PDA

View Full Version : Toddler served whisky at Frankie and Benny's restaurant

Gerald
10-11-12, 12:20 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img5/6775/63427753whiskey2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/63427753whiskey2.jpg/)
Sonny Rees drinking the whisky at the restaurant.

A restaurant has apologised after a toddler was served whisky instead of fruit juice at his birthday party.

Sonny Rees drank the whisky at his second birthday in a Frankie and Benny's restaurant in Swansea.

His mother Nina Rees only realised the mistake after he had nearly finished the drink.

Sonny, from Pontarddulais in Swansea, was taken to accident and emergency where he was kept under observation by doctors.

The toddler is now recovering at home. The restaurant is investigating how the incident happened.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-19906942

Note: 11 October 2012 Last updated at 11:16 GMT

Gerald
10-11-12, 04:46 PM
Poor,boy thirsty but got the wrong drink :hmmm:

Cybermat47
10-11-12, 04:47 PM
Well, someone's head will roll... Hopefully!

Gargamel
10-11-12, 06:33 PM
I'm proud of the boy!!

As a whisky drinker myself (looking at my almost empty bottle right now, with melancholy), I must say being able to finish a drink at that age is very impressive. It's not the easiest thing to drink. It does look like apple juice though.

I have recently found that 2/3 Arnold Palmer and 1/3 jack is very delicious.

Cybermat47
10-11-12, 07:05 PM
Erm... He ended up in hospital.

I wouldn't say that he's that tough.

Gargamel
10-11-12, 08:45 PM
As a precaution only. Pansy parents to blame there.

I served a fair share of small children mixed drinks.

Takeda Shingen
10-11-12, 09:04 PM
As a precaution only. Pansy parents to blame there.

I served a fair share of small children mixed drinks.

Remind me not to bring my children to your house.

Platapus
10-11-12, 09:06 PM
I am actually surprised the kid would continue to drink it. Drinking whisky is an acquired taste.

I remember when I was about 7-8 years old, sneaking a sip of my dad's drink.

Yikes!

It was the last time I ever tried THAT. :haha:

Gargamel
10-11-12, 09:11 PM
Remind me not to bring my children to your house.

Oh no, not like that.

Ethanol Is the antidote to methanol poisoning. So I have, on numerous occasions, went to a liqueur store, bought some vodka and oj, went back to the emergency room, and served the dying children screwdrivers until they got better. There's nothing funnier and more heartwarming than a drunk 6 year old that suddenly feels much better.

I am actually surprised the kid would continue to drink it. Drinking whisky is an acquired taste.

I remember when I was about 7-8 years old, sneaking a sip of my dad's drink.

Yikes!

It was the last time I ever tried THAT. :haha:

That was my point. Tough stuff to drink.

soopaman2
10-11-12, 09:17 PM
Not passing judgement one way or the other, I remember as a youngin, tasting whiskey and ginger ale, and it tasted mighty fine.

It was obviously a mixed drink, unless the pic included was meant to mislead, and they gave the boy a shot glass. Nail the waiter/waitress, not the restaurant itself.

Unless somehow these hurt parents can prove some kind of institutionalized toddler intoxicating...

Oberon
10-11-12, 09:20 PM
It was obviously a mixed drink, unless the pic included was meant to mislead, and they gave the boy a shot glass.

That pic was taken at the table whilst the kid was drinking it, they thought it was lime juice and water...I'd wager it was whiskey and water instead, or whiskey and lime. Not many restaurants I know would serve that much whiskey at one go neat.

Cybermat47
10-11-12, 09:22 PM
Oh no, not like that.

Ethanol Is the antidote to methanol poisoning. So I have, on numerous occasions, went to a liqueur store, bought some vodka and oj, went back to the emergency room, and served the dying children screwdrivers until they got better. There's nothing funnier and more heartwarming than a drunk 6 year old that suddenly feels much better.

Thank God.

I thought you gave it to them for lulz.

I hope they never have to have alcohol again before their 21st birthday, though.

Jimbuna
10-12-12, 05:47 AM
That pic was taken at the table whilst the kid was drinking it, they thought it was lime juice and water...I'd wager it was whiskey and water instead, or whiskey and lime. Not many restaurants I know would serve that much whiskey at one go neat.

I'd agree, if the drink in the picture is the actual drink it looks to be diluted.

I doubt a youngster that age could have drank a neat shot of that size.

I should imagine whoever was waiting on that table is the one who will have to carry the can.

Oberon
10-12-12, 06:40 AM
I'd agree, if the drink in the picture is the actual drink it looks to be diluted.

I doubt a youngster that age could have drank a neat shot of that size.

I should imagine whoever was waiting on that table is the one who will have to carry the can.

Aye. Having worked in the industry (and still with one foot in it) I can see how mistakes like that can be made due to poor communication, poor training and sheer exhaustion. However, rather than address those, it will most likely fall on the person who served the drink or took the order and they will carry the can right the way to the job center and/or their agency.

Jimbuna
10-12-12, 07:23 AM
Aye. Having worked in the industry (and still with one foot in it) I can see how mistakes like that can be made due to poor communication, poor training and sheer exhaustion. However, rather than address those, it will most likely fall on the person who served the drink or took the order and they will carry the can right the way to the job center and/or their agency.

Sad but true....take it out on those lowest in the pecking order.

Garion
10-12-12, 11:16 AM
Mmmmm

What if...

The parents ordered the drink, gave it to the kid, took the piccy and then tried to exploit their money making idea?

I'll get my coat

CHeers

Gary

Jimbuna
10-12-12, 11:37 AM
Mmmmm

What if...

