on how to clean up all the botched install attempts so i can start from scratch?

--tj

tj pdx
11-06-15, 10:34 PM
forgot to put that in my post above.

i did run remover tool a few times and it never found starforce. do i need to do anything to point it to the right directory or does it just find it on its own wherever starforce resides?

tj pdx
11-06-15, 11:41 PM
Couple of funny things. I have gone back numerous times to try and reinstall this and it always puts the files in the original destinatino that I created. Even when i make a whole new folder on a D drive and tell it to put everything there, it does back to the C folder I created the other night. Crazy.

So now when I run the 1.4b patch it claims success, then when I hit finish on the install I get an error box that says "1628: Failed to complete installation."

At this point I am more interested in finding out why this isn't working than actually playing the game!

Any advice appreciated.

--tj

tj pdx
11-09-15, 12:04 PM
anyone??

i've been down the path of RTFM on the blitzkrieg link 5 times and these 2 problems keep coming up.

1. always defaults to the original path for installing the files, even though i type in the new one
2. the "install failed" error at the end after i hit finish following the 1.4b patch

and i have rerun the starforce removal tool multiple times and it has not found the program on there.

--tj

GT182
11-09-15, 10:54 PM
You are not alone TJ. I had the same problem as you. I bought the newer SH3 dvd with no Starforce, 1.4 patch included with the no dvd exe. Still cannot get it installed on my 8.1.

Check here... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=222383&page=2 and read Post #25 by Avghunter. He has Windows 7 and got it to work. I haven't had a chance to try his method yet but will give it a go asap.

Sailor Steve
11-10-15, 09:55 AM
I had the same problem as you. I bought the newer SH3 dvd with no Starforce, 1.4 patch included with the no dvd exe. Still cannot get it installed on my 8.1.
With that version of SH3 you don't need the no-DVD thing. It already works.

I can only think there is some residual leftover from the previous install, as I put it on 8.1 with no problem at all.

GT182
11-10-15, 12:20 PM
With that version of SH3 you don't need the no-DVD thing. It already works.

I can only think there is some residual leftover from the previous install, as I put it on 8.1 with no problem at all.

Yeah that I know Steve... no Dvd needed after the install.

If there are some residual files I can't find them anywhere. There is nothing in the Documents folder either. I will look more as it could be hidden somewhere.

Thanks Steve

Jimbuna
11-10-15, 03:52 PM
Yeah that I know Steve... no Dvd needed after the install.

If there are some residual files I can't find them anywhere. There is nothing in the Documents folder either. I will look more as it could be hidden somewhere.

Thanks Steve

You did clean out the registry files?

GT182
11-10-15, 05:22 PM
You did clean out the registry files?

Not sure where they'd be in 8.1's registry Jim, but I'll take a look.

Jimbuna
11-11-15, 07:26 AM
Not sure where they'd be in 8.1's registry Jim, but I'll take a look.

No need to....the software automatically scans your machines registry for the files and removes them.

Her is a link to a few programmes, I personally found Reg Vac to be the best:

http://regvac.en.softonic.com/

GT182
11-11-15, 04:48 PM
I did find a Detection tool on the Start Menus with the SH3 logo Jim. I deleted that and did the installation. Nothing was in the Registry.

And now..... It's finally installed and runs. Resolution is at 1920x1080. Let the games begin!
Now to get SH3 Commander and mods installed.

Posted the same in my thread. ;)

You know, it's hell being away from a simulation I knew like the back of my hand at one time. And now it's like I never installed, modded, or played it.

Lesson learned.... never ever walk away from a game or simulation you loved to play. You'll have a hell of a time relearning everything you once knew so well. ;)

GT182
11-11-15, 08:08 PM
Here's what I found on my fresh install of SH3 with 8.1.

Installed to the Games folder I made on C drive and no Silent_Hunter_3 folder is made. All the files go in with no folder. Just the SH3 files themselves.

I made a Silent_Hunter_3 folder and then cut and pasted all the files into it. No SH3.exe shows as it use to in XP. Just the SH3 logo with sh3 which is actually the exe. I made a shortcut of it and cut/pasted it on the desktop. SH3 runs fine. Now made as many copies as you want of the Silent_Hunter_3 folder, Then you can install JSGME and do your mods.

If you look in your Start Menu you will see the SH3 logo and Detection tool. That will also start SH3. But not if you change the Silent_Hunter_3 folder name to GWX, LSH31.5, NYGM, or even Vanilla.

This is as far as I've gotten with SH3. Hope this helps a bit more for everyone installing or reinstalling SH3 with the dvd that has the 1.4 patch and no dvd exe in it. If you don't have it get a copy from Amazon. The original 2005 copy isn't user friendly these days and isn't worth messing with..... unless you really want to.

I hope this helps some Oliver for those like me that get stumped on the install. ;) Anyone feel free to add to this if you want to.

vontuco
11-18-15, 02:24 PM
I absolutely love this game to the point that I dug it out of an old box when I got a new laptop for Christmas. However I cannot get it to work on Windows 8. Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it if possible?

Currently using Widows 8 and running smooth...

Aktungbby
11-18-15, 05:03 PM
vontuco!:Kaleun_Salute:

Jimbuna
11-19-15, 07:24 AM
Welcome :sunny:

Jimbuna
11-19-15, 08:23 AM
I did find a Detection tool on the Start Menus with the SH3 logo Jim. I deleted that and did the installation. Nothing was in the Registry.

And now..... It's finally installed and runs. Resolution is at 1920x1080. Let the games begin!
Now to get SH3 Commander and mods installed.

Posted the same in my thread. ;)

You know, it's hell being away from a simulation I knew like the back of my hand at one time. And now it's like I never installed, modded, or played it.

Lesson learned.... never ever walk away from a game or simulation you loved to play. You'll have a hell of a time relearning everything you once knew so well. ;)

SINK EM ALL!! http://i.imgur.com/7tuCarB.gif