PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Tommy

Skybird
09-15-12, 09:09 AM
http://www.welt.de/regionales/duesseldorf/article109221108/Soldaten-gehen-und-hinterlassen-800-Wohnungen.html

The Brits are leaving my hometown, after 67 years. Have been used to see their flags, Jeeps, trucks and APCs in several parts of the city since my childhood (my family comes from here). Some random meetings with those living in soldier houses up the road I live in, always have gone very relaxed.

When I came here myself twelve years ago, some time later I was invited to a TV barbecue party in their garden during the first football tournament after I moved here. Some very grounded, friendly guys I met on that day, it was a good time. One just has to get used to this queer sense of humour of theirs :D. Since I am quite black-humoured myslf, we matched well.

Not close enough ties to say I'm sad over the Brits leaving - but it won'T be the same without the Union Jack flying at soccer evenings anymore. :)

Thanks, and good luck in the places you are leaving for now.

Oberon
09-15-12, 09:28 AM
Thanks for having them, and welcoming them. :yep: Makes all the difference to the troops to have a friendly populace to live alongside I'd say.

Jimbuna
09-15-12, 10:14 AM
Thanks for having them, and welcoming them. :yep: Makes all the difference to the troops to have a friendly populace to live alongside I'd say.

DITTO :salute:

http://imgcash6.imageshack.us/img91/5841/greatbritaincj6.gif

Herr-Berbunch
09-16-12, 03:47 AM
I was never posted there but have been a couple of times on excise, during one I witnessed the handover of Bruggen from the RAF to the Army. The locals weren't to keen, the army guys were quite insular and drunk, we, in the RAF, were drunk also but because we'd joined in with wearing fancy dress we were taken to the hearts of the locals.

I hope that all these years later the army have learnt to mingle.

Skybird
09-16-12, 05:09 AM
To be honest, my parents told me that there were times when the Brits' reputation here was not good. On weekend nights, meeting a group of them could have meant trouble, the "besoffener Tommy" was a proverb, and there were many events of street fightings.

However, that is a long time ago so that I have no memory to that myself (age 45). Today, the Brits here live in - probably self-choosen - isolation of their community, they have some living areas with simple but pretty houses and green places all around where their families somewhat flock together, and the Germans themselves are not overly eager to reach out to them as well. I think it is like that most often with foreign military garrisons stationed in other countries, and I recall it was the same with the Americans in West-Berlin.

But the point is, that where there are contacts between both sides, they are smooth and friendly now, and since long time. Nobody today is used to talk about the Brits the way it was long time ago, and on their side, even on weekends there is not a single negative headline I can remember. People now living in town just do not remember that old phrase of "besoffener Tommies" anymore. People change, populations change, many young ones have moved in, and the old ones have moved out. The needed interaction between the military and the city worked fine by all what the public knows, the times of Brits "street fighters" patrolling the street on Saturday evenings are long since gone, and like the Dutch, who also hold a small military representation here in the city, the living together is smooth, free of problems, and friendly where opportunty for contacts arises.

Jimbuna
09-16-12, 06:44 AM
What is 'besoffener' in English Sky, my translator can't figure it out?

Tribesman
09-16-12, 07:02 AM
What is 'besoffener'
pisshead.
besoffener tommy=drunken obnoxious British squaddies

Jimbuna
09-16-12, 07:22 AM
pisshead.
besoffener tommy=drunken obnoxious British squaddies

Ah, right...nowt new there then :)

Skybird
09-16-12, 09:16 AM
What is 'besoffener' in English Sky, my translator can't figure it out?
Drunken - and seriously so.

Herr-Berbunch
09-16-12, 09:23 AM
Sounds about right, if it's any consolation it's similar, or used to be, in the UK's garrison Towns. :nope:

Skybird
09-16-12, 12:07 PM
Sounds about right, if it's any consolation it's similar, or used to be, in the UK's garrison Towns. :nope:
Well, as I said - I have no own memory of things having been like this. It all seems to have changed for the better long time ago.

Jimbuna
09-16-12, 12:59 PM
I remember being in Cyprus in 84 and you were hard pressed to find a bar without an inebriated Brit serviceman inside.

Oberon
09-16-12, 02:03 PM
AARSE has Munster as:

Used to be a BMH there, cracking posting.
Funnily enough there are loads of Germans there.
Best place to nick a pushbike from is the Bahnhoff. This form of transport is needed if:
A) You've run out of money or:
B) If you've puked over your clothes and the boxhead Taxi wont take you back to camp.
Pushbikes should be left on the camp perimeter fence so that once a week an armourer can collect them all, swap the bike parts around, repaint them and then flog them to the QM.....allegedly
I confirm - I was a bike thief. Used to flog them for 20DM a time from under the cookhouse at York Kaserne. Great posting, some very friendly pubs locally who depended upon the 'Tommy' marks. SKC on site at York as well as a NAAFI superstore. Handy Toc H just outside the barracks as well. Good brattywagon came onto the square at York every night.
Other lines along that strip (which used to be the Luftwaffe airbase) were, Swinton (17/21L), Buller (29 Fd RA and 3LI) then there was Oxford (1IG), Portsmouth (8 Regt RCT), and the BMH over the other side of town.

Make of that what you will, but I must admit, the old tales of army lads on the prowl in towns on a Friday night do seem to have abated since the 80s and 90s, perhaps that's because there's less of them about, I don't know.

Either way, my previous post in this thread still applies. :yep:

Herr-Berbunch
09-16-12, 02:34 PM
Yeah, successive cuts mean there are much fewer getting in the army in the first place, and that means fewer besoffeners.

Jimbuna
09-16-12, 05:00 PM
They simply don't have the money anymore....it all goes on buying the boots and kit they're seldom issued with now :hmm2:

Tribesman
09-17-12, 02:23 AM
Sounds about right, if it's any consolation it's similar, or used to be, in the UK's garrison Towns.
I always found it depended on which of the regiments was stationed in the towns.

I remember being in Cyprus in 84 and you were hard pressed to find a bar without an inebriated Brit serviceman inside. I remember being in Cyprus in 84 and you were hard pressed to find a bar without an inebriated Brit serviceman inside. 09-16-2012 06:07 PMI remember being in Cyprus in 84 and you were hard pressed to find a bar without an inebriated Brit serviceman inside. 09-16-2012 06:07 PM
They have a terrible reputation there, yet the Irish army manage to go there and get completely rat-arsed without getting the same reputation for bad drunken behavior.

Oberon
09-17-12, 05:07 AM
Dare I use the stereotype and say that the Irish can handle their drink between than the British can? :hmmm:

Jimbuna
09-17-12, 05:24 AM
Dare I use the stereotype and say that the Irish can handle their drink between than the British can? :hmmm:

NO YOU DARE NOT!! :stare:

Unless your prepared to go to Catterick, Hereford and Colchester etc. and announce it publicly.

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2884/drunkcob.gif

Tribesman
09-17-12, 05:45 AM
Dare I use the stereotype and say that the Irish can handle their drink between than the British can?
You could, but a look at the patterns might be better.
Britain has had a long presence, with the SBAs the colonial fallout still continues to be a legacy issue in local politics which of course reflects in locals attitudes to the troops based there.
The IDF on the other hand just turns up for a break while they are on deployment elsewhere in the region.
They may even get drunker and be even more obnoxious, but it isn't constant and they don't carry lots of historical local baggage with them so they don't get the same reputation as the British troops.

Herr-Berbunch
09-17-12, 08:08 AM
Unless your prepared to go to Catterick, Hereford and Colchester etc. and announce it publicly.

You failed to mention Aldershot, where the Irish Guards are based. :O:

Oberon
09-17-12, 08:22 AM

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/2884/drunkcob.gif

Having met some of the lads from Colchester I think it's probably a good idea if I don't. :O:

Jimbuna
09-17-12, 08:28 AM
Having met some of the lads from Colchester I think it's probably a good idea if I don't. :O:

LOL :03: