PDA

View Full Version : US warships in Pacific relocation

Jimbuna
06-02-12, 05:38 AM
I wonder how China will view this...not very positively I suspect :hmmm:

The US is planning to move the majority of its warships to the Asia-Pacific region by 2020, Defence Secretary Leon Panetta has revealed.
He said that by 2020 about 60% of the US fleet would be deployed there, in the clearest indication yet of the new US strategy in Asia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18305750

joegrundman
06-02-12, 06:18 AM
by 2020 is in 8 years. if they wanted to they could shift "the majority" of their surface assets in a few months.

so, this is a posture, and this posture is dependent on there being no more major demands in the mediterranear/persian gulf region by that time, which could be the case if Iran is dealt with sooner rather than later. But in any case the intended recipients of this posture-message are those asia-pacific nations who currently are having to deal with the rising china, as well as china itself, and is mainly part of a concerted diplomatic strategy of persuading all those nations who feel china's influence keenest (vietnam, phillipines, japan, s.korea, burma(!!), indonesia, taiwan..australia even!) that the US is coming over real soon, and that it is too soon to be revising your international relationships in a pro-china manner.

Jimbuna
06-02-12, 06:34 AM
^ A fair and accurate assessment imo but it will be interesting to see how the Chinese react...not with an arms race one would hope.

Tribesman
06-02-12, 06:57 AM
not with an arms race one would hope
How about a boat race?

Skybird
06-02-12, 07:01 AM
^ A fair and accurate assessment imo but it will be interesting to see how the Chinese react...not with an arms race one would hope.
The "arms race" they run already since a couple of years. ;) They modernise their forces and create additional builts with quite some priority.

Jimbuna
06-02-12, 07:43 AM
How about a boat race?

So that's why there are so many dragon boats currently on the Thames.

Ducimus
06-02-12, 08:26 AM
by 2020 is in 8 years. if they wanted to they could shift "the majority" of their surface assets in a few months.

so, this is a posture, and this posture is dependent on there being no more major demands in the mediterranear/persian gulf region by that time, which could be the case if Iran is dealt with sooner rather than later. But in any case the intended recipients of this posture-message are those asia-pacific nations who currently are having to deal with the rising china, as well as china itself, and is mainly part of a concerted diplomatic strategy of persuading all those nations who feel china's influence keenest (vietnam, phillipines, japan, s.korea, burma(!!), indonesia, taiwan..australia even!) that the US is coming over real soon, and that it is too soon to be revising your international relationships in a pro-china manner.

Interesting assessment. I wonder how economics will come into play. The majority of the goods available for purchase in the US are made in China. :shifty:

Jimbuna
06-02-12, 10:57 AM
Interesting assessment. I wonder how economics will come into play. The majority of the goods available for purchase in the US are made in China. :shifty:

Time to buy some of their naval assets perhaps :03:

kraznyi_oktjabr
06-02-12, 11:42 AM
Time to buy some of their naval assets perhaps :03:Bureuacrat: Yes, YES! FINALLY! Sir! We found buyer for Type 051s. Admiral Jimbuna from the Royal Navy wants them.http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Luda-III_Zhuhai_DN-SD-01-05827.jpg

Admiral: Excellent! Inform shipyards to expect new contracts. We got money for modernization... ...and also...
Bureaucrat: Yes, sir?
Admiral: ...ask my dear colleague if we wants Type 052s as well?

TLAM Strike
06-02-12, 11:58 AM
Time to buy some of their naval assets perhaps :03:
I hear they are a great bargain...
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2064/132555987521209.jpg

em2nought
06-02-12, 12:27 PM
Hopefully, we'll group all of our ships together in one big pacific harbor. :hmmm:

JU_88
06-02-12, 02:20 PM
Thes Chinese wont like it, but i think what happens to Global economy will determine the real future of U.S - Chinese relations.
Who still belives we are in a recovery? :woot:

Jimbuna
06-02-12, 02:29 PM
I hear they are a great bargain...
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/2064/132555987521209.jpg

LOL :DL

Thes Chinese wont like it, but i think what happens to Global economy will determine the real future of U.S - Chinese relations.
Who still belives we are in a recovery? :woot:

Not me.