PDA

View Full Version : Total War: Rome II

Biggles
07-02-12, 09:02 AM
It's now official, and no longer just rumors!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKglskMfyWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBq_04CF0qc&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tycIeIDUbw&feature=relmfu

Dowly
07-02-12, 09:19 AM
Excellent!! :up:

Takeda Shingen
07-02-12, 09:32 AM
Woot!

Crécy
07-02-12, 09:52 AM
Where can I pre-order?

Right, most anticipated game of almost all time for me so I will try a strategy and watch or read no information about the game whatsoever. Thus I will start the game without knowing anything about it and I can be surprised by all the magnificent nuances of it... Oh, the glory...

Ducimus
07-02-12, 11:07 AM
YES! :yeah:

Dive! Dive! Dive!
07-02-12, 11:29 AM
And I wanted a continuation of Empire. Guns are much more my speed :wah:

Oberon
07-02-12, 11:50 AM
Just watched the 'Faces of Rome' live action trailer...very much 'Rome' orientated, and with talk of a renewed focus on behind the scenes action, I hope that CA have taken a look at Crusader Kings II and taken a similar approach.

I guess I'll need to reinstall Rome at some point, I did have some fun with the Europa Barbarorum mod, although coming up from Medieval I (which I loved) I still struggle with the new strategic map and movement on it. :dead:

Arclight
07-03-12, 04:13 AM
A little writing:

Surprise! Eyes-On With Total War: Rome II (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-2-preview/)

Hail CAesar! A Chat With Total War: Rome II’s Lead Dev (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/02/total-war-rome-2-interview/)

The promise is truly spectacular, really hope they can pull it off. And that we don't need a next-gen supercomputer to run it.

Stealhead
07-04-12, 12:07 AM
A new Rome Total War made the most sense to me not too surprised that it will be next.It was the most logical choice Shogun just got its last DLC and Empire (and that era are still recent) Medieval already has a part II making a part III when you can make part IIs in a franchise dose not make sense.

Sounds like it will be pretty good so far and I think that Rome Total War and its add ons are easily the most popular of the TW series. I hope they decide to cover a large time span at least from the early days the Roman republic.

Maybe they will let you start as the Etruscans so you can dominate in stead of Rome.

Rilder
07-04-12, 02:24 AM
With the Way CA operates these days, let me lay out a little of what you should expect with Rome 2.

Rock Paper Scissors mechanics.
Unit Progression without side grades.
Lorica Segmenta wearing holywood Romans. :nope:
DLC up the arse. (Though they might go the path of having 90% of the units as DLC instead of Shoguns 90% of the factions being DLC)
Shallow, Rushed campaign mode. (Seriously Shogun 2 was horrible about this, you can't just sit down and take a break to prepare your faction for the next war, nope it has this way of trying to push you to be fighting and expanding constantly, I hated it so much)

Oh and the worse of it all.

Little if any ability to actually mod anything (In fact I think they said this in one of the articles already)

Oh sure you'll see the balance mods and maybe slight graphics changes but you will never see the amazing mods that made RTW an amazing game.

I bought Shogun 2 awhile back for like five bucks ages ago and still think I was ripped off and secured me in my position of not giving CA another cent, I will definitely not buy this game. :yep:

Arclight
07-04-12, 02:38 AM
Sometimes I think "hyperbole" and "gamer" are synonymous... There were exactly 2 DLC factions and 1 unit pack (10 units), none of which seem particularly interesting. Only DLC I bought is Rise of the Samurai, which is rather good imho.

What they horribly botched though is the competitive MP stuff. Generals were severely overpowered and allowing DLC units into it is just daft; turns it into pay-to-win.

Raptor1
07-04-12, 03:08 AM
While the last few TW games have had some severe design flaws (Empire's campaign map and in-melee square forming, Shogun II's morale system, spear-proof generals and multiplayer in general, to name a few), I think the comparative lack of modding capacity is really the biggest problem with the TW series since Empire came out. I'll probably buy Rome II when it comes out anyway, but I don't think there's much chance they'll actually start paying attention to how much mods can improve games like these.

Arclight
07-04-12, 05:11 AM
Which is rather odd, considering how it maintains and drives sales many years down the line for a fair few titles. Arma comes to mind. And they even gave people who didn't buy their DLC a free version of it as to not fracture the community. Considering the ongoing support and continued sequels, that series doesn't seem to be doing too bad.

I never really played much Total War mods, but it's certainly the type of game that stands to gain a lot from it thanks to it's scale and relative complexity.

Anyway, what I wanted to post initially and forgot about :roll::

CA On Rome II’s AI, Scope & Incendiary Pigs (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/03/rome-total-war-2/)

Dowly
07-04-12, 05:24 AM
RTW II really needs to be moddable. I'm betting there's quite a few people
(myself included) who are already hoping for RTWII+Europa Barbarorum. :yep:

Rilder
07-04-12, 08:18 AM
RTW II really needs to be moddable. I'm betting there's quite a few people
(myself included) who are already hoping for RTWII+Europa Barbarorum. :yep:

Most of us EB fans are just hoping the team could get EB2 into a release state.

I wish Dominion of the Sword would get into a release state too since it seems to be the Medieval Era version of Europa Barbaroum.

There were exactly 2 DLC factions and 1 unit pack (10 units), none of which seem particularly interesting. Only DLC I bought is Rise of the Samurai, which is rather good imho.

I was also including Fall of the Samurai in that which currently has 4 DLC factions.

Arclight
07-04-12, 08:45 AM
I see... let us not speak of FotS... ever.

Biggles
07-04-12, 10:31 AM
I thought Fall of the Samurai was terrific, and Rise wasn't that bad either.

Arclight
07-04-12, 12:29 PM
I just have to agree that the DLC situation is rather terrible in that case.

6 playable clans by default, and 4 from DLC. Imho that's thoroughly off the deep end.

Biggles
07-04-12, 12:52 PM
Yeah, that's not too good tbh...if there was one thing I didn't like from the whole Shogun thing then it was the small scale overall....Only Japan? Really? Didn't stop me from enjoying it, but I much prefer all of Europe, for instance.

Takeda Shingen
07-04-12, 01:33 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the 'back to our roots' approach in Shogun 2, combined with lessons learned from the, frankly, mediocre Empire and Napoleon titles. The original Shogun was my all-time favorite title in the TW series, with Rome a close second. Looking forward to the prospects of a Rome 2.

Nippelspanner
07-05-12, 12:06 AM
I see... let us not speak of FotS... ever.

+1

That...title... was just a shamefur dispray! :nope:

I have the best hopes for Rome II and cant wait to send my legions to take Gallia... yes... whole Gallia - this time! :stare:

Biggles
07-05-12, 07:11 AM
Wow, okay, I won't keep banging on this drum, but FotS was FAR from a shamefur dispray in my eyes....

Oh well, to each his own.

TheSatyr
07-12-12, 10:45 AM
I have to say that I completely agree with Takeda on this one. My only gripe is that I wish they had done a Korean War DLC for Shogun 2. (Funny how that war went almost exactly the same way the 1950s Korean War went.).

Drewcifer
07-13-12, 10:41 AM
Simply put I don't think I will enjoy the game unless it has the sort of character interactions of Crusader Kings 2. While I love the Total War series, I feel like if any game deserved more attention to the individual characters it has to be Rome.

Dowly
09-26-12, 02:33 PM
First gameplay trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGSHI0Ohgqc

:yeah:

Nippelspanner
09-26-12, 04:04 PM
Hooooly Mumbajumba what a F-BOMB³ awesome game!:timeout::o:rock:

HunterICX
09-26-12, 04:57 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma2dymPcZS1ql17wq.jpg

HunterICX

Arclight
12-18-12, 11:49 AM
Ripe Old Carthage: Total War – Rome II (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/12/18/ripe-old-carthage-total-war-rome-ii/)

My word... Carthage looks blooming gorgeous, dunnit?

Wonder if all the cities will be so detailed, or only the battlefields for the "pre-made" battles. :hmmm:

Takeda Shingen
12-18-12, 12:19 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma2dymPcZS1ql17wq.jpg

HunterICX

^^ This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaDlihIqPws

soopaman2
12-19-12, 01:44 AM
This brings joy to me!
My first PC game was Rome Total war, what was that 97?

My computer at the time could barely run it, lol:)

As old as it is I still play it. I loved how the senate would turn on you, I loved tussling with the other factions, and external enemies.

I would like them to expand on the political system more in this game.

And I am with HunterICX and Takeda Shingen, take my money. The franchise has yet to disappoint, and always innovates.

I am a die hard Total War fan. Kinda hard to tell, I know:O:

Dowly
12-19-12, 04:34 AM
This brings joy to me!

2004 :O:

HunterICX
12-19-12, 04:39 AM

Rome Total War was released in 2004

HunterICX

CCIP
12-19-12, 10:11 AM
RTW still counts as the game that made my jaw drop the most when I actually saw it on my PC. I seriously couldn't get over how amazing it looked at the time.

I think RTW2 looks on track to do something similar. Hopefully around the time it's out, I will be also getting a new rig to make it look as good as it should :cool:

Also kind of makes me want to go give Europa Barbarorum another whirl :hmmm:

Biggles
12-19-12, 10:41 AM
Roma Surrectum II is also an unbelievable mod. Not quite the scale as EB but truly fleshed out. Downside is that it's pretty tricky to install correctly and apparently it won't work with other mods installed...

HunterICX
03-01-13, 05:02 AM
The Burning Ambush: Total War – Rome 2
I really hate that stupid title...just call it Rome 2: Total war :hmph:

If you dig deep in any random farmer’s field or carpark in Britain, you’ll eventually find a Total War: Rome 2 (http://www.totalwar.com/en_gb/) trailer. They’re impressive too – shiny, dramatic and packed to the brim with tiny men of war. While I’m convinced that, at times, the game will be as attractive and grand as the videos suggest, I’m also aware that a great deal of the footage contains heavily edited historical battles rather than the kind of backwater skirmishes I usually find myself panning across from a distant vantage point that is actually tactically useful. The latest video shows the battle of the Teutoburg Forest, in which Germanic tribes ambushed Romans and total warred them to death.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/28/the-burning-ambush-total-war-rome-2/

HunterICX

kiwi_2005
03-09-13, 06:06 PM
Havn't checked every page so my bad if someone already mention, that there will be a War hammer total war coming out as well:rock::rock:

Tho no space marine guys. Old school fantasy this time round. Maybe if it does well they might move over to SM. Having said that, Space marines might not work as a TW type game.

Total War developer The Creative Assembly has signed a deal to make multiple games in the Warhammer universe, publisher Sega has announced.http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-06-total-war-dev-announces-multi-game-warhammer-deal

Task Force
03-10-13, 05:18 AM
This makes me wonder, where did Warhammer 40ks IP go? If Sega doesn't have it (or they just aren't saying they have it outright) then who does.

Raptor1
03-10-13, 06:24 AM
This makes me wonder, where did Warhammer 40ks IP go? If Sega doesn't have it (or they just aren't saying they have it outright) then who does.

Logically the license would revert back to Games Workshop for them to do whatever they want with it, but these IP laws are usually ridiculously convoluted so I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

Arclight
03-10-13, 07:53 AM
A lot of the licensed property is being auctioned off, but Warhammer isn't in there. I'd guess Sega has the rights now, after acquiring Relic.

That said, Homeworld is being auctioned as well, so obviously that wasn't transfered with Relic. Though Homeworld was published by Sierra at the time (all the Sierra stuff is a mess, try finding a copy of SWAT 4). :hmmm:

(*or... not? 40K still with THQ aparently)

the_tyrant
03-10-13, 09:22 AM
I'm not gonna lie, I grew up with total war.

I actually started off with shogun total war, it was one of the games of my childhood (with red alert, starcraft age of empires, and command and conquer)

Stealhead
03-11-13, 01:14 PM
I did not grow up playing the TW games but they are easily some of my favorites.The first TW for me was Rome I have played all of them since then. My favorites would be Medieval TW II and Total War: Shogun II.I love playing as a clan in Shogun II that has an opposing religion to Shinto Buddhism (Ikko Ikki and Otomo) I love spreading my clans faith to the people while also making captured lands easier to control.

When I am playing a TW game I find it hard to stop playing.The desire to make my faction/clan ever more powerful is enjoyable.I enjoy the management aspect as much as I enjoy the battles.

Based on Creatives Assemblies overall track record Total War: Rome II will be a good game.I hope though that they focus on some other eras with future titles.I would love to see a TW set in ancient China lots of potential there.

HunterICX
03-20-13, 04:55 AM
Dying Total War Fan Immortalised As Rome 2 Unit

The videogames industry isn’t all sexualisation, lies and Doritogates, you know. Sometimes nice things happen because they are nice things. Case in point, the Creative Assembly giving a fan with not long to live a chance to play pre-alpha Rome 2 code, advise on its development and be recreated as a proud soldier of the Roman empire in-game. Tragically, the chap did not survive his battle with cancer, but this seems a touching memorial.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/19/dying-total-war-fan-immortalised-as-rome-2-unit/

A very nice gesture from CA to appreciate a fan.

HunterICX

Dowly
03-20-13, 05:06 AM
Indeed. :yep:

CaptainHaplo
03-20-13, 11:27 AM
.... but these IP laws are usually ridiculously convoluted so I don't think anyone really knows at this point.

It is this exactly. Its why the MechWarrior reboot has not happened and looks to be totally dead in the water... :down:

Sure they did MWO - but what if your a MW junkie and have no single player to ease your pain?

TheDude107
03-20-13, 11:43 AM
I'm not gonna lie, I grew up with total war.

I actually started off with shogun total war, it was one of the games of my childhood (with red alert, starcraft age of empires, and command and conquer)

Yeah I grew up playing (actually, trying to beat the campaign but always failing) with my friend up the street. Then when Shogun 2 came out I was excited as I've played every title since the original.

I read somewhere that they decided to do Shogun 2 first so they could get practice for making Rome 2: Total War. Which gave them experience with things like realm divide, and other grand strategy problems that would have been a major problem in the oupcoming title if they hadn't figured it out. Since the game will probably feature civil war in Italy and all the families like the original Rome: TW, I hope they fixed the campaign AI a bit and take their time.

Stealhead
03-20-13, 02:53 PM
I don't really think that CA makes a game just to practice for the next title of course any organization should improve with each outing from experience gained.They seem to always progress to me for the sake of making that title better than the previous.I think they picked Shogun 2 because they want to make an update of each of the first three titles of Total War.A Rome II any sooner would have been too close to the original Rome and they already published a Medieval II that made Shogun the most logical choice for the next major title after Empire.

They really did a good job with the additions to Shogun 2.I really enjoy being able to choose how my Generals and agents progress.The ability to directly control "artillery" units was another nice addition.It will be fun to man a ballista and fire darts though fools In Rome II.

I wonder how many factions will be Roman if there are only a handful it would be logical that they are go at each other thoughts to take Rome (or take back).

In Shogun 2 I thought realm divide was a bit wonky.In real life some of the clans actually did hold firm to alliances.In the game they pretty much all side against you no matter what. In a real civil war especially in the case of feudal Japan that would never happen someone always benefits from a new group taking power and would choose to stay allied with them.

HunterICX
03-23-13, 04:58 AM
One for Raptor1

Pyramid Scheme: Total War II Egyptian Faction Revealed

Embracing Egyptian religion and customs, the Ptolemies have since made themselves Pharaohs, continuing the long engineering tradition of great temple and monument building. Greek culture and learning are actively encouraged however, and an upper class of Greco-Egyptians has emerged. But things are not always harmonious; with Greek units garrisoned and veterans settling throughout the territory, the privileges of Greek citizens have led to frequent and bloody uprisings by the indigenous people.

The intermingling of Greek and Egyptian fighting styles provides the Ptolemaic Pharaohs with a military that is both advanced and balanced, yet still honours the role of the champion commander. Making great use of spear and pike, their forces are further diversified with skilled swordsmen, scythed chariots, and more exotic units such as African war elephants. Egypt’s position on the Mediterranean Sea also requires a substantial navy to protect its colonial and trade interests.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/22/pyramid-scheme-total-war-ii-egyptian-faction-revealed/

HunterICX

Raptor1
03-23-13, 12:16 PM
There...are...no...bloody...Chariots... :shifty:

Oberon
03-23-13, 12:42 PM

You looking for historical accuracy in a Total war game again? :har:

HunterICX
03-23-13, 12:51 PM

You have to go Arnold on that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mXQBoaYcuBg#t=5s

HunterICX

Raptor1
03-23-13, 12:53 PM
You looking for historical accuracy in a Total war game again? :har:

Looking for, yes. Expecting, no.

Crécy
04-11-13, 02:54 AM
Because Why Not: Total War Has The Biggest Screenshot (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/11/because-why-not-total-war-has-the-biggest-screenshot/)

IN A WORLD where game publishers are all in competition over very silly, largely pointless things for no real apparent reason…

[Scene: the world]

Sega: “Push the button.”

Creative Assembly: “This is madness. We can’t do it. If we take this step, there’s no turning back. Not just for us, but for the world.”

[Scene: still the world]

Epic: “Did you see the readout coming from Sega? They’re just mad enough to do it.”

Crytek: “But why? This is going to change everything. We’ll have to fire back with something even bigger. Somehow. Otherwise, the Graphics Wars will be lost.”

Epic: “It’s a goddamn arms race from here on out. Best buckle up, kid.”

[Scene: that first portion of the world again]

Sega: “PUSH THE BUTTON. PUSH IT NOW. FOR ROOOOOOOOOOOME.”

[Scene: space]

An astronaut, gazing down at Earth: “Sweet mother of god.”

The new Total War: Rome II screenshot is visible from space, I think, is what I was trying to say there. Because seriously, have a look at it for yourself. Creative Assembly and Sega are touting it as the Biggest Total War Screenshot Ever, which comes in the wake of the near-equally absurd Once Biggest Total War Screenshot Ever. What’s the point of all this? I have absolutely no idea. But here we are:

“In AD 9, the Roman general Publius Quinctilius Varus and the 17th, 18th and 19th legions were ambushed in Germania. 15,000 Romans walked into Teutoburg Forest. Not one walked out. Varus’ defeat was every bit as stunning as Scipio’s victory over Carthage (the subject of our last panorama) and it shook the empire to its very foundations.”

“Recreating the massacre of Teutoberg Forest in the Total War™: ROME II engine was no small task, and we thought it deserved a panoramic screenshot of its own. At 30000 x 9785 pixels, Welcome to the new WORLD’S BIGGEST TOTAL WAR SCREENSHOT!”

YEAH OR WHATEVER I GUESS. I’m not sure if it’s the biggest officially released promotional screenshot of any game ever, but it’s definitely up there. So there you have it: this is some kind of milestone. An incredibly silly, kind of dumb one, but a milestone nonetheless.

Panoramic screenshot (http://tww-data.s3.amazonaws.com/panorama/index.html)

Egan
04-11-13, 02:02 PM

Lol, that was my first thought as well! :D

Now, that's a big screenshot. Very pretty it is too.

Have they ever increased the unit count? It always used to be 20 I think.

Raptor1
04-11-13, 02:05 PM
Have they ever increased the unit count? It always used to be 20 I think.

They increased it to 40 in Fall of the Samurai, which I suppose is also going to be the limit in Rome 2.

Oberon
04-11-13, 02:16 PM
Because Why Not: Total War Has The Biggest Screenshot (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/11/because-why-not-total-war-has-the-biggest-screenshot/)

Panoramic screenshot (http://tww-data.s3.amazonaws.com/panorama/index.html)

Another epically huge screenshot of madness:
http://tww-data.s3.amazonaws.com/panorama2/index.html

Crécy
04-12-13, 12:41 AM
Another epically huge screenshot of madness:
http://tww-data.s3.amazonaws.com/panorama2/index.html

Hmm, odd. I was sure that I originally indeed linked to that screenshot and not the city one.

Oberon
04-12-13, 08:05 AM
Hmm, odd. I was sure that I originally indeed linked to that screenshot and not the city one.

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3482/tumblrls4g1ekomn1qgtn9l.jpg

Dowly
07-25-13, 01:05 PM
13 minutes of campaign gameplay:
http://youtu.be/sdTaLwvf-R0

Dowly
08-22-13, 08:45 AM
Unboxing the Rome II Collector's Edition (While being attacked by wardogs):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZt2BkutcYs

:haha:

CaptainHaplo
09-02-13, 10:59 AM
Release is tomorrow.... who preordered? I didn't - but I might get it in a few weeks.

Lionclaw
09-02-13, 11:49 AM
I got it in the mail earlier today, now it's pre-loaded and ready for action. :yeah:

Vince82
09-02-13, 12:20 PM
I like that Mark Strong is voicing a roman general in RomeII.

Don't have time to play this game tho.

Arclight
09-03-13, 01:07 AM
Is the Greek States DLC thingy included in boxed versions?

* nvm, might just grab it from Gamersgate. Fair bit of Blue Coins (store credit) back.

Archangel
09-03-13, 08:19 AM
I have followed the game on and off but I am not going to play it now even though I want to.

I decided to run through a grand campaign (with victory of course) on all the other TW games besides the first Shogun and Medival before I go on to Rome II.

As of now I have finished Rome I and Medival II and struggling as Prussia in Empire.

After that it is:

- Napoleon
- Shogun II
- Shogun II - fall of the samurai
- Rome II

Arclight
09-03-13, 10:12 AM
Rather disappointed the speeches are gone again. And agent cutscenes. Other than that, smooth sailing so far.

Arclight
09-03-13, 01:37 PM
No walls around Syracuse... *facepalm*

More cities missing their walls for that matter. Putting them only on region capital is a nice gameplay mechanic, but historically speaking it creates some really weird situations.

Valantine
09-03-13, 04:16 PM
Arclight: the speechs are back and better than ever: if you camera near your general just after starting the battle he is actually giving the speech to his troops there rather than in a cut scene as in Rome I; the troops even react properly: if he's a great warrior with many victories and positive traits they cheer loudly and clatter shields etc. if he's a bit of a muppet it can be quite subdued and the troops are audibly worried about their chances!

Also, during the battle if you zoom in you can hear officers shouting to their men, men shouting out in panic or in zealous assault - you can get a really great idea of how a fight is going simply by going to unit camera and listening to the shouts and other battlefield noise - very cool stuff!

As it is: I'm enjoying it although it is taking some getting used to: I still don;t fully understand the Rome senate/general/characters thing properly - but it probably doesn't help I don't do tutorials and just jumped into a grand campaign!
V

Arclight
09-03-13, 06:10 PM
Ah right, I heard him rambling at the start of battles for a bit, didn't know they integrated more than that though. Gonna have to pay closer attention. :hmmm:

Skybird
09-05-13, 08:32 AM
I would like to know what the content of the boxed DVD is. The full game, or just a Steam installer downloading it?

Also would like to know how they handle patches. Do they again replace the full game (you must download the full game again) or do you need to download only a short patch of some dozen or hundred MBs? Box says the installed game consumes 32 GB of HD space, no way it is pleasant having to download that volume every couple of days, when they updated some stuff.

How is the AI, especially when defending/attacking cities, citywalls?

Biggles
09-05-13, 10:00 AM
The boxed copy (the one I bought from Gamestop at least) contains 3 discs which you use to install the game. But there was a day-1-patch that I had to download, though it wasn't that big. Extra plus for the manual inside! Game manuals nowaday mostly just explain why epileptics should be careful and adds for upcoming games. This one explains new features well enough! :up:

ATM, the game is...ehh...good but somewhat unpolished...they've promised to release weekly patches to fix it, but it seems to me that it's pretty bad that a developer have to do this nowadays...this is my biggest gripe with Steam: Developers get lazy! They release unfinished products because they know that they can just throw out a bunch of patches easy peasy with that great big steamy cloud!:-?

With that said, I see humongous potential in this game! And until the more glaring problems are sorted out (and most problems I have with the game are bugs rather than design choices so no worries there) I'll play Civ V and try to get that freaking cultural victory!:/\\!!

Dowly
09-05-13, 12:30 PM
So, how is it in comparison to Shogun 2? Anything really new or just small
improvements here and there?

Biggles
09-05-13, 01:19 PM
Well, for one thing, the campaign map is HUGE. Like, yeah, it's pretty damn big.

As you probably now, regions are split into settlements, and you can now manage city building in up to 4 cities from the same menu. It's somewhat confusing, but I really see the potential: especially when you forge empires that spans all of Euroasia.

There's also family politics now, not as much as I'd wish tbh, but it adds some extra interesting bits to it all. I noticed yesterday that my best admiral was the head of my strongest rival family, so...do I keep using him, or do I try and put him in a political decline?

One thing I really miss is historical tidbits...remember Medieval II and even the first Rome, how there were sometimes messages regarding a historical event such as a volcano erupting or a specific invention? None of that here. Not a gameplay issue but it makes it seem a bit soulless.

Arclight
09-05-13, 01:27 PM
Mm the way regions are handled, forming into provinces is pretty different. Public order and culture is handled on a provincial basis, so owning 1 region in a province lets you spread culture throughout the province (provided it has a higher influence then the culture from the other owners. Boost it with buildings and agents and such). All (owned) regions contribute total + and - to order in that province.

It also means you can't really rampage and take a province in 1 swoop; order drops with each conquest (-25 for 1 turn, and -10 which decreases with 1 each turn). With order now going from -100 to 100, you do get a lot more time to stabilise things short of revolt. No more regions going into revolt instantly.

The wonky thing about it is that only the province capital gets a wall. Makes it tricky to defend "minor" settlements and is a bit unhistorical (like I mentioned, Syracuse lacks a wall).

Generals are limited; you get a higher cap as you get more powerfull. With armies having to have a general, it means you can't really make small militia armies anymore. Free garrison units are more numerous to compensate, but they are still fairly weak.

All buildings are within settlement boundries, so no more 3 roaming archers burning down farms and such. Armies do get stances now (raiding, forced march, fortify etc) to do similar things.

Seas are more important. If an enemy has a port at a sea, piracy will be very high, taking your profits from trade lanes. Seas you control (by owning all ports at it) have very low piracy. So no more actual pirate fleets roaming around.

Agents and generals have 3 stats. Agents can perform actions based on each stat. For example, spies have 3 different ways to assassinate, each one based on a different stat.

There's quite a bit actually, come to think of it. :hmmm:

All in all, I think it's a good game but a bit over-simplified and a bit... bland.

For over-simplified, there's no more roads to build for example. Which is a bit odd since Romans. They were pretty good with roads. Reason they left it out is because it just doesn't fit with how they did construction. They could have done a "provincial construction" tab though, something that unlocks when you own the entire province. Could think of a few other appropriate upgrades to go with that.

Bland because it lacks the classic TW feedback. Just adding some cutscenes to introduce the faction you play at start and on agent actions would have spiced things up a bit. You know, the stuff they did with all the other games. Thus far I've seen a cutscene for when a family member dies and a triumphant general (no idea why that triggered. 'Cus he reached rank 5? Dunno).

So yeah, could use some more depth and character/atmosphere.

* Oh yeah and the map is indeed frickin' HUUUGE.

Valantine
09-05-13, 01:27 PM
Hum, I haven't touched Shogun 2 in a while so I cannot comment with regards to Rome 2 V most recent Shogun 2 Patch however:

For me Shogun 2 was much more playable for more people at release: I have not experienced it but there are quiet a few people having random crashes and graphics issues with Rome 2. The Battle AI in Rome2 is simply shockingly poor, be this because of the new battlefield flag system, bad programing, low amount of response routines or a combination of the above three.

Speaking of the new flag system: on a battlefield there is a magic capture flag circle: IF it is taken, which takes about 10 seconds once a unit moves to it, NO MATTER how many units you have on the battlefield still compared to the enemy, YOU LOSE INSTANTLY. As such you find yourself spending battles leaving half your force defending this magic point: or rushing for it if on the offensive. In city battles this creates the scenario where the AI will charge blindly en-masse towards it in a horde, if they come across your forces they WON'T tstop and engage, instead they will try to run through them to get to the magic flag; as such the city battles are real easy to defend against if you line your forces in the choke point the enemy are using to get to the flag: they won't back off and try another route, they will just keep on trying to push through! - In general - this is HORRIBLE game mechanic/feature - PERIOD.

Now, the general traits system in Shogun 2 was great, and it is present in Rome2 also: HOWEVER, with 1 turn per year and no way of seeing a general's age before you raise an army and select from the options you can find a general dead within 5 turns quite easily making there no point in trying to level them up: the army trait system though is quite cool and works in a similar fashion to general traits in Shogun: if the army is completely destroyed you can re-raise the army name complete with all of its traits by simply recreating it in one of your provinces as you woudl if raising a new army. The naval/admiarl system is the same,HOWEVER, it is compelte reduntant to bother with a navy at present. If you march an army into water is spawns magical boats that you can travel across the waves and even fight with! Once you march your army back onto land they disappear: march them into the sea again and BOOM magic boats again! -Personally it seems that this is to compensate for the poor campaign AI - which quite simply, cannot tell its arsehole from its elbow!

I love the TW series, loved Rome1 and want to love Rome 2: however it is in a desperate need of patches and fixes right now: if they don't fix it and quickly I can see this being the alst TW game I buy. Oh, and TW: EMPIRE was released in a better state and that is saying something!

Oh, and finally: where the **** did they put the family tree system / character system??? Right now my army is led by a chap I don;t even know or care about, when he inevitably dies in a few turns he will be replaced by another random chap, and so on and so fourth - I don't even really know who my faction leader is, nor does it make a difference whether he is the heroic and dashingly handsome Group Captain Sir the Lord Flashheart or Wee jock PooPong McPlop the chap who cleans the public toilets in Aberdeen!
V

Arclight
09-05-13, 01:34 PM
There's a button bottom center that opens the faction panel. You'll find all characters there.

As for the state of release; it hasn't crashed on me once, which puts it lightyears ahead of Empire. No obvious bugs encountered either.

* also have not encountered the flag-rushing AI. Might be a difficulty thing (just left it at normal for now. No bloody challenge tbh)

Dowly
09-05-13, 01:44 PM
Thanks.

Yeah, I heard about the new flags and that sucks big time. Already hated the flags
that gave bonuses to the side who controlled them in Shogun 2. :nope:

AngryJoe released two videos, showing the bad AI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpIENG0Y2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGFcUWzzO-8

Ah well, I'll wait for sales and get it then. :hmmm:

Valantine
09-05-13, 02:05 PM
There's a button bottom center that opens the faction panel. You'll find all characters there.

I know, but the information there / characters are completely irrelevant and have no influence on the gameplay. The rate of character death (and stupid traits that give negative aspects) is so high that its not worth learning their names: all they are are interchangeable pictures that come and go as the turns go by. Thereis no rhymn nor reason behind their appearance in the senate, sure the % influence has a little, but even with high influence for "your" family/faction the quantity of your family/faction members is sporadic at best.
Really feel they have dropped the ball on this aspect of the game.

Dowly: yep: those AJ videos are pretty spot on - although I've not seen boats float across land yet!
V

Takeda Shingen
09-05-13, 02:53 PM
Thanks.

Yeah, I heard about the new flags and that sucks big time. Already hated the flags
that gave bonuses to the side who controlled them in Shogun 2. :nope:

AngryJoe released two videos, showing the bad AI:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdpIENG0Y2k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGFcUWzzO-8

Ah well, I'll wait for sales and get it then. :hmmm:

I thought as much. Glad I didn't make this a day 1 buy. I'll wait awhile and pick this one up cheap.

Arclight
09-05-13, 03:00 PM
I know, but the information there / characters are completely irrelevant and have no influence on the gameplay. The rate of character death (and stupid traits that give negative aspects) is so high that its not worth learning their names: all they are are interchangeable pictures that come and go as the turns go by. Thereis no rhymn nor reason behind their appearance in the senate, sure the % influence has a little, but even with high influence for "your" family/faction the quantity of your family/faction members is sporadic at best.
Really feel they have dropped the ball on this aspect of the game.
Aye, pretty pointless. I've ignored the whole internal politics thing, don't care for it anyway, but I don't get the point either. Presumably this is supposed to matter in the end-game, where there's a civil war and such. (kinda like how entire Japan turns on you in Shogun)

And yes, the AI is rubbish as usual. Haven't had the magical flag issue, but I'm pretty sure I auto-resolved all the sally battles. Never worth the effort considering what they come to besiege with...

The few siege defenses I fought they came after my units though. Even at the point where my forces were broken, they were more interested in chasing them off the field then taking the plaza. Complete opposite experience for me there. :hmmm:

Valantine
09-05-13, 04:26 PM
Hum, by chance were these sieges with cities/towns that had walls? I've not yet had one of those but in the non-walled ones they charge for the magic flag, at least in all of my ones thus far.

I'm sure with patches and mods it will be up to scratch quickly enough: its just a shame that the overall feeling is a bit bland and almost "dumbed down" with the way it all plays out - at least it isn't as disappointing as Aliens: Colonial Marines!!!
V

Dowly
09-05-13, 04:35 PM
Aliens: Colonial Marines!!!
V

May it's name be forever cursed. :nope:

BTW, how many factions you can play as without the DLC?

Also, anyone know how moddable the game is? All I've heard is "not very". :hmmm:

Arclight
09-05-13, 04:48 PM
Rome, Carthage, Eastern Empires, Britannic tribes, Gallic tribes, Successor Kingdoms, Germanic tribes and DLC Greek States. They are gonna add 1 or 2 more for free (definitely 1, Seleucid iirc, other might be another paid DLC, don't recall).

Don't know about modding.

Valantine; nope, un-walled city. They had me outnumbered 2 to 1 from the start though, didn't stand a chance. The AI might go for the flag aggressively if it's an even fight, or in your favor. Like I said, I just auto-resolve the ones heavily in my favor, so that might explain it.

* just read a tool-tip with regard to roads: apparently they improve as prosperity goes up, increasing movement and improving agent detection (guard posts along roads I guess). That's acceptable, but still a prime example of streamlining. Don't hide, let us tinker. Still wouldn't say "dumbed down" but imho they took the streamlining a bit too far on this one.

Biggles
09-05-13, 06:50 PM
It's as any big game release nowadays....on releaseday the product is in shambles, but with time the pieces will be stuck together to create a nice little bundle :)

Will be interesting to see what expansions/DLC they will churn out in the future. Shogun 2 had two campaign add-ons, I know I'll be mighty disappointed if they don't add some campaigns focusing on the Emperor's timeframe. Always thought Roman history from Augustus and onwards to be the more interesting one.

Skybird
09-05-13, 07:13 PM
I will wait 6 or even 12 months before even considering this buy a second time. German sites have plenty of mediocre and bad feedback about many bugs, broken things, crashes, and an installation that takes up to three hours due to 15% of the content not being installed from DVD, but being downloaded. And after that, then the patch is downloaded next.

It's Steam, so usually that alone is a knockout criterion for me anyway, I had very bad experiences with Shogun 2, the thing is buggy and unfinished, the AI people are laughing about, and it is quite expensive.

Is there any argument to buy it for full price now? So far I've heard none. It seems they are great in repeating the same mistakes over and over and over again, carrying them over form one game to the next (AI).

Cybermat47
09-05-13, 11:32 PM
I grew up with Medieval Total War. Brilliant game. Unfortunately I sucked at taking care of discs :dead:

Dowly
09-06-13, 03:13 AM
Stupid, cheap Finnish stores... I could get the physical copy for 39€ or the digital copy for 41,50€. :hmm2:

Arclight
09-06-13, 04:53 AM
Would you still be able to enjoy it after all the negativity? Issues tend to kinda stick out like a sore thumb if you're really looking for/aware of them.

Dowly
09-06-13, 05:27 AM
Probably not. :hmmm:

Takeda Shingen
09-10-13, 12:23 AM
Angry Joe Rome II review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8

Dowly
09-10-13, 03:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUyws9R3h0U

:nope:

Dowly
09-11-13, 05:50 AM
Total War series going to consoles too?
http://www.creative-assembly.com/job/130705/optimisation-engineer

Our award winning Total War Digital team are looking to expand their group with an experienced and talented optimisation engineer, to work on our current and future digital offerings.
The successful candidate will perform a key role within a tight, well organised and capable group, and will work closely with all areas of the development team to ensure a high degree of quality is adhered to during the optimisation and porting process.

This is an excellent opportunity for a development professional to work in a fast paced, professional environment, and see their efforts in action across numerous platforms, appealing to a wide audience.

Key Responsibilities

Responsibility for porting and optimizing our games for specific platforms
Adapting our games and services to specific ecosystems
Provide estimates for these tasks

Essential

Excellent programming skills in C, C++, or C#
Experience with CPU and GPU profilers
Understanding of game engine architectures
Ability to work in a small team with a high degree of independence

Desirable

Relevant degree in Computer Science
Experience on current-gen consoles

:hmmm:

HunterICX
09-11-13, 06:07 AM
Angry Joe Rome II review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QK-lcW8a8

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2631251471_0535fe7dd7_o.jpg

That has to be the worst AI to date..even worse then ETW.
Would like to know what that Battle AI designer was smoking at the time of that interview.:nope:

HunterICX

soopaman2
09-11-13, 11:57 AM
BAI is kinda crap.

On the map is not so bad, Carthage is using its navy very nicely to harass undefended cities.

In battle? Meh.

The ai does not build large armies, they harass.

Diplomacy is crap, they always want way to much money, despite a mutual benifit.

Battle map blobbing. I actually watched my units do what looked like a circular riverdance near a wall.

No crap. It looked silly.

UI in battle map, is too damn big. The unit cards suck.

Not enough info when trying to look at your cities, older games told you why a city was not doing well, this just leaves you to guess.

I am still enjoying it, and having troubles with some strategy things, it seems the fansites are so clogged with complaint spam, that strategy discussions get buried.

I understand the gripes, but the game is playable for me, TWC is doing better than the official site, as TWC at least set up a strat forum, with 3 threads...

But the complaints, I swear people love to whine.

Arclight
09-11-13, 12:18 PM
It is getting a bit exaggerated.

Takeda Shingen
09-11-13, 12:47 PM
Well, at least you guy still have the zombie mod.

http://i.somethingawful.com/u/ctstalker/2013/totalwar.jpg

Oh, wait....

Arclight
09-11-13, 12:55 PM
Aye, that's definitely wonky. Wonder how they got those shots though, still haven't noticed it.

* Found the zoom button thingy. That's pretty creepy. xD

soopaman2
09-11-13, 06:07 PM
Well, at least you guy still have the zombie mod.

http://i.somethingawful.com/u/ctstalker/2013/totalwar.jpg

Oh, wait....

I would so enjoy those zombie faces dying if I had enough time to watch the battle animations.

But 4 minute battles catering to the call of duty crowd, seems to be the hallmark of this craptastic game.

A tribute to terd-tacular games.

I shoulda saved my money for f1-2013, next month.

Total war, coming to a console near you! Sellout punks.

Stealhead
09-11-13, 08:48 PM
A tribute to turd-tacular games.

Fixed that for you.

soopaman2
09-11-13, 09:23 PM
:DThank ya sir!

soopaman2
09-12-13, 01:50 PM
Well I got 2 legions pillaging Africa, 3 pushing north of the Alps, One mobile light for harrassing the Iberian peninsula...Awaiting the arrival from Tingi of.....

*dramatic music*

Legio III Martius!

3 gold chevrons on most units, 3 onagers, stacked with praetorians and veteran legionaires.

Near maxed general, he took Syracuse, Lilybaeum, Carthago, Iol, Tingi.

I am loving the persistent army feature.

Honestly for every 1 bad I find, I find 3 great things.

This can be fixed.

Ok praise over, Onagers are massively OP.

Arclight
09-12-13, 02:55 PM
And wardogs. And elephants. :haha:

I've had a few occasions where I'd turn loose 1 pack of dogs on a garrison force. By the time the last dog was killed the unit had over 800 kills. Not nearly as effective on anything with a bit of armor and melee skill, but still.

soopaman2
09-13-13, 08:35 AM
I am loving the persistent army feature, and the traditions system.

I lost an army in Iberia, 3 gold Chevrons on 90% of the units.

Wiped out, my own fault, I got too cocky.

It served a huge blow to me, considering I am fighting in Egypt, Gaul, and Greece..

I was forced to withdrawl all forces to Tingi and abandon my efforts on Iberia.

Ducimus
09-13-13, 10:42 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3175/2631251471_0535fe7dd7_o.jpg

That has to be the worst AI to date..even worse then ETW.
Would like to know what that Battle AI designer was smoking at the time of that interview.:nope:

HunterICX

After watching that review, i'm really disappointed and won't be buying it anytime soon. I'll wait for some 75% off steam sale in a year or three.

CaptainHaplo
09-13-13, 03:06 PM
I am in agreement - its going to wait till its on sale I believe.

A number of reviews really have me unhappy over this...

1 turn per year? You only get your general for about 40 years? What the heck!

No roman archers?

No family line?

3 agents that all do the same thing?

AI can be easily patched (though the barn / square dance clip was a hoot!)

Dowly
09-13-13, 03:27 PM
I got my RTW 1 + Europa Barbarorum mod
and Europa Universalis: Rome + Epigoni Mod

Both of which seem to do waaaay better than RTW2.

Really need to start my EU:R AAR, just to show how
a good Rome strategy is made...

soopaman2
09-14-13, 04:40 AM
I am in agreement - its going to wait till its on sale I believe.

A number of reviews really have me unhappy over this...

1 turn per year? You only get your general for about 40 years? What the heck!

No roman archers?

No family line?

3 agents that all do the same thing?

AI can be easily patched (though the barn / square dance clip was a hoot!)

Yeah the reviews are bad, and accurate in alot of cases.

1 turn per year, yeah, it is hard to max a general.

You get Syrian archers, but I think you have to hold Syria, taking Crete gets you Cretan archers, but only as mercs. Besides, velite type units are godly in this game, archers have less range than slingers, and are kinda mediochre compared to velites, Once you get onagers, there is no need for long range archers or slingers, not with the most op infantry in game. Your simple mid level legionarries are 30 attack higher than any other factions elite infantry. Plus all Roman infantry is heavy.

Romans don't need archers, and traditionally rarely used them.

Archers and cavalry in that time were usually auxillaries from other provinces, or mercenaries.

No family tree, half done government feature, Like a senate support stat that does nothing, I am with ya.

The agents are kinda lackluster, they all do the same thing, but some are better at things than others.

I say give it time, buy it during a summer sale after they patch it a bit, and the modders have time to get at it.

I kinda like it, I am having fun, just not as much fun as I could be.:salute:

CaptainHaplo
09-16-13, 10:57 PM
I say give it time, buy it during a summer sale after they patch it a bit, and the modders have time to get at it.

Good advice and definitely my plan

The original is still on my pc. I got Shogun2 on sale with a bunch of DLC's - but need to check out the mods for it before I play more. Definitely a turn per year mod is needed.

Skybird
09-17-13, 04:28 PM
Medieval 2 still on my HD.

soopaman2
09-19-13, 02:02 PM
I have to brag now.

I got Legio III Liberatrix, Legio IV Aludae, in ships and headed for Alexandria, I have 2 fleets protecting Cyrene and Lepcis, Legio V Hurculia is in bound to Cyrene,.My plan, Liberatrix has the large ballistas, and veteran legionarries.

Legio III, They take and hold Alexandria, they may have to fight off a stack or two, but they could.

Legio IV will invade Jerusalem, and simply hold it, effectively cutting a very strong Egypt in half.

Once Legio V takes Cyrene, I will move it into Memphis, freeing up the nasty Legio III to sweep city to city, with impunity.

ROMA VICTOR!

Arclight
09-25-13, 07:09 AM
Patch 3 is currently in beta (http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_3), and can be applied through the game’s Steam properties menu. A general release should come later this week. You can see the full changelist below.
http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/23/total-war-rome-2s-third-patch-launches-another-attack-on-performance-and-ai-issues/?ns_campaign=article-feed&ns_mchannel=ref&ns_source=steam&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Seems pretty significant. Also, some words: Battle and Unit teams - What we are working on (http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/94255-Battle-and-Unit-teams-What-we-are-working-on?)

Skybird
12-02-14, 12:28 PM
Got Rome 2 Empire Edition on Steam sale.

I will not comment on the 3D part, which looks nice for sure

But the strategy part gives me a headache. And the interface is so - visually non-intuitive and cluttered. I got a mod with coloured icons, which cured it a little bit, but still, the interface gives me the rage.

No manual, not even as PDF. The installation hints I do not count as a "manual".

However, I also got Shogun 2 on sales day, finally, daring to try it a second time (years ago, on release, I installed it for an older gentleman whose machine I was maintaining, and it gave me nothing but problems and issues, it was a nightmare, and it never worked). Now on my own account, it runs fine, and looks to be far more accessible. I could start to like it.

But Rome - what have they thought when doing that interface... :dead:

Nippelspanner
12-02-14, 02:24 PM
And the interface is so - visually non-intuitive and cluttered. I got a mod with coloured icons, which cured it a little bit, but still, the interface gives me the rage.
[...]
However, I also got Shogun 2 on sales day, finally, daring to try it a second time (years ago, on release, I installed it for an older gentleman whose machine I was maintaining, and it gave me nothing but problems and issues, it was a nightmare, and it never worked). Now on my own account, it runs fine, and looks to be far more accessible. I could start to like it.

But Rome - what have they thought when doing that interface... :dead:
Exactly my thoughts as well.
I tried Rome II via Steam family sharing from a friend and while it has some great new features (edicts, deeper spy/assassination options, armies build their own naval transports (less micro), ...) I felt "old" for not "understanding" the interface and simply thought that this is what kids need these days. I am 30!
Then, I went back to Shogun 2 and had a great MP Coop campaign with a buddy. Never crashed, worked well, and there are some great mods out there (DarthMod for example) to get every last bit out of the game, fleshing it out.

Rome II was so far unable to convince me. I want to to like it. I just can't at the moment.
And the stupid "twitch" button in the top left makes me super aggressive, cause it is the perfect example of what is wrong with it.

Skybird
12-02-14, 02:55 PM
Just quitting playing it - Rome - again, and it alienates me more with every hour spent. That interface is really wrecking my patience.

To just put in that encyclopedia instead of a properly done manual, also pisses me. I consider it to be a lame excuse only, not a better alternative.

They have overstretched the screws, I would say. Now you need a blueprint to just push a single button.

Think I will stick with Shogun, that IMMEDIATELY convinced me after even just ten minutes.

Nippelspanner
12-02-14, 04:12 PM
Yep, Shogun 2 has definitely the best immersion of all TW games, at least I felt sucked into feudal Japan the moment I started it the first time back in 2010.
It hasn't lost any of its charm or brilliance... if you ignore the Fall of the Samurai addon... they botched that one when it comes to authenticity and balance as well.
Rise of the Samurai has a nice charm as well, you might want to try it.

The next title, Atilla, will be 99% like Rome II (it can be considered the next Napoleon) so I have no hopes there when it comes to UI/GUI as well.
The series will probably cease soon anyways...

Skybird
12-02-14, 05:32 PM
I still have Medieval II installed. Somehow that one holds a special attraction, at least for me.

Threadfin
12-06-14, 10:42 AM
I still have Medieval II installed. Somehow that one holds a special attraction, at least for me.

Same here, with the Stainless Steel mod. Put many hours in to that game.

Through the years, the TW series lost some of it's appeal for me. I began feeling that the TW games were good games, but a bit light in the non-combat areas, such as diplomacy, politics, economy, espionage, religion etc. And even the tactical layer began to lose it's luster, as I found I fought every battle essentially the same way. Deploy infantry in the middle, with cavalry on the flanks. Engage the line and smash the cavalry in to the rear of the enemy formation. Repeat until all are dead or have fled.

So I started looking for an alternative. I tried some of the Paradox games, with Crusader Kings 2 a standout. Really love that game, and then I bought Europa Universalis IV. EU IV is now my favorite grand strategy game, eclipsing TW:M2. Aside from the combat, which is essentially an abstraction -- there is no tactical combat layer -- I find EU IV better in most every way. Subjective of course, but EU IV is a fantastic game that seems to fly under the mainstream radar with TW seemingly much more popular.

Skybird
12-06-14, 01:36 PM
Total War certainly is a festival for the eyes. Even Rome 2, although they really messed up how units collide in their new engine that they started some titles after Rome 1. Looks are good, really. But they also lead the way to the audience they are target. And that is not really strategy and tactics players. Regarding field battle tactics, the title that felt best for me, was the second, the one that came after the original Shogun: Medieval 1.

When I want serious battlefield tactics, I chose something from the likes of Matrix Games or Shrapnel Games. On tactics, Conquest of the Aegean for example smokes Total War in a pipe. A very small pipe. Or Combat Mission: Shock Force. Had weaknesses, but still miles ahead. Total War has been defused tremendously by its makers. Big mistake. They should have increased the AI in quality instead of drying it. But doing a good AI probably is more work than doing eye candy, so...

I installed Darthmod for Shogun 2, and some Radious thing for Rome 2, since Darthmod is not available for Rome. But I certainly have bought my last Total War games by now. I folded already over several of the older titles.

In the end, compared to chess, all these PC "strategy" games are a lame joke only anyway. :yeah: :D

Moonlight
12-06-14, 04:55 PM
I signed back into twcenter.net the other day after a three year hiatus and to my astonishment I found two Rome mods available on the medieval 2 engine, it brought back memories of the original Rome so I downloaded both of them.

Any way the two mods are De Bello Mundi and Europa Barbarorum II, they're not completely done yet as they are an ongoing work in progress. The campaign I had going with DBM finally convinced me not to buy Rome2 or even the upcoming Attila, thats what you get CA and Sega for screwing up one of my all time favourite games.:hmph:

Nippelspanner
12-06-14, 09:53 PM
EBII is done since a few days now...

Dowly
01-21-15, 12:53 PM
Very good two part look on why Rome II failed (length ~1h40min)
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXkWfEIALxM
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA

Follow up, Rome 2, 1 year on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy5GRaHzFnI

(Contains some swearing)