PDA

View Full Version : SH3 Resolution Fix under Linux/Wine

Paco
05-23-12, 05:22 AM
Hi,

I'm running SH3 under Linux and Wine. So I cannot execute the batch-file in the wine-bottle, something is wrong with the sdbinst.exe? :down:.

Is there another way to fix the resolution on a Linux-System?

Thanks,
Paco.

a.g.
11-08-15, 04:23 AM
Just posting here in case anyone is interested, since I got things working under wine:

The resolution fix actually works on wine without running any of that sdb stuff (in case of the dx9res10.7z version anyway). However, at least in windowed mode, it won't change the window size, so you have to configure your window manager to override it. With kwin in KDE it's rather easy to do through its options dialogs.
This small patch to the game's Kernel.dll can be used to enable hardware antialiasing, seeing as nvidia driver options don't work for wine. Note that it's quite possible that this patch only works correctly for wine, not native windows DirectX.
00010CB0: 85 -> 04
00010CB1: C0 -> 04
0001A8AB: 85 -> 31

To use h.sie patches you have to switch msvcr71.dll to native in winecfg, or your diesels will instantly explode after loading the mission.

sublynx
07-12-16, 11:40 AM
Sounds really great, but does anybody with Linux knowhow describe how to actually do this? I'm not a Linux whizzkid, I just have changed into Linux because my old computer can't keep up with the Windows 7/10 kind of load anymore. I did get SH3 working in 1024x768 size but would like to make it widescreen.

BarracudaUAK
07-18-16, 03:23 AM
Sublynx,

Are you refering to,

running the batch file?

Adjusting the window manager?

or hex editing the .dll?

Just a few things I can think of:

https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

Sometimes a bit out of date, but most of it is accurate and up to date.
They release a new wine every 2 weeks, so I doubt the documentation is always on point.

Although I believe A.G Mentioned you can use the widescreen mod by running full screen, WITHOUT the program/patch.
It might need a window component installed in a new or existing 'prefix'.

If it's called through a .bat file, a quick google search found this:

http://www.linux.org/threads/running-windows-batch-files-on-linux.7610/

Gives a rundown on what to do, and how to do it.

Apologies if I covered anything you already knew, (what little I covered) but figured I would start with the basics and go from there.

It's currently the wee hours of the morning, so this is probably a bunch of jibberish...
But if you want me to clarify any part of this, let me know and I will try to go into more detail.

Barracuda

p.s. Oops, just noticed his comment about setting the .dll to native, you can do that though wine configuration, should be in your launcher (i.e. "start menu") under the "Wine" menu.
then select the "Libraries" tab, select the .dll from the drop down list "new override for library:" then add, then select the .dll in the list, and choose edit.
Then select which option you want...

sublynx
07-18-16, 08:20 AM
Thanks a million for the links and interest on this :salute:

I'll try to follow the instructions in the links and see if I can get it working.

sublynx
07-18-16, 10:49 AM
At first no success:
1. changing the dll didn't do anything
2. the batch file can be run with the instructions, but complains that it can't find the file sbdinst.exe
3. The game runs at 1366x768, but stretched. Maybe that means that Wine forces the screen to 1366x768, but SH3 still runs at 1024x768. I guess that for some reason I can't get the widescreen d3d9 files to be selected.

Then I copied everything from a previous Windows installed backup copy and then it did run at 1366x768 but so slow that it was unplayable. So thanks for the help, it did run at 1366, but unfortunately my legacy ATI is not compatible with Linux and I seem to run out of graphical memory. If I had a computer with NVIDIA card it would probably have worked.

I'll have to get back at the game if I someday get a computer with NVIDIA or if AMD releases a legacy Linux driver for my card. Perhaps unlikely, but I remember reading somewhere that they are actually doing that.

BarracudaUAK
07-18-16, 01:04 PM
Which ATI card do you have?
Which Distro are you running? (Fedora, Ubuntu, Arch?)

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/linux

SHORT VERSION:

Older cards are usually supported "out of the box" on linux.

But high end options like SLI and Crossfire aren't.
You would need the ATI/AMD Catalyst/Crimson driver. Called FGLRX in linux. "Fire GL & Radeon for Linux".

