PDA

View Full Version : Kiel Canal Auto Pilot

RustySubmarine
05-11-12, 09:35 AM
I have a couple of versions of SH3 installed on my computer, namely GWX Gold & SH3 Living 5.1 Mod. To be honest, I much prefer the GWX mod to the Living 5.1 Mod, even though it does have more eye candy when in the harbours and traversing the Kiel Canal. But one thing that I miss about GWX is the Kiel Canal Auto Pilot, where you can auto plot your course from either end of the canal.

Is there a mod that can be added to GWX3 to have this facility or is it possible to use the files from SH Living 5.1 Mod and put them into SH GWX3?

If so, then what files need to be taken from SH Living, for the auto pilot to be used for SH GWX, and if possible will it work?

Can anyone throw any light on this, as plotting the course manually is a bit of a pain.

Herr-Berbunch
05-11-12, 09:51 AM
GWX has the Kiel Canal auto pilot, page 35 of the GWX manual.

Navigator, Plot Course, Kiel Canal (inbound or outbound).

Enjoy your trip. :yep:

Sailor Steve
05-11-12, 10:52 AM
Yep, GWX has it built in. Be sure to click the button before you start the engines or move at all. If you move first the waypoints will be off and you'll crash.

I prefer to do my own plotting and never use it myself.

Gargamel
05-11-12, 10:57 AM
GWX has the Kiel Canal auto pilot, page 35 of the GWX manual.

Navigator, Plot Course, Kiel Canal (inbound or outbound).

Enjoy your trip. :yep:

Rtfm. Cough cough. :D

Boompus
05-11-12, 11:28 AM
? Kiel Canal auto plot??

Man... take the challenge... let your helmsman/navigator/watchman work for their reward. After that they may go to the nightclub and do some carwash outside !

RustySubmarine
05-11-12, 01:51 PM
Thanks guys, am I blind or what? Must pay more attention to my navigating officer in future. No more plotting the canal for me now.

Osmium Steele
05-11-12, 02:28 PM
Plot, shplot. Do it in real time and give all the orders yourself. :D

Herr-Berbunch
05-11-12, 03:53 PM
Rtfm. Cough cough. :D

I take great pride in the fact that phrase is very rarely used at SUBSIM.com, unlike most other fora.

As for the canal - I go around Denmark.

RustySubmarine
05-11-12, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE :- As for the canal - I go around Denmark.[/QUOTE]

What! and waste precious fuel. Don't you know there is a war on!

Gargamel
05-11-12, 10:18 PM
Depending on your destination it may not save fuel.

Sailor Steve
05-12-12, 07:18 AM
Depending on your destination it may not save fuel.
True, depending as you say on destination. What gets lost in the game is that for the most part it did save a lot of fuel and time. That's why they built it in the first place.

Herr-Berbunch
05-12-12, 10:02 AM
I think of it as good practice for the crew, spotting and stalking friendly or neutral vessels in relatively friendly waters. Can't do that in the canal. And I'm always heading North anyway. :D

RustySubmarine
05-17-12, 10:30 AM
Still it's nice to have the Kiel Canal available in GWX with the auto pilot if you want it. Better than the stock game with no canal at all.

Red October1984
05-24-12, 12:29 AM
After spending my early patrols based out of Kiel, I have used the Outbound course every time. The Inbound course is the hard part. U gotta line it up perfect. It ran me aground on my first patrol. I was trolling the Kiel Canal, 32x time compression, then this big chunk of land just reaches out and swats me out of the water. Mission failed. Now, the outbound is helpful. Inbound, not at all. I just hit escape, exit patrol, RTB, to finish my patrols. By the time I hit Scapa and/or Dover and head back to Kiel or more preferably Wilhelmshaven, I'm outta fuel. Batteries don't get ya far. IXD2 boats based in St. Nazaire can't make it across the Atlantic to New York on one tank of gas. I got stuck halfway when I tried. Had me a U-571 (movie) moment there. U-600 was doomed. Now in my career, in my VIIB, I just hit ports in "der kanal" and sail on back. I've only gotten Scapa once and came out with over 12500 tons to my name.

bigboywooly
05-24-12, 10:30 AM
A IXD should make it there and back on a tank of gas.

What speeds are you travelling ?

VONHARRIS
05-24-12, 10:51 AM
Correct.
At ahead one third even a IXC can make it to New York and back with some 20% fuel remaining.

Red October1984
05-24-12, 11:20 AM
A IXD should make it there and back on a tank of gas.

What speeds are you travelling ?

Ahead Standard. Sailed out of Bordeaux. Didn't make it far.