PDA

View Full Version : New Jobs Report

19Herr_Rapp86
11-02-12, 12:41 PM
The Labor Dept. released the monthly jobs report today, showing unemployment at 7.9%, only one tenth of one percent higher than last month. Now what does this mean for President Obama? Well, it shows that job growth is at a virtual standstill, though the 7.9% figure is much better than the 8.2% that held for 42 months. I don't think this new jobs report will help, or hurt the president. Now had the figure been back above 8% again, that may have been the last nail in the coffin for President Obama, but the unemployment figure is now back to where it was 4 years ago. Now, this is good news for Governor Romney, because he can continue his campaigning of "are you better off now that you were 4 years ago?", and I'm sure a lot of Americans are unhappy with the new numbers that equate to about 12.3 million unemployed. But now lets talk about what the jobs report doesn't tell us. Part time labor is NOT included in the jobs report. The jobs report only includes people that are looking for work as unemployed. So it's not like 12.3 million Americans aren't working at all, though some sources will try to convince you otherwise. Conversely, the jobs report also does not include people who have just given up trying to find work. So now that I have opined and presented some facts about the jobs numbers, how do you, the people, think these new numbers will affect the election, now only 4 days away, if at all?

em2nought
11-02-12, 04:56 PM
In an Idiocrazy these things don't matter Herr Rapp. :D

19Herr_Rapp86
11-02-12, 05:23 PM
I'm assuming you mean where the unintelligent outnumber the intelligent, if I'm not mistaken, correct?

Stealhead
11-02-12, 07:17 PM
The Labor Dept. released the monthly jobs report today, showing unemployment at 7.9%, only one tenth of one percent higher than last month. Now what does this mean for President Obama? Well, it shows that job growth is at a virtual standstill, though the 7.9% figure is much better than the 8.2% that held for 42 months. I don't think this new jobs report will help, or hurt the president. Now had the figure been back above 8% again, that may have been the last nail in the coffin for President Obama, but the unemployment figure is now back to where it was 4 years ago. Now, this is good news for Governor Romney, because he can continue his campaigning of "are you better off now that you were 4 years ago?", and I'm sure a lot of Americans are unhappy with the new numbers that equate to about 12.3 million unemployed. But now lets talk about what the jobs report doesn't tell us. Part time labor is NOT included in the jobs report. The jobs report only includes people that are looking for work as unemployed. So it's not like 12.3 million Americans aren't working at all, though some sources will try to convince you otherwise. Conversely, the jobs report also does not include people who have just given up trying to find work. So now that I have opined and presented some facts about the jobs numbers, how do you, the people, think these new numbers will affect the election, now only 4 days away, if at all?

Most likely not by this point most have decided how they are going to vote and may already have voted early(I did) or have already voted absentee.

In my opinion the majority of people (the ones that use their brains) have strong leanings as to how they will vote well before election day and of course the party liners are going to vote for their party often with little thought placed on the actual candidate in many cases they might know a little about the candidate for president and their policies but after that its what is after the candidate name what matters.

19Herr_Rapp86
11-02-12, 08:38 PM
Most likely not by this point most have decided how they are going to vote and may already have voted early(I did) or have already voted absentee.

In my opinion the majority of people (the ones that use their brains) have strong leanings as to how they will vote well before election day and of course the party liners are going to vote for their party often with little thought placed on the actual candidate in many cases they might know a little about the candidate for president and their policies but after that its what is after the candidate name what matters.

I agree with you on that. I, for one, knew pretty much well ahead of time who I was voting for. My preferred candidate didn't make the primary. I was following Speaker Gingrich, because his views matched mine the most. I track the next election as soon as the previous election is over, paying attention to what the guy I voted for is doing. Is he practicing what he preached and sticking to his guns now that he's elected? Who's he appointing to his cabinet? Is he working with both parties to solve the nation's problems? etc. A well educated electorate is the key to success in this country.

mookiemookie
11-02-12, 09:28 PM
I think the average American is going to look at their personal situation and factor that in a lot more than what some government bean counter says. The economy is slowly getting better, but to someone who's still out of work and has been for the past two years, they're less likely to be of that opinion. Personal experience is a much more vivid and real thing to people than some abstract numbers and figures, thus we're more apt to believe it. That's why politicians always have some little story about "Mary in Virginia" or "Jim in Vermont" rather than charts and graphs (unless it's Ross Perot.)

So I'm not sure how much this report's going to sway someone.

19Herr_Rapp86
11-02-12, 09:49 PM
I think the average American is going to look at their personal situation and factor that in a lot more than what some government bean counter says. The economy is slowly getting better, but to someone who's still out of work and has been for the past two years, they're less likely to be of that opinion. Personal experience is a much more vivid and real thing to people than some abstract numbers and figures, thus we're more apt to believe it. That's why politicians always have some little story about "Mary in Virginia" or "Jim in Vermont" rather than charts and graphs (unless it's Ross Perot.)

Very true

Stealhead
11-02-12, 09:56 PM

It all depends on their views a person may be out of work and still have a differing view on the situation it is no guarantee that they will lean one way or the other depending on their convictions.I have a friend that hands out canned and dry goods to needy people he says that you'll often hear them sit and argue Romney vs Obama.

To think that a given candidate is going to suddenly make things better for you is having false hope.To even think that things will get better for you in months is as well.You never know when things will turn in your favor for the better and it might have nothing to do with who is in office.It will most likely have everything to do with being at the right place at the right time and some good fortune every penny land on heads some times.If you truly believe in sudden fixes I have some good Kool-aid for you to drink.