The newest is Crimson 15.12, AMD is working on a new driver setup.
(But they aren't updating Crimson anymore, see next sentence.)

AMDGPU which is the new open-source kernel side driver, which lets the proprietary AMDGPU-PRO run 'on-top' of and 'plug-in' to the kernel side.
(So kernel updates won't "break" the driver.)
amdgpu handles all the base stuff, would only need PRO (still beta) if running Crossfire, etc.
It will eventually (the're still coding this) work for, R7 300 series, and R9 200, and RX 400 series and newer. No pre-GCN cards on this one. (but hey, day 1 driver support for linux.)

I'm running 2 PCs with Fedora 23... well, The AMD 5600x2 has an 40GB IDE with Fedora 20, and Catalyst 15.4 (I think), and a SATA with Fedora 23 with Crimson 15.12 (catalyst rebadge in linux).
This machine runs dual 6750s in crossfire... but the driver works with older cards too.
Check the readme with the drivers.

My FX8350 is running dual R7 370s in crossfire on Fedora 23 with Crimson 15.12 also.

I Know that these are much newer, but newer hardware is usually what doesn't have driver support. Older hardware is more often supported.

Let me see if I can find the page that has what all the open source Radeon driver covers.

Barracuda

Almost forgot, There is a setting in the Catalyst/Crimson driver, where you can set to "maintain aspect ratio" or "scale image to full screen".
if you can tell me which Distribution your are running we can nail down where it is in the settings, or how to get FGLRX installed on it and get you back in the game!

sublynx
07-18-16, 02:56 PM
I really appreciate the effort, but I have an ancient Ati Mobility Radeon HD 4530, which I understand has never been supported that well. I doubt there are many users left anymore :dead:

BarracudaUAK
07-18-16, 10:54 PM
I saw your post earlier, but I was at lunch, and typing on my phone is a tedious chore...

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Ubuntu specific, but it does go list the chipsets/GPUs that are covered by the open source driver.

However, checking the X.org page for the Radeon driver, (the open source driver),

https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/

if you look at the chipset listing for the 4000/5000 series (the first link) they are a RV700 series, aka the R700 series, if you check the 2nd link, you can see the state of the driver for the R700... (scroll down to the table, and find R600/700 across the top.)

If you installed any of the more recent linux distros, you already have the driver.
ATI/AMD are focusing on the newer hardware, but the open source guys aren't, they are working on the older hardware.

Unsure about the quality/accuracy/rep of the source, but this link goes over the Mobility 4530 a bit in depth, i.e. what to expect.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4530.13972.0.html

Only thing I would point out, is dispite Linus Torvalds (spelling?) aim at making linux a PC OS, it runs on EVERYTHING, so it has taken 'root' in buisness areas, and hardware.
Gaming on linux is not new, but is just starting to gain steam over the last few years.
The Hardware can most likely handle it, but the drivers are what is needed to get there.

(I had an HD4850 in that 5600x2 I mentioned in a previous post, it ran Crysis max res/settings, and did it at 70fps (WinXP). BUT it was driver dependent, updating didn't always help, had a few times I went back to the old driver... In Linux MOST of the time, it's a step up. Very few times have I had to downgrade...)

And I've found several Mobility 4X00 users requesting help with setting up the video, there's more out there then you think.:up:

If you decide you want to give it another go... I'm game to try and see if we can find the answers.

Barracuda

sublynx
07-19-16, 09:41 AM
I'll take a look at the links you posted and see if I can get the card working any better.

I use Linux Mint Mate Rosa. It's pretty new and works mostly just fine. If only the graphics driver for my card was better SH3 would probably work better in Linux as the operating system is very light weight compared to Windows. I'm surprised how well a modern Linux is able to run Windows-based programs.

sublynx
07-19-16, 11:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/t2qFQVp.jpg

I ran glmark2 on the thing and got this result and an overall glmark2 score of 332. To me this looks that the driver made by Linux aficionados is working, but not as a good as GL renderer made by ATI would?

BarracudaUAK
07-19-16, 10:34 PM
Sorry, I have been out all day, but I did see your post ealier...

I looked up Gallium and refreshed my memory on it....

then I got glmark2 installed, and I ran it to see how FGLRX performed, so I can compare and see where the bottleneck might be for your system...

I got a score of 60...

================================================== =====
glmark2 2014.03
OpenGL Information
GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon R7 370 Series
GL_VERSION: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.302
[build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[build] use-vbo=true: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[texture] texture-filter=nearest: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[texture] texture-filter=linear: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[texture] texture-filter=mipmap: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[shading] shading=gouraud: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[shading] shading=blinn-phong-inf: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[shading] shading=phong: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[shading] shading=cel: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[bump] bump-render=high-poly: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[bump] bump-render=normals: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[bump] bump-render=height: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[effect2d] kernel=0,1,0;1,-4,1;0,1,0;: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[effect2d] kernel=1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[pulsar] light=false:quads=5:texture=false: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[desktop] blur-radius=5:effect=blur:passes=1:separable=true:windo ws=4: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[desktop] effect=shadow:windows=4: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=subdata: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=true:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[ideas] speed=duration: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[terrain] <default>: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[shadow] <default>: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[refract] <default>: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[function] fragment-complexity=low:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[function] fragment-complexity=medium:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[loop] fragment-loop=false:fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=false:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=true:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 60 FrameTime: 16.667 ms
glmark2 Score: 60

Congradulations...

Your 4530 has smoked dual R7 370s in crossfire... :har: :rotfl2: :nope:
I think I've got Vsync on, so I'm limited to 60....:yep:

HOWEVER!
Looking over your results should give us an idea where either the card or driver needs work, so we can adjust those settings for SH3...

the only time you drop below 300fps are after the [effect2d] kernel=1,1,1,...... line, and that one is 252.

Stays above 100 until terrain, which is 46fps, which is plenty playable for something like SH3.

It might not be your drivers, it might be Wine, can you tell me what version of Wine you are running?

I need to reinstall SH3, as I wiped my system about a month ago to add a few HDD to the RAID. So I haven't checked the last few versions.
Which I'm going to do now.

If we are running the same wine version, then I'll play with some settings on this end and google to see what might help.

Fedora is usually a ver or 2 behind what is on the WineHQ page, Ubuntu runs a bit farther behind than that. (usually sticking to "stable" 1.6, 1.8, Fedora is "staging" 1.7, now 1.9.xx)
I'm not sure how Mint handles it, but it is a "fork" of Ubuntu...

I've had it work perfectly, then update to the next version, and something be amiss, like 1.7.40, or 1.7.41, I had flat black water..., I updated a few weeks later, and back to normal and working perfectly...

I'll get to digging...
Barracuda

sublynx
07-20-16, 12:22 AM
I seem to have an incredibly potent legacy card :D Maybe that is why I can fry eggs on my laptop...

BarracudaUAK
07-20-16, 01:13 PM
I typed the entire post then had the thought...
If YOU want to keep at this, then I'll keep working too. These post don't look like much in the box, but when I preview them, they look huge.
Don't want to appear to be "pushing" you to work on something you are tired of working on. But happy to help, I have several games that didn't, and some that still are not working, and I try what solutions I can. So simply trying to assist in the same way.
So ideas and possible paths below...

-----

Did some digging on the heat issue, seems to be a common thing with Linux on laptops.
But, I ran across several ways to fix it.

Gives a few suggestions on the temp side of things:

https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/

Also read on a forum post somewhere, I closed the tab, as I type this I have 24 tabs open, 4 of which are google, 1 is subsim...
Someone with a HD 4530 installed the AMD drivers and it runs much cooler now.

As far as that and getting a bit more :ahoy:out of your card...

Also dug up a bit more info on Mint 17.3 Rosa, it comes with, unless you updated it, the kernel and Xorg (the graphics/GUI server for linux) versions required to install the ATI drivers.

Mint is based on Ubuntu, so what works in one has the potential (but not always) to work for the other.

The latest driver doesn't support the older cards, but I'm checking the readme files with the previous drivers to see which is the newest to still support your card.

You can usually look in the update program to see what you have installed.
OR you can use the command line, I prefer the CL, but the graphical works to...

Can you tell me what versions of:

xorg-x11-server-Xorg
xorg-x11-server-common

that you have. (needs to be 1.17 or older, Mint Rosa ships 1.17.)
And also which kernel version, terminal command should be:
uname -r

'uname' and it should say 'Linux'
'uname -r' and it will tell you the kernel version.

This will let me nail down which driver will work for you IF you want to try the AMD driver.

I'm not saying that you will have to do all this, but Fedora 23 shipped 1.18, I had to downgrade to F22's Xorg 1.17, and then patch the driver install file for each kernel upgrade, then install.... it can be in depth, but that's mainly because linux is moving faster than AMD is.
Just a heads-up

Barracuda

sublynx
07-21-16, 02:19 PM
Kernel:

3.19.0-32-generic

Xorg:
sudo Xorg -version 2>&1 | awk '/X.Org X Server/ {print $NF}'

I'm a bit hard pressed on time, but I do appreciate your helping me out here :salute:

Switching to an older version might help. I wasn't ready to try that by myself, but with your advice I'm ready to give it a go :arrgh!:

BarracudaUAK
07-21-16, 04:05 PM
___EDIT: Before you read through all this, which laptop/notebook do you have?___

Ok, I grabbed everything back to the legacy 13.1 drivers from AMD's website.

--EDIT: I'm also looking for ways to boost the performance of Gallium 0.4 as well.--

The Catalyst 15.x versions just had the .run file, so I couldn't get any info from them. Google wasn't super helpful.

The Crimson 15.11/fglrx 15.30.1025 driver readme, under the FAQ, quoted in part:

'Which AMD graphics cards can use this driver?The AMD Proprietary Linux driver currently supports RADEON 8500 and later, as well as FireGL 8700 and later products.'

I have a Radeon 8500, put it in a 1.4 ghz socket A athlon in 2001/2002. If this one really covers that far back, then it SHOULD work with an HD 4000 series. But I'm not holding my breath.

I did find a "HD 8500", so I'm not sure to which they are refering to. AMD usually provides the entire name of the card they are refering to, If they meant a HD series, then they say "HD" before the #.

I have a HD4850, but the fan is out, it would shut off before I could get it to the point to install the driver. If it worked I would just use my dual core as a test to see.
If I don't run across any reliable info, I may try it anyway.

As far as the 'Catalyst' series of drivers, I'm not sure.
Worst case scenario, mine always just aborts when it either doesn't see a supported card, or doesn't have the required packages installed.
Might just have to try running the installer for one of them.

I don't think you will need to downgrade either the kernel or Xorg if we can get one of the newer catalyst drivers to work (i.e. 15.x).

UPDATE: A page on a site that someone has info posted on Catalyst drivers, and Fedora.
He mentions that Catalyst 15.5/fglrx 15.101 supports Xorg 1.17, so now I just have to see which card this version actually works with.

Barracuda

p.s. lots of, digging then typing, then digging and more typing... I try to proof read it each time, but if anything seems odd in the post, or looks like it should be 2 different post, that's why.
I'm typing and I forget, so I'll double check, or I'm typing and I don't know, so I double check. Then it's a big mess, so I clean it up, and I forgot what I was trying to say so I go back and double check, again!

BarracudaUAK
07-21-16, 06:46 PM
After thinking about this a bit more, I may be heading the wrong direction.

I found my Vsync settings, turned Vsync OFF and ran glmark 2 again.

