PDA

View Full Version : Review: Submarines up close

Platapus
04-20-12, 03:08 PM
Abramson, A. S., (2007) Submarines up close. New York: Sterling

I was able to pick this interesting book for under $3.00. Simply put, for three bucks it is worth it, but for the original full price of $9.95 it is probably not.

This is a case where you can judge a book by its title. It is a book filled up with close up pictures of submarines. It is these photographs that would be valuable to subnuts like us. :up:

The book is physically big with dimensions of 11x13 inches. This is clearly an advantage where close up pictures are used, but a disadvantage for storing the book on your bookcase. Unfortunately, the book is only 48 pages long. :down:

The book’s format is simple. Most pages are fold out with pictures of …uh.. well…submarines up close. There is text but honestly, few members of Subsim will learn anything from the text. It will take you about 15 minutes to read all of the text in what is primarily a picture book.

The pictures themselves are very good. Nice and clear. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your interests, the book jumps around between pictures of WWII era submarines to more modern submarines with little form or structure. Many of the pictures are actual size meaning lots of close ups of gauges.

Personally, I would have preferred the book to pick one submarine and feature cubic buttloads of pictures of that submarine.:D

People into modeling may find some of these pictures very valuable. Many of the pictures are from unusual angles than pictures found in other books. For the rest of us, they are just cool to look at. If you can find a copy with the dust jacket, take the time to remove it and look inside the jacket. There is a nice photograph of the diving plane control wheels in an older submarine. Pretty cool stuff. :yeah:

If you are really observant, you can find out that this is really a book for kids to give them an introduction to submarines. :oops: Oh well, while the text is rather simple, there were pictures of the insides of submarines that I have not seen in other books.

Make no mistake, this is not a hard-core history book on submarines. It is just what its title states – submarines up close.

If you can find this book for a buck or two, I would recommend it solely for the pictures. I don’t know if it is worth the full original price of ten bucks.