PDA

View Full Version : Fired on by Neutral Armed Trawler Aug 1939

RustySubmarine
05-23-12, 08:21 AM
After leaving Kiel to my assigned patrol (Grid BF18) surface running at dusk, I was fired upon by a neutral armed trawler as I was agout 10 miles from the Dutch coast and approx 50 miles from the French border. It happened to be a Dutch armed trawler, who at this time had not be invaded by Germany (all Dutch ports showing green on the map) So I decided to return fire using my deck gun, but had to dive eventually as I was reciving heavy damage to the forward deck area, with two of my deck gun crew wounded. I managed to avoid the trawler after about half an hour and continued through the Channel to my patrol grid.

Question: (1) Why was I attacked by a neutral ship, which at this period in time was not at war with Germany.
(2) Was I right to return fire and had I pursued to sink it, would I have been correct in doing so and would I have gained any renown points for doing so.

bigboywooly
05-23-12, 08:59 AM
Was that the first vessel you had come across or have you already sunk a ship - neutral ship am guessing ?

RustySubmarine
05-23-12, 09:14 AM
First neutral ship I encountered about two hours previosly, was a Dutch Tug at anchor. I passed by it about 1 mile to my port side without even attacking it, then later came across the Dutch Armed Trawler in question.

Had I attacked the Tug, I can see that it would have been justified for the Armed Trawler to fire on me, but up to this point. I had only passed or come into contact with neutral or friendly ships since leaving the Keil Canal.

GT182
05-23-12, 09:57 AM
If fired upon by a Neutral... fire back and destroy it. I've done this in other campaigns with no loss of Renoun. But that was the vanilla SH3 and I was fired upon first. Not sure how an expansion would work.... I haven't run across a neutral ship yet in this fresh GWX 3.0 campaign.

Remember... Just when you think you know the game rules, something will come along and change it without you ever knowing it. ;)

Red October1984
05-23-12, 08:34 PM
Oh. That's bad. That's the game telling you that you suck. :D
I accidently sank a couple neutral ships in 1939. Had -500 renown for a good 3 patrols out of 9. Now, I try and stick to harbor raiding. Putter right into Dover or St. Naizaire.