glmark2 2014.03
OpenGL Information
GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
GL_RENDERER: AMD Radeon R7 370 Series
GL_VERSION: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.302
[build] use-vbo=false: FPS: 2625 FrameTime: 0.381 ms
[build] use-vbo=true: FPS: 5155 FrameTime: 0.194 ms
[texture] texture-filter=nearest: FPS: 4879 FrameTime: 0.205 ms
[texture] texture-filter=linear: FPS: 5285 FrameTime: 0.189 ms
[texture] texture-filter=mipmap: FPS: 5329 FrameTime: 0.188 ms
[shading] shading=gouraud: FPS: 5397 FrameTime: 0.185 ms
[shading] shading=blinn-phong-inf: FPS: 5445 FrameTime: 0.184 ms
[shading] shading=phong: FPS: 5390 FrameTime: 0.186 ms
[shading] shading=cel: FPS: 5420 FrameTime: 0.185 ms
[bump] bump-render=high-poly: FPS: 4058 FrameTime: 0.246 ms
[bump] bump-render=normals: FPS: 5177 FrameTime: 0.193 ms
[bump] bump-render=height: FPS: 5382 FrameTime: 0.186 ms
[effect2d] kernel=0,1,0;1,-4,1;0,1,0;: FPS: 4577 FrameTime: 0.218 ms
[effect2d] kernel=1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;1,1,1,1,1;: FPS: 3219 FrameTime: 0.311 ms
[pulsar] light=false:quads=5:texture=false: FPS: 5023 FrameTime: 0.199 ms
[desktop] blur-radius=5:effect=blur:passes=1:separable=true:windo ws=4: FPS: 1130 FrameTime: 0.885 ms
[desktop] effect=shadow:windows=4: FPS: 1320 FrameTime: 0.758 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 740 FrameTime: 1.351 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=false:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=subdata: FPS: 1141 FrameTime: 0.876 ms
[buffer] columns=200:interleave=true:update-dispersion=0.9:update-fraction=0.5:update-method=map: FPS: 929 FrameTime: 1.076 ms
[ideas] speed=duration: FPS: 2124 FrameTime: 0.471 ms
[jellyfish] <default>: FPS: 4430 FrameTime: 0.226 ms
[terrain] <default>: FPS: 459 FrameTime: 2.179 ms
[shadow] <default>: FPS: 2424 FrameTime: 0.413 ms
[refract] <default>: FPS: 1202 FrameTime: 0.832 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 5237 FrameTime: 0.191 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=0: FPS: 5409 FrameTime: 0.185 ms
[conditionals] fragment-steps=0:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5464 FrameTime: 0.183 ms
[function] fragment-complexity=low:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 5414 FrameTime: 0.185 ms
[function] fragment-complexity=medium:fragment-steps=5: FPS: 5449 FrameTime: 0.184 ms
[loop] fragment-loop=false:fragment-steps=5:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5390 FrameTime: 0.186 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=false:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5337 FrameTime: 0.187 ms
[loop] fragment-steps=5:fragment-uniform=true:vertex-steps=5: FPS: 5362 FrameTime: 0.186 ms
glmark2 Score: 3979

MUCH higher score...

So I started Half-Life 2: Episode 2, (Half-life 2 was 2004-ish, and Episode 2 about 2007/8, but much more demanding than SH3, to make up the difference of my newer cards) and checked the way the opening scene worked on a new game, first without, then with vsync.

WITHOUT: Fps between 200-299, usually stuck at 299 (it won't go higher). Some "tearing", and stuttering when a new effect (water, flashlight) was loaded the first time.
But it was a bit 'jittery'. Mouse response was extremely crisp, when it wasn't jittery.

WITH: FPS 59/60. No tearing, barely any stutter on effect load (water, flashlight).
EXTREMELY smooth, mouse "felt" a bit "heavy" or slow. But (mouse) reaction was very good and smooth.

I got similar results from SH3. ( I just don't have a FPS counter that I can use in game, yes I know there is one, but that key combo is reserved by linux for something else.)

Makes me think, if you turned on vsync (if it's possible, I'm looking), it might play smoother as the video card has more time to process for each frame.
Might give it the 'boost' it needs.
In the sense that it can work 'better' by working 'slower'. We lower the load by reducing the fps we demand from it.

At this point I'm looking for the simple, short, minimum work answer.
With the least risk to your currently funtional OS.

Barracuda

sublynx
07-22-16, 11:22 AM
Hey wow, that's a really novel way looking at it :) The VSync idea sounds really promising!

My laptop is Acer Aspire 5536.

sublynx
07-22-16, 12:36 PM
I think I managed to do something to that VSync with Compiz Config Manager and it seemed Mount&Blade was running faster. I'm now reinstalling SH3 in case we actually will be able to get it running.

BarracudaUAK
07-22-16, 01:13 PM
sublynx,

not much time to look at this right now (work day), but I think I may have found something.

