PDA

View Full Version : Help for my medical exam

Jimbuna
11-29-12, 10:27 AM
I've just received word at short notice I have to sit a medication administering exam and I know one section is about Contra-Indicators (a condition or factor that serves as a reason to withold a medication).

Two that spring to mind are:

Never give Tetracycline to someone that is pregnant and never give Penecillin to someone with an allergy to it.

Can anyone suggest any more common examples please?

Gerald
11-29-12, 10:58 AM
Tetracycline use, should be avoided in pregnant or lactating women.

Tetracycline should not be taken.

Tetracyclines are alternative drugs in the treatment of.etc

Health conditions may be a health risk, when taken with tetracycline.

Before taking tetracycline, tell your doctor.

Tribesman
11-29-12, 10:59 AM
Can anyone suggest any more common examples please?
For common start with Aspirin, it should give you a pile of examples, then take an example like kidney and work in all the other drugs too.

Dowly
11-29-12, 11:01 AM
Yup, Aspirin should give you plenty of examples.

Gerald
11-29-12, 11:09 AM
There are a variety of generic substitutes in the market, in terms of Tetracycline and its side effects, as I understand it is about how you express yourself in the treatment of Tetracycline drugs....

Jimbuna
11-29-12, 11:12 AM
From original post "Never give Tetracycline to someone that is pregnant" :yeah:

Jimbuna
11-29-12, 11:15 AM
For common start with Aspirin, it should give you a pile of examples, then take an example like kidney and work in all the other drugs too.

Yup, Aspirin should give you plenty of examples.

Okay, I'll make a start with that but many people self administer and in my area it is classed as 'PRN' (Pro re nate - as and when required).

Gerald
11-29-12, 11:27 AM
So much for a demand.

Jimbuna
11-29-12, 07:00 PM
Aye that

Gargamel
11-29-12, 11:37 PM
What type of test is this, and wahts it for?

Usually you have to know the drugs before you know the contraindications.

I know 50-75 drugs off the top of my head from my medic days, and each of them have upwards of a dozen common contraindications.

Ex, Excessive Oxygen administration is somewhat contraindicated in respiratory distress patients with COPD.

Hypotension is a CI for Morphine Sulfate.

Unconsciousness is a CI for Ipacac.

Jimbuna
11-30-12, 11:54 AM
The exam is for those who administer prescription medication but the area I thought I'd struggle with was the section on contraindications.

I sat the exam at luchtime and only failed on one of fifty questions...."What is the current date of the Mental Capacity Act"?

I wrote 2004 and the correct answer was 2005.

So now I'm covered for a further twelve months to administer to those who aren't capable of doing it themselves.

Herr-Berbunch
11-30-12, 12:11 PM
Result :woot: Congratulations, and if you're not working tonight - a beer.

Jimbuna
11-30-12, 12:19 PM
Result :woot: Congratulations, and if you're not working tonight - a beer.

Cheers Tony...no I'm not working tonight or tomorrow so beer and a rum or three it'll be :cool: