PDA

View Full Version : The worst weather I've ever seen...

Osmium Steele
05-15-12, 12:26 PM
November '39.

Hunting in AM52, submerged at 25 meters, speed 2 kts and the boat starts to rock and roll. Must be a nice blow going up top. Been there, done that. Swings of 5 -7 meters are not uncommon, even at this depth.

After a couple of hours our depth starts swinging wildly. One time we even broached the surface! All with no input.

I decided to stay submerged and let it blow over, but it didn't. With batteries at 50% and atmosphere at 5% we surface in the middle of the storm.

The engineering crew moved to the diesel room, and it took 10 more minutes before the bridge crew moved to the tower. When they did, the diesels would not respond. They remained manned, but neither engine would start. Standard propulsion, charging batteries, nothing worked.
Rang up every bell, even selected various speeds manually, nothing worked.

Occasionally, I'd see the engines rev, only to stop a few seconds later due to the depth. The boat simply would not remained surfaced long enough for the diesels to run. Even though surfaced (even blew ballast once) we were still submerging to 20 meters at times. Atmosphere readings (oxygen) ran down to 0% then jumped to 100% while we managed to stay near the surface for 30 seconds or so.

Running GWX Gold with no other weather mods. Never seen weather this bad.

After another 12 hours or so of this, the seas calmed enough to allow normal operation, charged the batteries and compressed air and submerged.

That was nasty.

RConch
05-15-12, 12:50 PM
You are preaching to the choir.:D
Just spent almost 10 days of storm and rough seas in CF 98 in November 1941. When it wasn't raining the sky and the sea were lead grey.

STEED
05-15-12, 01:02 PM
Stop carping on and take your sea sickness pills. :) :haha:

Raptor
05-15-12, 02:44 PM
Rediculous to put up with that crap!:damn:

Just hit ESC and Return to Base. Let the weather sink the convoys while you sink into a soft chair at the O-club.:rock:

Start a new patrol when ready

Hinrich Schwab
05-15-12, 02:55 PM
November '39.

Hunting in AM52, submerged at 25 meters, speed 2 kts and the boat starts to rock and roll. Must be a nice blow going up top. Been there, done that. Swings of 5 -7 meters are not uncommon, even at this depth.

After a couple of hours our depth starts swinging wildly. One time we even broached the surface! All with no input.

I decided to stay submerged and let it blow over, but it didn't. With batteries at 50% and atmosphere at 5% we surface in the middle of the storm.

The engineering crew moved to the diesel room, and it took 10 more minutes before the bridge crew moved to the tower. When they did, the diesels would not respond. They remained manned, but neither engine would start. Standard propulsion, charging batteries, nothing worked.
Rang up every bell, even selected various speeds manually, nothing worked.

Occasionally, I'd see the engines rev, only to stop a few seconds later due to the depth. The boat simply would not remained surfaced long enough for the diesels to run. Even though surfaced (even blew ballast once) we were still submerging to 20 meters at times. Atmosphere readings (oxygen) ran down to 0% then jumped to 100% while we managed to stay near the surface for 30 seconds or so.

Running GWX Gold with no other weather mods. Never seen weather this bad.

After another 12 hours or so of this, the seas calmed enough to allow normal operation, charged the batteries and compressed air and submerged.

That was nasty.

Sounds like normal, early war SHIII weather to me. It wouldn't be SHIII unless it was Sea State 7 or worse as soon as you leave friendly waters and stayed that way the whole patrol.

Just keep puke buckets in each compartment and know that no matter how bad you have it, surface ships have it much worse. :up:

Just "be more aggressive"! :arrgh!::rotfl2:

Gargamel
05-15-12, 08:56 PM
Try returning to the Norway base in that sea state. Channel is too shallow, you get bashed on the bottom. Tried to rtb and had to stay out of the fjord for a few days, in 1944, heavy air patrols.

Hitman
05-16-12, 08:10 AM
Be more agressive!! :haha: