PDA

View Full Version : I miss the "Good-ole days"

Dr.FullOfIt
07-13-12, 06:35 PM
Hexes and counters and imposing rules booklets. TacticsII, Squad Leader, Battle for the Atlantic, and VG's Fleet series. Most gamers today think a chit is the result of a bathroom visit. I feel like the last DoDo Bird sometimes. Oh well, old wargamers never die, they just turn on the computer!:know:

TorpX
07-17-12, 12:42 AM
I feel the same way.

I think computer games have great potential, but the obsession with glitzy graphics and instant gratification wastes it. Most of the ones I've tried are either chock full of bugs, or like a silly pin-ball game. :nope:

Platapus
07-17-12, 04:44 PM
There are still groups that play the "hex games".

If anything I think "hex games" have expanded since I started playing them in the 70's. We have a gaming store close to where I work. OMG, the selection and variations! :huh::huh::huh:

The good ole days of board-based games is NOW! :yep:

The problem is not finding the games, but finding the time and the people to play them with. This gets a bit harder the older you get (wheeze!). :D

BTW, welcome aboard!

kiwi_2005
07-17-12, 04:59 PM
I remember the time when I would buy a game and I actually finish it without any distractions cause the next new game to come out was months away. Now I buy a game get half way through it then some other game catches my eye so i get that and then get another and another and before i know it i have 20 games on my hdd with only maybe 2 ive managed to finished.

Games are coming out to fast these days i can't keep up! :/\\!! its like a games war between the companies, get that game out before XX gets thers out i don't care if its full of bugs get it out anyways!

Games ive manage to finish this year

Skyrim finish the story in a few days but still play it cause its one of those games that could go on forever

Silent Hunter 5 - first ever SH campaign ive ever finished out of the SH series and i played right up to 1945 using the open Horizons mod

DOW II and expansion. (this game kicks ass)

BF3 story

Dragon Age origins ( another one that kicks ass)

Deus Ex revolution

Mass effect 2 still trying to get though Mass effect 3 i was doing so well before i spotted Risen 2 dark waters and now hoping to finish that.

Oh yeah i just realise i need to finish MOH as well.

:D

Hinrich Schwab
07-17-12, 05:15 PM
There are still groups that play the "hex games".

If anything I think "hex games" have expanded since I started playing them in the 70's. We have a gaming store close to where I work. OMG, the selection and variations! :huh::huh::huh:

The good ole days of board-based games is NOW! :yep:

The problem is not finding the games, but finding the time and the people to play them with. This gets a bit harder the older you get (wheeze!). :D

BTW, welcome aboard!

This is true. It takes time to both set up and play old school wargames. When people are on limited timetables due to work, family or other requirements, it makes it real hard to get anywhere. The board game Diplomacy is the same way. It all but requires seven players and a good game can last hours, days or months.

I do not see tabletop wargaming going anywhere for one simple reason which I know everyone will appreciate; no internet connection required. :D

Stealhead
07-17-12, 08:29 PM
You should take a look at Matrix Games (http://www.matrixgames.com/) they have lots of hex type war games over there.

You might like The Operational Art of War III for example.

Platapus
07-18-12, 03:53 PM
I do not see tabletop wargaming going anywhere for one simple reason which I know everyone will appreciate; no internet connection required. :D

Plus you get to interact with actual people. You know, talking, which is a traditional way of communicating using spoken words.. no it is not that app that vocalizes your tweets, it is actual talking TO a human. And guess what, often they talk back to you. :up:

History books sometimes refer to this as "conversation" :yep:

:D

Blacklight
07-18-12, 05:55 PM
A big difference with wargames now, for the most part, is that they're either simplifying things, or adding tons of little plastic minis, or going into some kind of Eurogame/Wargame hybrid. You're seeing less and less of the "classic" hex and counter games and more of the other ones.

Also, the players for traditional hex and counter wargames is staying pretty much with the older generation. The younger generations just don't have the attention span for them any more. The same thing is going on with tabletop role playing games. Every time I go to a game convention, I just see a LOT of people my age and VERY few young bloods.
Heck. Dungeons & Dragons has even super simplified, and mutated into this "Dragonball Z"-like board game mockery of itself in order to attract youngsters.

Yamato_NF
07-18-12, 09:53 PM
personally, i play flight sims when im not playing SH...
just a list:
Falcon BMS
DCS Black Shark 2
DCS A-10C
Janes Attack Squadron (old)

and personally, i have FRIENDS who play CoD, i always tell them that its NOWHERE next to a flight sim like Falcon BMS...:nope:
and i keep telling them that if they played DCS, their heads would explode from lack of patience :rotfl2:
instant gratiication......
you said it...

TheSatyr
08-09-12, 02:16 PM
Blacklight,check out DVG games,GMT games and locknloaded games.