PDA

View Full Version : "Camera out of sectors" at ports

zygoma
04-30-12, 06:02 PM
Hiya, all. I searched and found a reference to a similar thread, but was unable to find the thread, as was the person who referenced it....
I've got Free View enabled, to help me figure out whether it's worth finding my way into enemy harbors, look at the makeups of convoys, etc.
But at a couple of places, once my little runabout is entering the harbors, I start to get oddly tilted views of essentially nothing but water and land, but never ships. Typically it occurs when I try scrolling through targets with the < and > keys (well, without Shift, so they're really . and ,) .
Until this past week, I'd only seen it at Scapa Flow, because it's one of the single missions that comes canned with SH3. But I've been doing my patrol zone and then going "trolling" in likely target-rich environments on my way home. This week I've gone into Loch Ewe (does that sound like a Scottish curse to anyone besides me?) and Firth of Forth, and had the same thing happen.
I'm pretty sure it's not my system running out of memory; I'm running an AMD 2800+ dual core processor with 4GB system RAM and an nVidia GTX 550 Ti (1GB video RAM) under Windows XP Pro 32-bit.
I don't see it happening in open waters with convoys and weather, when *lots* of things are moving. I only see it in locations with land, and usually less than a half-dozen ships in the whole area.
Has anyone else noted this, and is there a fix?
I'm using vanilla SH3 with 1.4 DVD patch. Yesterday I overlaid the Starforce-free patch, but without effect for this problem (however, it is nice to be able to play without the disk installed).
I don't know if it's just how the code was written 8 years ago and didn't anticipate processors as fast as are available now, like Motorola with their commercial radio programming software for older models, or if it's just a bug......errr, "undocumented feature"......
Cornfoozed as ever,
-- ZyHuh?!? --

Mittelwaechter
05-02-12, 06:06 AM
There is a SH3 vanilla bug connected to "jump to land units" via < and > keys - and still unsolved as far as I know. Just don't use them close to land and harbours. In Scapa Flow there are searchlights positioned on some small islands - resulting in this buggy behaviour of jumping up and down camera or tilt/fixed/out of sectors perspectives.

zygoma
05-02-12, 09:29 AM
Domo arigato, Herr Kaleun Mittelwaechter.

I've gotten so used to having buggy software that I didn't know if this was a problem specific to my system, or if it's something that *everyone* already gets to "enjoy".

One of these days I'll have all the stuff on my XP machine backed up so I can wipe the drive and re-install the OS and programs (it's got some sort of Trojan). In the meantime, I've downloaded the supermods and patches onto my laptop because it can go online without doing malicious things. Then it'll just be a matter of jamming the thumb drive with all my SH3 goodies into the other machine.

In the meantime, I'm somewhat assured that at least the odd tiltage isn't yet another fault on my other machine.

Again, many thanks.
-- Zygoma (the perpetual n00b) --