PDA

View Full Version : Can we be sure the world's population will stop rising?

Gerald
10-14-12, 10:07 AM
Forecasters expect the world's population to reach 10bn by the year 2050 - but could the figure be a lot, lot higher?

The United Nations Population Fund, UNFPA, recently published a report describing the world's ageing population.

"Today we have one in nine persons aged 60 or over," says the UNFPA's Dr Ann Pawliczko, "but by 2050 it'll be one in five, and by that time there will be more older persons than those under 15 years."

The UN sees these statistics as a cause both for celebration because more people are living longer, and some concern because the change presents an economic and social challenge.

Dr Pawliczko would like see more countries prepare for the coming demographic shift. After all, she says, there is no doubt it is happening.

"We can be very certain about the numbers for 2050 because persons who will be aged 60 in 2050 are already born. This not speculation."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19923200

Use condom....:D

Note: 13 October 2012 Last updated at 23:18 GMT

Oberon
10-14-12, 11:42 AM
Hans Rosling has done some good talks on global statistics, including population growth. Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTznEIZRkLg

How this guy can present statistics is very good. :yep:

Cybermat47
10-14-12, 04:45 PM
The population size of the Earth will rise amazingly quickly when Cybermat47 turns 16.

Nice.

JU_88
10-14-12, 05:19 PM
The population size of the Earth will rise amazingly quickly when Cybermat47 turns 16.

?? Where was that quoted from?

Cybermat47
10-14-12, 05:33 PM
My fevered imagination :D

Gargamel
10-14-12, 05:41 PM
Explains a lot. :O: doesn't make sense, but it does explain a lot.

As to OP

Finite amount of food/resources = finite population.

Back when I did wild land firefighting (very briefly albeit), had crew chief who always aid we should let them burn, eventually it will burn up all the available fuel. May lose a few cities, but it will still burn itself out.

Cybermat47
10-14-12, 05:50 PM
But isn't the point of having a firefighting service to stop the fire before it burns down a city?

Gargamel
10-14-12, 06:05 PM
That's one point of view.

CaptainMattJ.
10-14-12, 07:21 PM
Shortages of necessities havent stopped reproduction in many places, such as the less fortunate areas of Africa and Southeast Asia. People there seem to still be reproducing regardless. Unfortunately people dont seem to care whether or not they actually have the ability to care for a child and the whole family suffers as a result. We cant support this kind of reproduction. 10 billion people would take this planet to unknown stretching points. And as time goes on, Population only booms faster.

JU_88
10-14-12, 07:41 PM
Shortages of necessities havent stopped reproduction in many places, such as the less fortunate areas of Africa and Southeast Asia. People there seem to still be reproducing regardless. Unfortunately people dont seem to care whether or not they actually have the ability to care for a child and the whole family suffers as a result. We cant support this kind of reproduction. 10 billion people would take this planet to unknown stretching points. And as time goes on, Population only booms faster.

Yep, if we dont bring our over breeding under control voluntarily nature will step in and do it for us.
Sad we always have to learn the hard way. Ill feel bad for our kids - kids, it wont be their fault.

Tribesman
10-15-12, 03:07 AM
Shortages of necessities havent stopped reproduction in many places, such as the less fortunate areas of Africa and Southeast Asia. People there seem to still be reproducing regardless. Unfortunately people dont seem to care whether or not they actually have the ability to care for a child and the whole family suffers as a result. We cant support this kind of reproduction. 10 billion people would take this planet to unknown stretching points. And as time goes on, Population only booms faster
Try the link Oberon provided.
Shortages don't stop it

Betonov
10-15-12, 03:18 AM
Shortages don't stop it

More likely they increase it.

JU_88
10-15-12, 03:18 AM
Shortages don't stop it

....Not yet they dont. But when it gets so bad that most kids dont live long enough to have kids? .....'The unknown stretching point' suggests that it can and will get much worse than mere 'shortages' what about total deprevation and resource wars?
If what we have now is clearly unstustainable, then its obviously not going to be able to continue for and another century or two is it? we have to change it.
Population growing + Enviroment deteriorating = forced decline in the end.
Mankind cant continue to 'live for the now' as though infanite growth is sustainable. if we are going to continue to embrace greed and irresponsiblity, we will get whats coming to us eventually.

I like what Oberons swedish guy is saying, but one of the biggest questions I have with it -is; How will the enviroment be able to cope with 10 billion + living by near western standards (even if we go green). Food production/consumption alone would be a huge challenge. The way the economic situation is deteriorating now, there is no way we are going to end poverty in time to level off at 9 billion.
The entire global economic model would need to be redesigned in order to accomplish what he is suggesting.
Over consumption and waste would have to be brought under control. And the 'continous growth' model of the 20th centrury - scrapped.

Aviv
10-15-12, 05:54 AM
Interesting topic. What I find unusual is that in the time of my grandparents (c.1930- less than 100 years ago) the world population was around 2 billion. In the time of my parents (c.1960) it had risen just to 3 billion. In the time of my life (c. 1990) the world population has shot up to between 5 and 6 billion. And now in 2012 we have a world population of over 7 billion. If the number of people can rise from 2 billion to over 7 billion in less than 100 years, I expect that it will not stop, but rather increase at a faster rate.

Another worry is that the rates of birth in places like China, India and Africa, who already have very high populations is continuing to increase, while in Europe and America it is stagnating, because of the number of children of each parents.

I often think what will the world be like for my children (when I have them). Think about how things were 50 years ago to us today, how things can change so much.

Oberon
10-15-12, 06:04 AM
There is a theory on Peak Child, in that eventually the number of children being born will level out, I hope that this is the case, because unsustainable growth is...by its name...unsustainable.

Here's another of Hans Rosling and his statistics:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Vog3uZ47O8

the_tyrant
10-15-12, 06:18 AM
With enough political will, population control can work.

Now the population growth hotspot is not Africa, sure population growth is high, but low life expectancy is keeping it in check. India on the other hand, is a country with a rapidly increasing population, and a rapidly increasing life expectancy.

If the indian government doesn't enact strict population control measures, it will spiral out of control.

JU_88
10-15-12, 06:50 AM
Another reason why nations need to watch their immigration intake carefully too in the future.
I got not nothing against immigrants, many of them are honest people just looking for opportunity, nothing wrong with that :)

But I hope that when we hit 9 billion or so, nations who have their population numbers under control do not continue to absorb populations which overexpand.
1) Because it spreads a lower the standard of living to those who learned to use contraception once while ;)
2) It gives counties that over expand some room to continue to do so with out tackling the problem or facing the consequences for it.

Its irresponsible and is detremental to the whole of mankind not just one country.
Plus if the standard of living can be rasied in poorer countries, people will have much less of a reason to immigrate in the first place..

Skybird
10-15-12, 07:05 AM
World's population growing more than projected - could be true or not, but in the long range it will dramatically collapse, most likely by very unpleasant ways.

JU_88
10-15-12, 07:24 AM
World's population growing more than projected - could be true or not, but in the long range it will dramatically collapse, most likely by very unpleasant ways.

Could happen that way, we can only hope not. - the sad part, is that it is well within everyones indervidual power to avoid that situation :dead:

Trouble is woman have maternal instinct and men want to get laid 24/7. Same for any speices - all will over breed given the chance, the only advantage humans have is 2 methods to control it.

1) WMDs :hmmm:
2) Contraception and material distractions :O:

Skybird
10-15-12, 07:48 AM
3.) Epidemics
4.) Mass starvation
5.) Natural disaster due to erosion and environmental effects coming from over-exploitation of naturaöl habitats.
6.) Cosmic disaster (meteor impact, radiation front hitting Earth)
7.) Geologic disaster (Yosemite super volcano for example)

Life is more fragile and uncertain than you might imagine, JU-88. :o

JU_88
10-15-12, 09:22 AM
3.) Epidemics
4.) Mass starvation
5.) Natural disaster due to erosion and environmental effects coming from over-exploitation of naturaöl habitats.
6.) Cosmic disaster (meteor impact, radiation front hitting Earth)
7.) Geologic disaster (Yosemite super volcano for example)

We already have many of those on a regular basis and they barely make a dent. :)

mapuc
10-15-12, 01:18 PM
In videos on youtube, there's a lot about minimize the population. According to the believes the elites are planning a worldwide military operations that would cut the populations to 500.000
(yes that's a conspiracy too)

Markus

JU_88
10-15-12, 02:32 PM
In videos on youtube, there's a lot about minimize the population. According to the believes the elites are planning a worldwide military operations that would cut the populations to 500.000
(yes that's a conspiracy too)

Markus

Yes its very ammusing, the latest theory was that this operation was supposed to kick off as a false flag event during the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics, but of course, like all their predictions it didnt happen. And reason is that the illumunati 'changed there plans' (again) because people 'spread the word' on the internet.
You see, despite all their money, power and influence, the illuminati are hopeless at keeping secrets, they are so smug about their evil plans that they just have to tell their friends, who tells their neighbours, who tells their dogs, who tells Alex Jones .....and before you know it - wham! their evil secret plans are in a youtube video with 500,000 views.
At which point the elite shake their fists in the air and curse:
"Damn you internet conspiricy theorists with your youtube and your scary matrix theme tune music, damn you for spreading the word.. again, you've ruined our NWO plans.....again!" :88)
But of couse, I am just fluoride drinking, chemtrail sniffing reptilian sheep.... so what do I know? ;)

Skybird
10-15-12, 02:53 PM
We already have many of those on a regular basis and they barely make a dent. :)
We had miniature toy versions of these, to please bored children when they watch TV. The real stuff I talk about we have had NOT. At least not since the first hominides started to walk on only their back legs.

mapuc
10-15-12, 02:57 PM
Yes its very ammusing, the latest theory was that this operation was supposed to kick off as a false flag event during the opening ceremony of the London 2012 Olympics, but of course, like all their predictions it didnt happen. And reason is that the illumunati 'changed there plans' (again) because people 'spread the word' on the internet.
You see, despite all their money, power and influence, the illuminati are hopeless at keeping secrets, they are so smug about their evil plans that they just have to tell their friends, who tells their neighbours, who tells their dogs, who tells Alex Jones .....and before you know it - wham! their evil secret plans are in a youtube video with 500,000 views.
At which point the elite shake their fists in the air and curse:
"Damn you internet conspiricy theorists with your youtube and your scary matrix theme tune music, damn you for spreading the word.. again, you've ruined our NWO plans.....again!" :88)
But of couse, I am just fluoride drinking, chemtrail sniffing reptilian sheep.... so what do I know? ;)

:har::har::har::har:

Gerald
10-16-12, 09:43 AM
Hans Rosling has done some good talks on global statistics, including population growth. Here's a link to one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTznEIZRkLg

How this guy can present statistics is very good. :yep: Good link,Obi :yep:

GT182
10-16-12, 11:14 AM
In the future the next wars will not be about territory or the beliefs of a country. It will be war over food to feed it's people.

August
10-16-12, 11:29 AM
In the future the next wars will not be about territory or the beliefs of a country. It will be war over food to feed it's people.

Until this century wars have always been about feeding people more or less. Either to obtain more territory for expansion or to prevent someone from expanding into yours or just to obtain enough treasure to pay for it. Ideology and beliefs are usually just an excuse to start something.

GT182
10-16-12, 11:42 AM
If I'm not mistaken, but I could be, Japan attacked us over oil not food. And their ideology of controling Asia which would be for territory for them to expand. I don't believe food was any part of WWII for either Germany or Japan. Same for Viet Nam.

August
10-16-12, 11:45 AM
If I'm not mistaken, but I could be, Japan attacked us over oil not food. And their ideology of controling Asia which would be for territory for them to expand. I don't believe food was any part of WWII for either Germany or Japan. Same for Viet Nam.

Well by food I really mean natural resources. All are required to maintain large populations.

Skybird
10-16-12, 11:55 AM

Sweet water.

Some see the wars of '67 and '73 as the first wars over controlling reserves of sweet water. I happen to agree with them.

GT182
10-16-12, 11:56 AM
Well by food I really mean natural resources. All are required to maintain large populations.

No, I mean wars over food alone. Include water with food. We can not survive without water Other resources we can do without, but not food or water. No food no water =s no people... pure and simple. And both are one of reasons the dinosaurs are gone. ;)

Tribesman
10-16-12, 12:05 PM
I don't believe food was any part of WWII for either Germany or Japan.
Yes the planned living room full of agrarian settlements to become the breadbasket of the reich wasn't any part of the plan, and hitler never claimed that jews had ruined german agriculture.

August
10-16-12, 03:06 PM
No, I mean wars over food alone. Include water with food. We can not survive without water Other resources we can do without, but not food or water. No food no water =s no people... pure and simple. And both are one of reasons the dinosaurs are gone. ;)

No, other resources cannot be done without. How do you think your food makes it from some far off farmers field to your dinner table?

JU_88
10-16-12, 05:36 PM
No, other resources cannot be done without. How do you think your food makes it from some far off farmers field to your dinner table?

Yep, also without fuel & energy, we are severely limited as to what food we can actually produce at all, and as August points out - we would have no means to transport them out of the feild. Trucks, planes and trains dont run on thin air, and even a horse has gotta eat :)
The worlds major cities have next to no self-sufficiency where food is concerned, they are most heavily populated areas and they hardly produce any food at all, its nuts when you think about it.

Tribesman
10-16-12, 06:18 PM
Yep, also without fuel & energy, we are severely limited as to what food we can actually produce at all, and as August points out - we would have no means to transport them out of the feild. Trucks, planes and trains dont run on thin air, and even a horse has gotta eat
So as an example when Imperial Japan made its demands in China it wanted the farms and the mines, plus it wanted the railroad and the ports

geetrue
10-16-12, 06:40 PM
I am due back in heaven by 2038 so I won't be here, but I wonder when the recall for hot dogs made out of pork, chicken, turkey and hoofs and beaks will be recalled with a special number for anyone that consumed them during the years they were available? :woot:

Armistead
10-16-12, 07:34 PM
I pretty much can't stand people, so the less the better.

August
10-16-12, 11:09 PM
I pretty much can't stand people, so the less the better.

You first.