Searching for laptop model: just info, and ads. So I tried 'acer....linux video card driver', and got a lot of results on other's problems with screen tearing.

Got all the way to the bottom, and noticed the google links for similar searches...

"linux mint 17.3 screen tearing"

Led me to a reddit forum post requesting help, 2nd to last post had this link,

http://blog.joemccall.xyz/tear-free-video-for-radeon-driver-in-linux/

a blog, shows what needs to be changed to turn on "tear free" mode.
Which I believe is the 'Vsync' setting.

He links to the arch wiki in the blog post, useful info related to the X config files.
(I looked for a Mint wiki, but didn't find one, may have to use the ubuntu wiki for more info specific to Mint.)

I looked on my system for the file, But I don't have the open radeon driver installed.
So not having the file isn't a suprise.

You might take a look at the file mentioned in the first link and see what options are turned on.
Maybe it can be 'tweaked'.

Barracuda

sublynx
07-22-16, 02:04 PM
I don't have a file called 20-radeon.conf, at least in the folder specified in the blog (/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-radeon.conf).

BarracudaUAK
07-22-16, 11:38 PM
I think I managed to do something to that VSync with Compiz Config Manager and it seemed Mount&Blade was running faster. I'm now reinstalling SH3 in case we actually will be able to get it running.

Sorry, I didn't see your 2nd post there, I may have been typing mine at that point, so my last post, was in response to this one.

Hey wow, that's a really novel way looking at it :) The VSync idea sounds really promising!

My laptop is Acer Aspire 5536.

Hopefully Vsync will do the trick.:yep:

For years I ran with it off in Windows because it never seemed to help, I never had tearing, so I went for the raw performance.

I use it a lot more in Linux, mainly when I watch a DVD.

I will try the wide screen mod as soon as I can end the patrol I'm currently running. To see if I can figure out how exactly to get it to install in WINE.
I'm sitting at the edge of a large convoy, so it shouldn't take too long to run out of torpedoes! :up:

Edit: The person that posted that blog, may have filed a bug report or a feature request, to move it to the config manager, may be why the file isn't there. Had the thought after I posted. Not sure if I'm getting old, or if Linux is working my brain that hard.

Barracuda

BarracudaUAK
07-25-16, 01:47 PM
I almost afraid to ask...

Any progress?

Barracuda

sublynx
07-26-16, 06:08 AM
The latest message from my computer is that the system monitoring the drive is expecting the drive to fail in the near future :dead:

So I've pretty much given up on the thing. I've managed to get Neverwinter Nights, Panzer General 2, Panzer General, Steel Panthers WAV, Civilization IV Colonization, and Mount&Blade running pretty nicely with small battles, and that's good enough for my gaming experiences.

I might try playing a modded SH3 at 1024x768 at some time, but don't really believe I'll get the widescreen thing working. If the drive fails, I'll go back to my old laptop that doesn't even have a graphics card.

So thanks a lot with the help, it has helped me in getting many other games working the way they worked in Windows, but my museum hardware just can't cope with a fully modded SH3 :arrgh!:

BarracudaUAK
07-26-16, 03:31 PM
The latest message from my computer is that the system monitoring the drive is expecting the drive to fail in the near future :dead:

That stinks...

But good to know everything else is working as it should. Glad I could help.

Just a quick thought, I know fedora can, can you install Mint to a USB drive?
And if the laptop would boot from that, you could keep your better pc running.:sunny:
Would be slower on the load times, but better than nothing.:up:

now I'm curious... I may try that myself... where did I put that 32gb microSD and my usb adapter.....:hmmm:

Barracuda

sublynx
07-27-16, 01:18 AM
Yeah Mint works from a USB stick as well. Even with the problem with widescreen SH3 I think I'm not going back to Windows even if I some day manage to get a new laptop. After about two weeks of getting used to the differences I just like Linux that much more. Nowadays Wine and PlayonLinux can run most Windows programs so even that is not stopping me from staying with Linux.

BarracudaUAK
07-27-16, 01:43 AM
I agree with you on that point, after my XP install crashed just a few months after microsoft was no longer required to support it, I decided "to heck with this, I've been wanting to go to linux for years... now it's sink or swim."

