PDA

View Full Version : Dive planes damaged?

palatum
05-16-12, 04:33 PM
Hi.
I started my second patrol in a career,and decided to try the IXB due to increased torpedo loadout. Just north of Shetlands I was attacked by airplanes, crashdived, but they managed to do some damage to the forward deck.
I repaired it, but whenever I go submerged, the sub won't stay neutral in the water, it sinks like a rock. The sub doesnęt react to the "maintain depth"/"Surface" or "set depth" orders. I even go down when I am surfaced at 0 knots. I have to blow ballast to surface. :damn:

I watched the sub with the Ext.cam, and the bow dive planes displays like this ( <-- is direction of the submarine)

<--/---

Is this correct? I would imagine I could surface with the dive planes in that position, compared to the flaps of an airplane.

No other damages are indicated. Hull integrety at 98%.
Is there a way of manually controlling the angles of the dive planes?
Or am I doomed...? :wah:

Thanks

Palatum

Missing Name
05-17-12, 12:04 AM
Just a hunch... is your control room full? In real life, there would be two men controlling the forward and aft dive planes. Not sure if this is modeled in the game...

Tinman764
05-17-12, 01:05 AM
I don't think the game will let you move someone out of those positions without automatically replacing them.

IMO - RTB. Your boat is obviously broken, let the engineers fix it while you enjoy a few beers :)

Captain Nemo
05-17-12, 01:52 AM
Hi.
I started my second patrol in a career,and decided to try the IXB due to increased torpedo loadout. Just north of Shetlands I was attacked by airplanes, crashdived, but they managed to do some damage to the forward deck.
I repaired it, but whenever I go submerged, the sub won't stay neutral in the water, it sinks like a rock. The sub doesnęt react to the "maintain depth"/"Surface" or "set depth" orders. I even go down when I am surfaced at 0 knots. I have to blow ballast to surface. :damn:

I watched the sub with the Ext.cam, and the bow dive planes displays like this ( <-- is direction of the submarine)

<--/---

Is this correct? I would imagine I could surface with the dive planes in that position, compared to the flaps of an airplane.

No other damages are indicated. Hull integrety at 98%.
Is there a way of manually controlling the angles of the dive planes?
Or am I doomed...? :wah:

Thanks

Palatum

After crash diving did you change depth before reaching 70 metres? If so, you might be affected by a bug that prevents you maintaining depth at speeds of 2 knots or below. I have had this happen to me and in my experience you slowly sink by the stern. Some forum members say to cure this you need to crash dive again and let the boat level out at 70 metres then the bug disappears. In my case this didn't work, I had to save and exit and reaload which cured it for me.

Nemo

RustySubmarine
05-17-12, 11:05 AM
Had this problem myself. As Captain Nemo has said, the best way out of this problem is to save then reload. I don't think it can be cured unless the game is reloaded.

Hinrich Schwab
05-17-12, 12:49 PM
It is "ye olde Crash Dive Bug" making its presence known. Saving and reloading does fix the big, but then you have the infamous "submerged save" bug to worry about appearing. The only solution I have seen work (in both III and 4) is to blow ballasts. Once on the surface, the boat "resets" for surface running and the problem resolves itself. Since it was a plane that made you dive, it should not be much of an issue since he probably expended his payload when you dove to begin with.

palatum
05-17-12, 04:18 PM
Yup, surfacing, saving and reloading fixed it.
Allthough the planes kept returning. Staying on a wider course this time :D
Thanks a lot guys!! :salute: