PDA

View Full Version : RAF minelaying locations

igorlikespike
12-11-12, 05:15 PM
Hello!

I'm kindly asking for help - does anyone have knowledge of where exactly did the RAF laid its extenssive minefields or a map perhaps? I am trying to incorporate this data in scr.file to add to realism (Like minefield barriers around UK), but want to know approx locations and not just making minefields as I see most likely. All info that I got so far is that RAF Bomber command did extensive "gardening" of Bay of Biscay, Gulfs of Kiel & Danzig/Gdansk and Heligoland Bight.
Any help is much appreciated!

Jimbuna
12-11-12, 06:36 PM
I have Admiralty charts of certain areas around the UK.

igorlikespike
12-13-12, 01:01 AM
Hello! I appreciate your offer, but do you perhaps have any Admiralty charts of British minefields in enemy waters? I am interested primarily in offensive laid minefields in German controlled waters - be they laid by RAF bombers or RN subs and destroyers.

I have Admiralty charts of certain areas around the UK.

Sailor Steve
12-13-12, 01:11 AM
GWX has the minefields properly located, which is why Jim has the charts. :sunny:

Jimbuna
12-13-12, 04:32 AM
Hello! I appreciate your offer, but do you perhaps have any Admiralty charts of British minefields in enemy waters? I am interested primarily in offensive laid minefields in German controlled waters - be they laid by RAF bombers or RN subs and destroyers.

No problem...I was under the impression the southern part of the English Channel considered enemy territory. You might want to check out the German archipelago Heligoland a little north of Wilhelmshaven.

Jimbuna
12-13-12, 04:33 AM
GWX has the minefields properly located, which is why Jim has the charts. :sunny:
Rgr that :03:

igorlikespike
12-14-12, 01:48 AM
Please, don' get my posts wrong, I did not mean to be in any way disrespectful to you GWX developers team. The fact that you Jimbuna, got those minefield charts and incorporated the data into the game, really put some emphasis on mine warfare at sea. As far as I remebmer, in vanilla SH3 all the mines and subnets were around ports, let alone around eastern UK coast, and those German port barriers were not even charted as you GWX team did. Now Kaleuns have to be careful when sailing near Hartlepool, Dover and Heligoland, whereas in vanilla game you never bothered about your approach to enemy coastal waters. (and yes I got to know the mine trap in Heligoland-Wilhelmshaven area, when searching the post about mines in SH3, i have yet to encounter one myself.)

The reason why I asked for help in basically I would like to make srcipted mission file in which I would use excellent rowi58's minelayer (hope he allows it), organise it into small groups and then set them on periodical minelaying missions around UK. I would also put British laid minefields in all German shipping lanes as was the case in real life. As I care about historical accuracy, I thought that the RAF and RN minelayer subs, had printed a map of specific areas where they laid their deadly eggs. (Yes, one can assume where they would be laid, I just want to be as historically accurate as possible.) After this I would test it in the game (other testers very welcome!) and put the file int downloads page. I really want to contribute sometnihg to this game, not just dowloading/reaping other peoples efforts for my pleasure at no cost to myself.

Jimbuna
12-14-12, 07:42 AM
This link may be of use:

http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Ops-Minelaying.htm

igorlikespike
12-15-12, 04:05 AM
This link may be of use:

http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Ops-Minelaying.htm

Thanks, I already found it, now I'm continuing to dig for maps.

Jimbuna
12-15-12, 04:13 AM
Have a look at museum archives in Germany and the UK.

igorlikespike
12-15-12, 08:20 AM
Will try.

Have a look at museum archives in Germany and the UK.

Sailor Steve
12-15-12, 10:47 AM
The reason why I asked for help in basically I would like to make srcipted mission file in which I would use excellent rowi58's minelayer (hope he allows it), organise it into small groups and then set them on periodical minelaying missions around UK.
Sorry I misunderstood. That's a pretty cool idea. :rock:

igorlikespike
12-16-12, 10:50 AM
Thanks!

Sorry I misunderstood. That's a pretty cool idea. :rock: