PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in Belfast

eddie
12-08-12, 06:50 PM
I hope this settles down, and doesn't get out of hand. Still not clear to me why there is trouble starting over the British flag being flown over the Belfast City Hall. Who started this anyway? Just don't know much about whats happening because to me, this article is about as clear as mud!

http://news.msn.com/world/eight-police-injured-as-northern-ireland-flag-riots-spread-1

HundertzehnGustav
12-08-12, 06:58 PM
councilors want the british flag on 17 days only.

bunch of Kids and yopungsters are against it and start to stir sh**.

in 30 years, 3.6k dead in fights of
cath.nat's that want to become Irish versus Security (sposedly neutral?) and Protestants that want to stay UK

agree though. the article jumps back and forth in time, gives only a very broad and vague info of the general situation.

Bottom line: something happened. like so often in the past, but we aint got a clue what this event means, and if we had one, we aint gonna tell ya.

a teenager could have written more than this reporter.

Tchocky
12-08-12, 08:21 PM
I am Jacks total lack of surprise.

Tribesman
12-09-12, 06:47 AM
I am Jacks total lack of surprise.
You gotta admit its funny though.
The orangemen go on about wanting to be just like Britain and this motion puts them in line with the rest of Britain which clearly is what they want as thats what they say they want...and they object that they are being made just like Britain.

BossMark
12-09-12, 09:12 AM
Hasn't there always been trouble Belfast????

Jimbuna
12-09-12, 09:18 AM
The Nationalists who now hold a majority on Belfast City Council had wanted the union flag taken down altogether, but in the end voted on a compromise from the Alliance party that it would fly on designated days.

Unionists have said they consider the changes regarding the union flag to be an attack on their cultural identity.

So on and on it goes.

Oberon
12-09-12, 11:05 AM
Still, even at its worst at the moment it's still an improvement from the old days, surely?

Tribesman
12-09-12, 11:50 AM
The Nationalists who now hold a majority on Belfast City Council
Its not a majority, the council is NOC, republican/nationalists hold 24 of 51 seats.

Jimbuna
12-09-12, 02:00 PM
Well they must have support from another party to win the vote surely?

Tribesman
12-09-12, 04:14 PM
Well they must have support from another party to win the vote surely?
Well no, they didn't win their vote, they ended supporting another parties counter proposal.
The fenians wanted british flags gone, the orangemen wanted british flags every day all year long for ever and ever and ever, the alliance party said why not be like Britain and the fenians said OK we will back you on that.

Jimbuna
12-09-12, 04:21 PM
And that's politics for you.

Tribesman
12-09-12, 04:36 PM
And that's politics for you.
Though you do have to feel sorry for them, even though they are politicians.
The Alliance party just isn't used to the death threats and attacks on their homes and offices like the other parties are.

Jimbuna
12-09-12, 04:52 PM
I'd have tought things were much more quiet than they have been over the previous decades.

Tribesman
12-09-12, 05:44 PM
I'd have tought things were much more quiet than they have been over the previous decades.
Yes, but you have got to understand the squeeze. A combination of post peace investment with gentrification plus immigration together with redrawing of electoral wards has shifted areas of Belfast from pure hardcore King Billy neighbourhoods into more of a why can't we just get along and have a talk areas.
Its a bit hard for the losers in the politics game but they have been confused for a while and the alliance party really is something they just can't understand. After all is Anna Lo a protestant taoist or a catholic taoist?

HundertzehnGustav
12-09-12, 05:50 PM
they still cannot get along it seems to me.

One thing strikes me as odd...

Locally, there are differences.
Fists are flying and shots are fired. Bombs are placed and Police goes out "en masse"

At least the people openly kick each other in the nuts.

Across europe, there are differences.
The south is in trouble, the north helps, but spits venom.
The south responds with anger and bitterness.

But its the Politicians that deliver the messages and cut the deals...
...disregarding their voterbase.

...and i thought it could have been an improvement from previous centuries.

Europe united?
Bravo Sierra! We are still cutting each other's throats.
But in the 21st century, we have up-styled, and are using men in suits... insterad of rifles and Horsedrawn Cannons.

Tribesman
01-04-13, 04:57 PM
Story gets funnier this week
The Union Flag waving crowd are planning to export their protests.
They are going to Scotland, which also only flies that flag on the specified days and is due to vote soon on getting out of the Union.
They are coming to Ireland, which doesn't fly the flag at all unless maybe their is a international rugby game on.
It should be entertaining for the news cameras to film.