PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Convoys

jreid666
12-21-12, 06:01 AM
Hi, Kaleuns,
I was watching something last night about the arctic convoys, and how the u-boot wolf packs used to wait for them between bear island and north Norway and i tried to remember if i had eve been sent to that area in sh3. As i recall i never have. So my question is has anyone ever been in that area and found convoys, and how are the convoys depicted in game, if indeed they are there?
I can't find a link unfortunately, as it was a very interesting programme. One thing i did not know from this was that those who served on the arctic convoys never got a campaign medal from the UK, They did get from Russia and are constantly recognised by the Russians, even throughout the cold war.

James

Succat
12-21-12, 06:46 AM
Very good idea, i should give that area a visit next time, there is much to read about the convoys between russia and england:

Russian Convoys, 1941-1945 (http://www.naval-history.net/WW2CampaignsRussianConvoys.htm)

Arctic convoys of World War II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arctic_convoys_of_World_War_II)

Dread Knot
12-21-12, 08:26 AM
As dramatic as the Arctic Convoys were, it's important to remember that 70% of the Allied aid sent to Russia either passed overland through Persia or was shipped into the Pacific port of Vladivostok and then sent by rail west. In addition an air supply delivery was set up between Alaska and Siberia. Slower routes but much safer. :03:

HW3
12-21-12, 09:06 AM
Yes there are arctic convoys in SH3 with GWX. I'm not sure about stock as I never played stock. To be assigned to that area, station yourself with the flottille in Bergen.

:salute:

sublynx
12-21-12, 09:25 AM
I have played a campaign from Bergen and decided to take a few patrols in the Arctic. It was very quiet, but there were some convoys now and then. I wrote detailed war diaries about the patrols in:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=151090

I can't pinpoint you to the right posts, but if you check my war diaries that I wrote while sailing in U-552 as commander Alfons Dietzmann, patrols 1 - 4 you'll get a picture of what it was like in the Arctic 1942 - 1943. The posts are written somewhere around may - june 2011.

There is one good thing about the Arctic convoys - minimal enemy air activity :D Beware of carrier borne aircraft though :arrgh!:

Jimbuna
12-21-12, 11:47 AM
One thing i did not know from this was that those who served on the arctic convoys never got a campaign medal from the UK, They did get from Russia and are constantly recognised by the Russians, even throughout the cold war.

James

My late father received his medal from the Russian Ambassador to the UK about twenty years ago (I still have it in my possession) and I believe the UK government announced a similar recognition only a week ago.

http://www.number10.gov.uk/news/arctic-convoy-bomber-command-veterans-honoured/

GWX has said convoys amply scripted in.

jreid666
12-21-12, 12:57 PM
Thank you for the replies. Forgot to mention that it is GWX that I play. I know that there were only about 50 convoys sent from UK, most set sail from Loch Ewe, west Scotland. I was just interested to see is anyone had been sent there or if it was a wasted journey for me lol. I will have a look for those patrol logs, thank you. As for the campaign medals, I didn't realise that the government only just announced that, only 60 years too late though. These were normal seafaring people, doing there bit to help an ally and win the war yet its taken this long to recognise their efforts. To me that is a disgrace. Anyway, rant over lol, thank you all for the information. Now to find them......

James

Ps, I know its a bit hypocritical, having a bit of a rant, then saying I'm goin to sink them when I find them, but to those who may have a pop, and I know there are some who will, its only a game lol

Randomizer
12-21-12, 01:47 PM
I believe aircraft sank more than did U-Boats on the Arctic runs in real life. Have swept up there in GWX a couple of times and found few independent merchant (actually non that I can recall) and well defended convoys. Now I avoid it.

A new book on the subject; Sacrifice for Stalin: The Cost and Value of the Arctic Convoys Reassessed by David Wragg challenges much of the received wisdom on the campaign. It also throws into sharp relief how the USSR obstructed and denigrated the Allied efforts to push the convoys through.

All in all, an interesting read.

Jimbuna
12-21-12, 02:42 PM
It was often the case that ships crews weren't allowed ashore...not that there was much to see.

Hitman
12-21-12, 03:43 PM
A new book on the subject; Sacrifice for Stalin: The Cost and Value of the Arctic Convoys Reassessed by David Wragg challenges much of the received wisdom on the campaign. It also throws into sharp relief how the USSR obstructed and denigrated the Allied efforts to push the convoys through.

Yes, as Dread Knot already said, the truth is that those convoys were a political issue :), they were visible in that the germans confronted them, whereas in other routes they didn't and went by unnoticed. And of course, failure to deliver them was a golden occasion for Stalin to yell that he could not progress or was even losing due to the evil capitalists not doing their part. :stare: