PDA

View Full Version : Kate Hospital Nurse Found Dead

Jimbuna
12-07-12, 11:25 AM
Here's one for the conspiracy theorists.

A nurse at a London hospital who took a hoax call about the Duchess of Cambridge has been found dead.
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said in a statement they were "deeply saddened" by the death of the nurse, named as Jacintha Saldanha.
King Edward VII hospital paid tribute to "a first class nurse" who was the "victim of a hoax call."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

AVGWarhawk
12-07-12, 11:40 AM
Come on Jim, this is not a coincidence. Something smells rotten in Denmark. I can smell it from here.

Herr-Berbunch
12-07-12, 11:48 AM
I hope the Aussie DJs are not still laughing now. :nope:

Armistead
12-07-12, 12:20 PM
Poor taste on the DJ's part, but people pull these stunts all the time. You would think the hospital would have protocol in these situations where all calls are sent to the higher ups.

If a person kills themselves over this, it's no ones fault but their own.

STEED
12-07-12, 12:22 PM
Rather odd. :hmm2:

Jimbuna
12-07-12, 12:26 PM
Simply wondering what a post mortem will reveal...heart attck possibly, brought on by the recent stress she must obviously have been suffering?

AVGWarhawk
12-07-12, 12:29 PM
Interesting indeed.

Herr-Berbunch
12-07-12, 12:58 PM
My guess is suicide rather than face a possibly very public disciplinary. Of course something natural would be preferred.

Hottentot
12-07-12, 01:12 PM
Something smells rotten in Denmark. I can smell it from here.

Must...resist...derailing...joke...not...worth...i t...nnngh...

Oberon
12-07-12, 01:17 PM
My guess is suicide rather than face a possibly very public disciplinary. Of course something natural would be preferred.

That coupled with a lot of phone calls and visits from the press I'd wager. Interesting that this happens so soon after Leveson...

Herr-Berbunch
12-07-12, 01:33 PM
Who is currently in Oz.

Tchocky
12-07-12, 01:37 PM
Must...resist...derailing...joke...not...worth...i t...nnngh...

Fight it! Fight it hard!

Cybermat47
12-07-12, 03:31 PM
Who is currently in Oz.

I am. What's the adress of these Dj's, I wanna give them trillions of prank calls.

eddie
12-07-12, 04:00 PM
News coming out of OZ says the DJ's are off the air because of this!

Oberon
12-07-12, 04:37 PM
I am.

Hello Mr Leveson, how's life after presenting the results of the enquiry?

(2Day FM is the radio, and Michael Christian and Mel Grieg are the presenters. They have been taken off air and deleted their twitter accounts, and I imagine the comedians and radio presenters that supported them are feeling a tad silly now: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/kate-middleton/9730544/Only-Britons-hated-hoax-call-Australian-media-says.html)

Herr-Berbunch
12-07-12, 04:47 PM
I am. What's the adress of these Dj's, I wanna give them trillions of prank calls.

It wasn't a question, lack of question mark. Leveson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leveson_Inquiry), who is in Oz.

Oberon
12-07-12, 04:53 PM
It wasn't a question, lack of question mark. Leveson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leveson_Inquiry), who is in Oz.

Who is to say that Cybermat47 isn't Leveson?

Jimbuna
12-07-12, 05:20 PM
Who is to say that Cybermat47 isn't Leveson?

No credibility here .....a life has been lost

BossMark
12-08-12, 05:25 AM
Death by royal appointment :hmmm:

STEED
12-08-12, 05:48 AM
I hardly think it was a Royal hit. These things happen as you don't know what went through her mind and why she came to such a decision.

Oberon
12-08-12, 06:49 AM
Yeah, if anything the Royal family had been supportive of her. There are multiple possibilities, and without knowing more about her and her background, as well as the events occurring after that fateful call all we can do is speculate.

the_tyrant
12-08-12, 09:04 AM
Holy crap, this already feels like hitman, where Mr 47 poisoned a witness and arranged certain things in a way to cause an accident later on.

Jimbuna
12-08-12, 11:09 AM
It is now being reported in the media as a suspected suicide.

Jimbuna
12-08-12, 11:55 AM
Extracts of the letter of complaint sent by the hospital to the owners of the radio station:

King Edward VII's Hospital cares for sick people, and it was extremely foolish of your presenters even to consider trying to lie their way through to one of our patients, let alone actually make the call.

Then to discover that, not only had this happened, but that the call had been pre-recorded and the decision to transmit approved by your station's management, was truly appalling.

The immediate consequence of these premeditated and ill-considered actions was the humiliation of two dedicated and caring nurses who were simply doing their job tending to their patients.

The longer term consequence has been reported around the world and is, frankly, tragic beyond words.

I appreciate that you cannot undo the damage which has been done but I would urge you to take steps to ensure that such an incident could never be repeated.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20650721

u crank
12-08-12, 12:06 PM
Extracts of the letter of complaint sent by the hospital to the owners of the radio station:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20650721

Good link Jim. I hope that similar programs will take note. And I hope the remorse and guilt will last for at least a little while.

AVGWarhawk
12-08-12, 12:10 PM
Absolute shame this has happened. I'm wordering if the nurses family has any recourse with the station that made the call and put on the airwaves for all to hear. Another form of bullying?

Jimbuna
12-08-12, 12:14 PM
Good link Jim. I hope that similar programs will take note. And I hope the remorse and guilt will last for at least a little while.

Thank you sir.

Absolute shame this has happened. I'm wordering if the nurses family has any recourse with the station that made the call and put on the airwaves for all to hear. Another form of bullying?

As far as I know, privacy law in Australia is only applicable to news programmes.

u crank
12-08-12, 12:16 PM
Another form of bullying?

Good point. All these programs in school and the media about bullying are of little value if the adults in the world do this kind of stuff. Sad part is this woman was doing something good for her community and didn't deserve a fate like that.:nope:

RedMenace
12-08-12, 02:33 PM
The thing about prank calls is that they make people look stupid, even though 90% of people would react the same exact way. (on the phone, not the killing yourself part)

Like the hospital letter said: if you're going to prank call somebody, prank call a pizza parlor or a news station or something. Why prank call somebody who spends every day of their life tending to sick and injured people?:-?

RedMenace
12-08-12, 02:48 PM
The thing about prank calls is that they make people look stupid, even though 90% of people would react the same exact way. (on the phone, not the killing yourself part)

Like the hospital letter said: if you're going to prank call somebody, prank call a pizza parlor or a news station or something. Why prank call somebody who spends every day of their life tending to sick and injured people?:-?

Actually I just listened to the prank call and it was pretty damn funny.:hmm2:

Crazy that somebody would kill themselves over that.

Cybermat47
12-08-12, 05:26 PM
Actually I just listened to the prank call and it was pretty damn funny.:hmm2:

Crazy that somebody would kill themselves over that.

When I listened to an extract of it, I felt sick :nope:

RedMenace
12-08-12, 06:27 PM
But, why? They don't insult or humiliate anyone. The woman who killed herself literally has 2 or 3 words in before she hands the phone off to someone else.

Sure it's a little embarrassing, but nothing to kill yourself over.:down:

Cybermat47
12-08-12, 07:20 PM
But, why? They don't insult or humiliate anyone. The woman who killed herself literally has 2 or 3 words in before she hands the phone off to someone else.

Sure it's a little embarrassing, but nothing to kill yourself over.:down:

Ah, but they did humiliate her. The 2 DJ's said that they thought their accents were so bad that they would be hung up on, so that makes the poor woman look stupid, and for all we know, she could've just gone through a bad experience, like a messy break-up, and this was the last straw.

RedMenace
12-09-12, 12:01 AM
Ah, but they did humiliate her. The 2 DJ's said that they thought their accents were so bad that they would be hung up on, so that makes the poor woman look stupid, and for all we know, she could've just gone through a bad experience, like a messy break-up, and this was the last straw.

But I mean, joke in bad taste or not, it's her duty as a nurse to verify that it's really the queen of freakin' England before you hand over the phone. It's part your job, prank call or not.

She messed up, like almost anybody would in that situation, but it's still not the DJs fault she felt like killing herself over it.

AFAIK neither the English Palace nor the hospital she was working at was punishing her for the incident, her job wasn't at stake.

It's still extremely tragic, but, I don't think you can point fingers at anyone.

Cybermat47
12-09-12, 12:07 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's not the DJs' fault? What sort of person prank calls a hospital!?

RedMenace
12-09-12, 12:15 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It's not the DJs' fault? What sort of person prank calls a hospital!?

Lots of people might. Especially with a royal family member in bed.

If this was WWII you'd probably have Axis spies phoning in.

Armistead
12-09-12, 01:39 AM
But I mean, joke in bad taste or not, it's her duty as a nurse to verify that it's really the queen of freakin' England before you hand over the phone. It's part your job, prank call or not.

She messed up, like almost anybody would in that situation, but it's still not the DJs fault she felt like killing herself over it.

AFAIK neither the English Palace nor the hospital she was working at was punishing her for the incident, her job wasn't at stake.

It's still extremely tragic, but, I don't think you can point fingers at anyone.

From what I heard today, the hospital was very supportive of her.

SteveW1
12-09-12, 04:49 AM
While I don't condone the farce of prank calling a hospital, people still have to remember that the lawyers for the radio station actually ok'd the prank. While the DJ's have taken a lot of the stick I would like to see the lawyers and the actual radio station hauled over the grill for their part in this.:nope:

d@rk51d3
12-09-12, 05:36 AM
............. and for all we know, she could've just gone through a bad experience, like a messy break-up, and this was the last straw.

Exactly. It takes more than a prank call to bring about an outcome like this, as sad as it is.

I'm guessing there is a much bigger picture that probably covers a few years, and this was likely the "straw that broke the camels back."

Jimbuna
12-09-12, 08:52 AM
Both the DJ's are undergoing counselling sessions.

Hottentot
12-09-12, 09:07 AM
Doing a quick search with Google, I could find lots of articles saying the same thing: that she is dead. But not one saying what the cause of death was.

The body is barely cold yet and it's already a suicide.

Jimbuna
12-09-12, 09:29 AM
I should imagine that won't be known until the coroner gives permission for the release of said information.

They could also be trying to contact next of kin if she was born abroad.

u crank
12-09-12, 09:43 AM
Exactly. It takes more than a prank call to bring about an outcome like this, as sad as it is.

I'm guessing there is a much bigger picture that probably covers a few years, and this was likely the "straw that broke the camels back."

This is probably true, but I would say that there are places where prank calls are off limits. Try placing a prank call to 911 and see what happens. A hospital is a serious place where sometimes life hangs in the balance. Go to your local emergency department waiting room and look at the worried faces of family members and friends. That is no place for a joke no matter how harmless it's intention may be.

Hottentot
12-09-12, 10:00 AM
I should imagine that won't be known until the coroner gives permission for the release of said information.

Exactly. What I find especially interesting here is how the media is again creating reality where we can then fill the gaps with our imagination. Say this happened to be just any nurse? No newslet would have noticed it. But it happened to be just this specific nurse: the media just needs to say the word and people are all over it.

Sure, it could be a suicide. It might even be very probable that it's a suicide. Saying it is a suicide is wrong however. It might just as well be a coincidence. All we really know is that the police is not suspecting a crime. There are many reasons why a person could die, but none of them are as exciting as the suicide.

I just wish some people would calm down a little and go watch a movie or something.