PDA

View Full Version : Course errors etc

ABBAFAN
12-10-12, 06:29 PM
Has anyone noticed sometimes when you give course commands the text that comes up in the orders dialogue has a slightly different course to that voiced by the watch officer?

Do any mods for this game feature improvements to astronomical elements such as moonset modelled correctly? Can an eclipse happen in this game I wonder. Doubt it but would be nice.

Pisces
12-11-12, 12:20 PM
There have been attempts made at making celestial navigation mods. However, due to the lack of propper sextant optical devices, accuracy in positions leaves alot to be desired. Lattitude measurements to the polestar to a degree, that's 'accurate' to 120 km.

A different attempt has been made by taking your current position out of a savegame file, convert it with a Pythonscript, and make a startup/scene script for Stellarium (Planetarium software) So you have time and position the same. All you do is take the sightings out of game (height of star/planet above horizon aka altitude). And numbercrunch them to lattitude/longitude data on paper or online method.

Just do a search for "Celestial navigation" in the SH3 and SH4 forum sections and you'll find enough.

As for the voice output and course commands. I think it's delayed by the duration of the sound files. It's probably hardcoded into the executable. The worse thing for me is that the helmsman doesn't maintain the order after he reached the ordered course. Eventually the course diverges away from ordered due to wave action or whatever.

ABBAFAN
12-12-12, 02:26 PM
Beat him.