And I swam...
dipped underwater a few times, but still making headway.
I started with DOS 3.0 or 3.3, so CL is a cakewalk, just have to remember my capitalization in linux. :)

Some disappointments, but more of my old games work in wine than did in WinXP.

Barracuda

sublynx
07-28-16, 03:34 AM
Yeah I remember we had an old Sinclair ZX81 with no external memory. You typed the dos command lines in and then ran the program and the next time you had to type the lines again. The good old times :arrgh!:

The programs never crashed :ping:

On the other hand there was a lot typos :/\\!!

Paco
05-05-17, 07:32 AM
Wupp!

Hello,

After a long time of absence, other RL projects, games, etc. I am back again at Silent Hunter. Since switching from Linux to Windows annoys, I have once again adopted this topic. :D

And what can I say, it finally works! :yeah:

http://games.a8m.de/ScreenShots/jupiter_Arbeitsflaeche%204_144.png

http://games.a8m.de/ScreenShots/jupiter_SilentHunter3_start.png

SHIII, LSHIII 2015 (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=220285) + Ahnenerbe WideGui 1920 x 1080 Final (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=215433)

My current System:
Linux Mint 18.1 Serena (https://www.linuxmint.com/)
Play on Linux (https://www.playonlinux.com)
Wine 2.0.1 (https://www.winehq.org/download)
Nvidia Graphics-Driver (http://www.nvidia.de/object/unix-de.html)

HowTo:

Preparations - Basics

Install PlayOnLinux and the wine-stable Package
Make a new Bottle for the Game -> Windows7 64bit.
Install the game as specified in the description on WineHQ (https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=5618&iTestingId=91983).
Configure your Bottle - (For me this was the decisive step):

Wine -> Configure Wine (winetricks) -> Library -> DLL Overrides:

Set d3d9 to Native, then Builtin

Test the Game(Window- or FullScreen-Mode)

If it works, go to the next steps. If not, play around with Wine, POL and Your Graphics-Drivers.

Next Steps:

Download and Install LSHII as specified.
Install the three Patches for LSHIII.
Setup the Mod and the additions like SHIII Commander, HSIE, etc.

For me, the internal WideScreenMod does not work
Diesel Mod in HSIE crashes the Game

Test the Game again without the internal WideScreenMod-> do the Practise.
If its ok -> Proceed. If not, check Your Installation
Activate the WideSreenMod from Ahnenerbe

Looking back, these are all the steps - Enjoy :up:

http://games.a8m.de/ScreenShots/jupiter_SilentHunter3_155.png

http://games.a8m.de/ScreenShots/jupiter_SilentHunter3_158.png

Paco.

sublynx
05-05-17, 11:29 AM
Great to hear ! I'll be sure to try this if I ever get a computer with a supported graphics card.

Paco
05-16-17, 10:30 AM
it works really fine :D

The only thing, I have to work on is the white smoke.... :hmmm:

http://games.a8m.de/ScreenShots/white_smoke_grrr.jpg

Perhaps, someone has an idea? :06:

Cheers, Paco.

BarracudaUAK
05-17-17, 03:04 AM
VERY neat to read this!
So t really works under Linux! -- = A-W-E-S-O-M-E! = --

Thanks for bringing this contribution, Paco!!! GRACIAS! DANKE!

To what extent is the information given on this Linux-site still current?

http://appdb.winehq.org:80/appview.php?iAppId=3793
http://appdb.winehq.org:80/appview.php?iVersionId=5618

The 2nd one (I think) is the re-release without DRM (mine came with a copy of SH2)...

The newest listed is 1.7.50, which I have run SH3 on without problems on an AMD card.
May have been an Nvidia issue there.

The Steam version is shown to work "out of the box" with 2.1...

I have 2.7 installed 2.8 is current as of this post. I checked it a few days ago and SH3 (no DRM V1.4b) still works just fine.

If you are curious about the WINE versions check the end of my first post, and my 2nd (the 3rd post). I (very briefly) cover them there.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=229238

If at any point you want me to check (if I'm not actively playing) just make a thread, or post here, and I can tell you if SH3 is working ok in Wine.

Barracuda