PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam tourist cannabis ban rejected by mayor

Gerald
11-03-12, 08:21 AM
The mayor of Amsterdam says he will not ban foreign tourists from using the city's famous cannabis cafes, after months of argument over new drug laws.

The move comes after the new government of the Netherlands said it would be up to local authorities whether or not to impose such a ban.

Mayor Eberhard van der Laan said banning the sale of the drug to foreigners could lead to more crime.

Each year, some 1.5 million tourists visit Amsterdam to consume cannabis.

"The 1.5 million tourists will not say 'then no more marijuana', they will swarm all over the city looking for drugs," said Mayor Van der Laan, who has long opposed a ban.

"This would lead to more robberies, quarrels about fake drugs, and no control of the quality of drugs on the market - everything we have worked towards would be lost to misery."

Light up,:D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-20165371

Note: 1 November 2012 Last updated at 14:00 GMT

BossMark
11-03-12, 08:27 AM
A place where i have never been, but always to go so that I could go window shopping and see the sights :D:haha:

Rilder
11-03-12, 08:58 AM
Why deprive yourself of that extra tourism income and extra money from taxing the sellers/producers?

Certain countries with high debts could definitely use the extra taxes they could bring in from legalizing certain substances like Marijuana.

mookiemookie
11-03-12, 09:20 AM
Why deprive yourself of that extra tourism income and extra money from taxing the sellers/producers?

Certain countries with high debts could definitely use the extra taxes they could bring in from legalizing certain substances like Marijuana.

That's what I believe too. Why on earth would Amsterdam take the industry it's known for and screw it all up? That's like Hollywood kicking out all the movie studios.

Gerald
11-03-12, 09:24 AM

Certain countries with high debts could definitely use the extra taxes they could bring in from legalizing certain substances like Marijuana. Legalizing certain substances like Marijuana,is not my bag, but this have been a issues long time ago.

em2nought
11-03-12, 09:50 AM

It's a shame we're such prudes. This place needs to hold together for another ten years for me to get out.

Jimbuna
11-03-12, 12:07 PM
A place where i have never been, but always to go so that I could go window shopping and see the sights :D:haha:

Lived in Holland, not far from Amsterdam for a few years and never saw anything to concern me that was connected with dope.

Betonov
11-03-12, 03:32 PM
Lived in Holland, not far from Amsterdam for a few years and never saw anything to concern me that was connected with dope.

Marihuana is less dangerous than alcohol. It's not adictive enough to make someone go mad from abstinence, steal his grandmothers jewelry to get money and as long as you don't toast yourself to oblivion, it doesn't fry your brain. Unlike drunk people, stoned people don't get agressive, don't look around for trouble and don't start fights, drive like a grandmother (still dangerous to drive nevertheless).

I might as well come clean here. At the risk of this used against me in an argument
I smoke marihuana. Since april. Once a week, usually friday, I went to my friends house. We rolled home growned (I don't pay for drugs, even if I'm OK with using it), all natural. Drove there, walked home. Always stopped smoking when I felt that I was going to get wasted.
Why do I do it ?? It helps me relax. My thoughts loose the emotinal element. I helped me cope with 3 heartbreaks this year, a lot of labor intense projects and alcohol related family issiues. It milds my asthma and gives me a dreamless night. I lost the urge to kill someone since I started using.

So judge, tell me i'm a pothead, call my arguments invalid on the ground that i'm stones... I don't care. I don't suffer, people around me don't suffer and as I long as I maintain ''enough for tonight'' discipline, nothing will change.

u crank
11-03-12, 05:16 PM
Marihuana is less dangerous than alcohol. It's not adictive enough to make someone go mad from abstinence, steal his grandmothers jewelry to get money and as long as you don't toast yourself to oblivion, it doesn't fry your brain. Unlike drunk people, stoned people don't get agressive, don't look around for trouble and don't start fights, drive like a grandmother (still dangerous to drive nevertheless).

I might as well come clean here. At the risk of this used against me in an argument
I smoke marihuana. Since april. Once a week, usually friday, I went to my friends house. We rolled home growned (I don't pay for drugs, even if I'm OK with using it), all natural. Drove there, walked home. Always stopped smoking when I felt that I was going to get wasted.
Why do I do it ?? It helps me relax. My thoughts loose the emotinal element. I helped me cope with 3 heartbreaks this year, a lot of labor intense projects and alcohol related family issiues. It milds my asthma and gives me a dreamless night. I lost the urge to kill someone since I started using.

So judge, tell me i'm a pothead, call my arguments invalid on the ground that i'm stones... I don't care. I don't suffer, people around me don't suffer and as I long as I maintain ''enough for tonight'' discipline, nothing will change.

Refreshingly honest post.

No worries here mate. Although I haven't for many years I'd have to say I've smoked my share. :D

A couple of thoughts came to mind. "Live and let live" and this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNNxeovdN5U

em2nought
11-03-12, 06:59 PM
Why do I do it ?? It helps me relax. My thoughts loose the emotinal element. I helped me cope with 3 heartbreaks this year, a lot of labor intense projects and alcohol related family issues. It milds my asthma and gives me a dreamless night. I lost the urge to kill someone since I started using.

Never tried it, but now I want to. :D

mookiemookie
11-03-12, 07:06 PM

It's alright. Rather have a nice glass of bourbon on the rocks, though. :D

Betonov
11-04-12, 02:44 AM

like alcohol, it's not for everyone. I just hope now it has the same effect on you as it has on me, so I did not contribute to any drug related problems :oops:

It's all about having the discipline to stop. Unlike alcohol, where you throw up after you had too much, you can fry your brain in one night. My co-worker showed up so wasted the other night, that he was like that internet meme, one eye looking the other way than the other. That there is drug abuse. Some people just don't know when to stop. :nope:

Jimbuna
11-04-12, 06:55 AM
Refreshingly honest post.

A couple of thoughts came to mind. "Live and let live".

DITTO

Gerald
11-04-12, 10:19 AM
like alcohol, it's not for everyone. I just hope now it has the same effect on you as it has on me, so I did not contribute to any drug related problems :oops:

It's all about having the discipline to stop. Unlike alcohol, where you throw up after you had too much, you can fry your brain in one night. My co-worker showed up so wasted the other night, that he was like that internet meme, one eye looking the other way than the other. That there is drug abuse. Some people just don't know when to stop. :nope: Right, :yep:

Tchocky
11-04-12, 01:08 PM

They brought in restrictions last year here in Maastricht, and frankly I never saw any issues before. Only change is a bunch oif coffeeshops going out of business through either less trade or closing out of principled opposition.

Not an issue that I hugely care about, but I haven't seen a massive downside to the way the Dutch do it, aside from Amsterdam being pretty unbearable on busy tourist days.

Whereabouts did you live, jim?

Jimbuna
11-04-12, 01:36 PM
They brought in restrictions last year here in Maastricht, and frankly I never saw any issues before. Only change is a bunch oif coffeeshops going out of business through either less trade or closing out of principled opposition.

Not an issue that I hugely care about, but I haven't seen a massive downside to the way the Dutch do it, aside from Amsterdam being pretty unbearable on busy tourist days.

Whereabouts did you live, jim?

Dordrecht

kiwi_2005
11-04-12, 05:55 PM

I smoked Marjawana from my early 20s till i hit 35, nearly everyday, 7days a week a joint & cup of coffee was breakfast, first smoke for the day and i would go off to work come home and have another joint for the evening. Wife at the time smoked too all our friends smoked so there was no way i could give it up if i wanted too. But I didn't want too, made me relax and enjoy life one of the best things it would do to me is when stoned i would read for hours. Then come 35 i and the wife split up with me the kids to look after. I thought if i am to bring them up its best that i am straight as they were still young. So i gave it up in a day, no drawbacks no cravings it was easy cause i had be a proper father to them and i don't know if i would of been if i was always stoned. So i went straight . Tobbacco now thats a different story i still struggle to kick it. I can give up smoking for 6 or so months but end up going back. I never got that with dope.

geetrue
11-04-12, 06:30 PM
I smoked Marjawana from my early 20s till i hit 35, nearly everyday, 7days a week a joint & cup of coffee was breakfast, first smoke for the day and i would go off to work come home and have another joint for the evening. Wife at the time smoked too all our friends smoked so there was no way i could give it up if i wanted too. But I didn't want too, made me relax and enjoy life one of the best things it would do to me is when stoned i would read for hours. Then come 35 i and the wife split up with me the kids to look after. I thought if i am to bring them up its best that i am straight as they were still young. So i gave it up in a day, no drawbacks no cravings it was easy cause i had be a proper father to them and i don't know if i would of been if i was always stoned. So i went straight . Tobbacco now thats a different story i still struggle to kick it. I can give up smoking for 6 or so months but end up going back. I never got that with dope.

Great testimony man ... glad you saw the light for your children.

I too gave it up ... took about five days to get free, but free indeed I am. I think better now, look better have less fears glad I quit, but unfortunately for my son who is 44 ... he didn't quit and got caught with 22lbs in his back yard and now he's doing time for it with a trial coming up in a couple of months.

Practically legal in California, Oregon, Colorado and I think Washington is next. Just hope they don't let it go public ... if your smoking it stay off my streets man. :arrgh!:

kiwi_2005
11-05-12, 01:13 AM
Great testimony man ... glad you saw the light for your children.

I too gave it up ... took about five days to get free, but free indeed I am. I think better now, look better have less fears glad I quit, but unfortunately for my son who is 44 ... he didn't quit and got caught with 22lbs in his back yard and now he's doing time for it with a trial coming up in a couple of months.

Practically legal in California, Oregon, Colorado and I think Washington is next. Just hope they don't let it go public ... if your smoking it stay off my streets man. :arrgh!:

Oh no sorry to read that about your son. 22pounds that's a lot of dope :D Heres hoping he'll just get a big fine or something i dont know what the laws are over in the states but i hope he doesn't have to do a big lagg. Good on you for giving up.

From what ive seen in my country alcohol & cigarettes does more damage than dope, i would rather be stuck in a room full of pot smokers than a room full of drunks.

Betonov
11-06-12, 04:26 PM
damn geetrue, thats some bad luck, 22 pounds is a felony even in my country

geetrue
11-06-12, 04:48 PM
damn geetrue, thats some bad luck, 22 pounds is a felony even in my country

Yeah it's looking bad for him, but his mother is married to a very wealthy man that she divorced me for 34 years ago and she has spent $12,000 on two attorney's so far with no luck.

I bought a license for $100 to claim four pounds for record purposes (no way I'm going to go in and ask for it lol) plus he had a license and his girlfriend had a license and one of his other friends had a license good for four pounds each. The only problem is that they want to pin him on gang related selling it too.

That's the rub so far, but he said he won't smoke it no more if they let him go. I know I won't I like my freedom :yep:

Betonov
11-06-12, 05:01 PM
I really hate that. Drunk driving is a fine, one night in the cooler and (maybe) loss of your licence. Having pot and you're treated like a meth cook/dealer :nope:

Gerald
11-06-12, 06:52 PM
Good that you are away from drugs, :)

Penguin
11-08-12, 08:10 AM
hey geetrue: I keep my fingers crossed that your son will avoid a prison sentence. Hopefully one day we'll look back at the era of illegal marijuana just like we look back at the Prohibition era.

I'm glad to see that the public opinion changes - the balloots in some states give reason for some hope.

Cheers, Penguin - I quit grass and alcohol a month ago.:|\\

geetrue
11-08-12, 11:26 AM
That's great news Penguin ... keep up the good work

stay busy don't go back to your old life style ...
when that old urge comes back just laugh at it
and say, "I don't need you no more"

Alcohol is probably the harder temptation to give up
due to so many people using it.

My son has been in jail for nine months already and the
men in there with him were sentenced to 19 months for just selling one bag.

He had it all packaged up to go sell just sitting on the table when they knocked on the door.

All I can do is hope that more good comes out of this than bad.

Thank you for caring

Jimbuna
11-08-12, 11:55 AM
Hope it all ends well for you and your son geetrue.

Penguin
11-08-12, 02:29 PM
That's great news Penguin ... keep up the good work

stay busy don't go back to your old life style ...
when that old urge comes back just laugh at it
and say, "I don't need you no more"

Alcohol is probably the harder temptation to give up
due to so many people using it.

Thanks man, though I must say that I am more on a hiatus for an indeterminate time for various reasons. So one day I'll maybe light one up again or enjoy a good malt, I'll see.
I have always been around people who drink or do other drugs, just as well as I am around people who don't do any of this - so I don't have to change much of my lifestyle. Luckily I am no alcoholic, so I can still enjoy my alcoholfree beer at a party or a concert :)

My son has been in jail for nine months already and the
men in there with him were sentenced to 19 months for just selling one bag.

He had it all packaged up to go sell just sitting on the table when they knocked on the door.

All I can do is hope that more good comes out of this than bad.

Thank you for caring

I care because first you're a honorable member of this subsim club here, and second because I don't see what your son did as a crime from my point of view. He did some wholesale distribution, so what. Costco does this all the time - and some of the food they sell is much more toxic than marijuana. :know:
So here's hoping that reason will reign in your judicial district. :salute:
This idiotic witchhunt, that put too many people behind bars for victimless "crimes" went on long enough - not even talking about the costs for the individual and for the taxpayer.