The parents ordered the drink, gave it to the kid, took the piccy and then tried to exploit their money making idea?

I'll get my coat

CHeers

Gary

Then they'd run the risk of being charged with cruelty to a child under the age of twelve years.

Garion
10-12-12, 11:49 AM
Then they'd run the risk of being charged with cruelty to a child under the age of twelve years.

But only if their cunning plan was foiled....:arrgh!:

Cheers

Gary

Gargamel
10-12-12, 12:06 PM
Thank God.

I thought you gave it to them for lulz.

I hope they never have to have alcohol again before their 21st birthday, though.

Err why not?

Another egocentric American paradigm rears its ugly head.

Gerald
10-12-12, 03:08 PM
Some get taste of alcohol at a young age, or by their parents before they even come of age, the later the better, in many cases.

Oberon
10-12-12, 03:21 PM
I had a couple of sips of...I think it was rum and coke, or Barcadi and coke, when I was around six or seven. Didn't turn me into an alcoholic...in fact it ruined a good coke in my opinion at the time. :haha:
Had a bad experience with mixing my drinks at a house-warming party a few years ago, felt rather terrible, vowed not to feel that terrible again and rarely touch the stuff these days.

Gerald
10-12-12, 03:38 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img822/8997/baileysdrink.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/baileysdrink.jpg/)

Yes I remember, for a good while since you like mix Baileys and something more....:o

Oberon
10-12-12, 03:55 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img822/8997/baileysdrink.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/822/baileysdrink.jpg/)

Yes I remember, for a good while since you like mix Baileys and something more....:o

:o Well, I had a glass of Baileys, almost a pint glass of year old Grouse whiskey, some random lager and something else I can't remember.
It was one of those nights...I do recall trying to do an impression of Gene Kelly on a zebra crossing light:
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/singin-in-the-rain-blu-ray.jpg

It didn't work... :nope:

Gerald
10-12-12, 04:01 PM
^The cost of being hungover,:O:

Jimbuna
10-12-12, 04:08 PM
I had a couple of sips of...I think it was rum and coke, or Barcadi and coke, when I was around six or seven. Didn't turn me into an alcoholic...in fact it ruined a good coke in my opinion at the time. :haha:
Had a bad experience with mixing my drinks at a house-warming party a few years ago, felt rather terrible, vowed not to feel that terrible again and rarely touch the stuff these days.

Famous last words :)

Madox58
10-12-12, 04:17 PM
Took a sip of my Dad's beer when I was young.
I did not like it at that time.
Now I love my beer!!

Did the heavy Whiskey drinking when I was younger but rarely touch it now.
Unless it's Makers Mark! But who can afford that?

Depending on who you talk to your an alcoholic if you drink for any number of reasons.
I don't buy into all the crap I've been fed over the years.

So the kid had a drink through an accident. Big deal!
In the end? A parent is the final responsable party.
I can smell alcohol across a table. What was thier problem?
Drinking maybe, which reduces the ability to smell alcohol?
:hmmm:

Egan
10-12-12, 04:56 PM
Apparently the parents were only upset because the kid was the designated driver.

Who exactly is drinking Baileys? That's a girls drink. Unless, of course, you have riddled it with the Buckfast.

AS for Whiskey, I'll still to my Jura or my Old Pulteney. That'll put hairs on your chest.

And your liver.

Gerald
10-12-12, 05:25 PM
Well...Baileys is sweet just like a woman, but personally can it taste the coffee, or equivalent...:cool:

Jimbuna
10-12-12, 05:38 PM
Apparently the parents were only upset because the kid was the designated driver.

Who exactly is drinking Baileys? That's a girls drink. Unless, of course, you have riddled it with the Buckfast.

AS for Whiskey, I'll still to my Jura or my Old Pulteney. That'll put hairs on your chest.

And your liver.

LOL :)

Gargamel
10-12-12, 06:56 PM
Baileys is excellent in drinks you want creamier and smoother.

I truly enjoy a good, well mixed white Russian with dinner. Usually followed by a Double Glenfiddich on the rocks.

Some of my other favorite baileys mixes:

In hot chocolate. Yum.

With butterscotch schnapps. Love them nipples.

Or for a real charmer, if you or your bartender is skilled enough, float 1/2 **** of baileys on top of 1/2 shot of lime juice. Serve it to your victim, err friend, and have them swish it around in their mouth. It's called a cement mixer.

Jimbuna
10-13-12, 05:30 AM
Baileys and a good french brandy to fortify it :cool:

Gerald
10-13-12, 06:47 AM
Baileys is excellent in drinks you want creamier and smoother.

I truly enjoy a good, well mixed white Russian with dinner. Usually followed by a Double Glenfiddich on the rocks.

Some of my other favorite baileys mixes:

In hot chocolate. Yum.

With butterscotch schnapps. Love them nipples.

Or for a real charmer, if you or your bartender is skilled enough, float 1/2 **** of baileys on top of 1/2 shot of lime juice. Serve it to your victim, err friend, and have them swish it around in their mouth. It's called a cement mixer. Seems to be fine mixtures, :arrgh!:

Cybermat47
10-13-12, 05:39 PM
Another egocentric American paradigm rears its ugly head.

I'm Australian.

Geno_Mariner
10-22-12, 09:01 AM
Tried my first beer at 13-ish, never touched it again after that (was a brew by my brother's) :88)

And damn, I don't know how that kid did it (if it is real)... my friend gave me a small amount of straight whiskey a couple years ago and yikes, it is a bit strong. I don't mind it so much now with coke. Did try Baileys once, it's kinda nice.

(Edit: Just been back checking the threads since I haven't been around, don't mind me :S )