PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MaGui Final version

KPaxian
05-28-12, 01:52 PM
Hey guys, I love the MaGui mod but recently I noticed something strange. I am using the Final version and whenever I use auto TDC aiming the gyro angle is different from the bearing on the scope. At 0 they are equal, but when the scope points at 200, it shows a gyro angle 180 or so.. Really awkward, anyone had this kind of problem?

Magic1111
05-28-12, 03:15 PM
I donīt have an answer for you, but please post your question in this Thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166320&page=38

Best regards,
Magic

benitorios
05-29-12, 12:06 AM
Hey guys, I love the MaGui mod but recently I noticed something strange. I am using the Final version and whenever I use auto TDC aiming the gyro angle is different from the bearing on the scope. At 0 they are equal, but when the scope points at 200, it shows a gyro angle 180 or so.. Really awkward, anyone had this kind of problem?

Hi KPaxian,

I too am using MaGui Final. For the problem you describe, either you have a mod soup issue, causing the TDC malfunction - in which case you need to disable all mods that you've enabled after MaGui, disable MaGui, then re-enable them all but with MaGui coming last, followed by the MaGui optionals - or this may be a side effect of your TDC settings:

In other words, if your TDC has been set with a certain target speed and AOB, it's actually normal that the bearing and gyro differ, since the TDC calculates the lead for your torpedo path. One quick way to check if your TDC works correctly: turn on manual override (the lamp goes red), set target speed to 0 and AOB to 0, then turn manual override back off. Now, the gyro and bearing should match - it's like shooting at a stationary target, so no lead is needed. If they don't match, try the solution above, or check the thread referred to by Magic1111, where more MaGui users can help you out.

Cheers,

benitorios

KPaxian
05-29-12, 04:47 AM
Hi KPaxian,

I too am using MaGui Final. For the problem you describe, either you have a mod soup issue, causing the TDC malfunction - in which case you need to disable all mods that you've enabled after MaGui, disable MaGui, then re-enable them all but with MaGui coming last, followed by the MaGui optionals - or this may be a side effect of your TDC settings:

In other words, if your TDC has been set with a certain target speed and AOB, it's actually normal that the bearing and gyro differ, since the TDC calculates the lead for your torpedo path. One quick way to check if your TDC works correctly: turn on manual override (the lamp goes red), set target speed to 0 and AOB to 0, then turn manual override back off. Now, the gyro and bearing should match - it's like shooting at a stationary target, so no lead is needed. If they don't match, try the solution above, or check the thread referred to by Magic1111, where more MaGui users can help you out.

Cheers,

benitorios

Thanks for the quick reply, the MaGui was last in the mods list, so I guess it is the other issue. Thanks guys, and have a nice day :salute:

KPaxian
05-29-12, 07:48 AM
Woah, now I've noticed that it's like that in the vanilla game even when all the TDC controlls are at 0. Strange, I've never noticed it before, I am ashamed of myself... So then should I use the periscope bearing or the gyro reading on the right side when shooting?

runio
05-29-12, 08:20 AM
Switch to TDC (F6), set it to manual, set the speed and AOB to zero. Set the bearing to 70 deg. Then change range to target - you will see that gyro will be changed too. Why? You will get the answer observing green line - torpedo trajectory.

benitorios
05-29-12, 08:51 AM
Woah, now I've noticed that it's like that in the vanilla game even when all the TDC controlls are at 0. Strange, I've never noticed it before, I am ashamed of myself... So then should I use the periscope bearing or the gyro reading on the right side when shooting?

Well the gyro is what matters most, since it's the direction in which the torpedo will leave the tube. Many here will say that you need to try and shoot with a gyro as close to zero as possible - this makes the possible inaccuracies in range matter less. With that in mind, it may often make sense to wait until a target gets close to a bearing in which the gyro will be zero, rather than to shoot when the scope bearing is zero (and the gyro is likely something else)

If you play around a bit, you'll notice that the difference in angle between the gyro and the scope bearing mostly depends on target speed and AOB - actually a combination of the two. There are lots of extremely insightful threads on the forum discussing these things. The documentation and tutorials that came with the MaGui mod are also extremely helpful.

Last piece of advice: launch the torpedo academy and spend some time playing with the TDC. See if you can anticipate what its gyro calculation becomes when you play with speed, range and AOB... I've learned a lot that way ;-) As runio said, also look at the TDC screen to see the plotted torpedo path.

KPaxian
05-29-12, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, yes I've spent some time examining the TDC trajectories and how they depend on speed and range of target. I feel really dumb :zzz:

Pisces
06-13-12, 04:18 PM
This image on hnsa.org explains why the 2 indicators are different:
http://www.hnsa.org/doc/attack/img/pg01-08a.jpg

1. The torpedo tubes are some distance away from the scope
2. The torpedo moves a straight section ahead as it leaves the tube.
3. The torpedo turns a section of a circle to reach it's final course (=uboat course+ gyroangle)

Al the above means that the torpedo needs to turn a bit further than where the periscope looks to the impact bearing. This effect is more pronounced when the target is near. Perfectly normal behavoir, no bugs at all.