PDA

View Full Version : Legend of Grimrock

j_o_nn_y
04-12-12, 04:48 PM
This game has just been released :-

http://www.grimrock.net/

It's a game that is harking back to the times of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master but has advanced graphics.

Ducimus
04-12-12, 06:44 PM
Saw it on steam. Just kind waiting to see if anyone here picks it up and tells us about it. :O:

Drewcifer
04-12-12, 06:59 PM
Just grabbed it, waiting on DL I will report back my thoughts.

Arclight
04-12-12, 07:35 PM
Same, grabbed it along with Theme Hospital... might be a bit before I get around to playing it. :lol:

Drewcifer
04-12-12, 10:15 PM
So far so good.

I like it. Very old school, straight back to the era of crappy graphics. For the younger crowd its very much a skyrim meets myst experience (minus the huge open world, and instead inside a dark, cramped cavern)

To the old crowd its the same dungeon crawlers we were brought up on with some flashy graphics updates. While they def don't reinvent the wheel they made a very polished and complete game. Its only 13 dollars, I mean really I suggest it.

0rpheus
04-13-12, 06:19 AM
To the old crowd its the same dungeon crawlers we were brought up on with some flashy graphics updates. While they def don't reinvent the wheel they made a very polished and complete game. Its only 13 dollars, I mean really I suggest it.

Have to agree with this, only had maybe 3-4 hours in it so far but it seems very polished, the puzzles aren't so fiendish I'm pulling my hair out (yet), and the combat is quite challenging in places. I'm tempted to restart with custom characters now I've seen a bit of the game.

Definitely recommended if you've any experienced of these games before, and even if you haven't!

Arclight
04-13-12, 10:43 AM
Decided to "have a quick go at it" last night: the next hours were spend slaying critters, fumbling magic spells and feverishly scouring walls for loose rocks. I like it, good fun.

Good level of complexity and still pretty straight forward. Created my own characters despite not knowing the game and they served me well thus far. Controls are sensible as well. The plot draped over it to tie it together is pretty light fare but well executed.

I missed out on these type of games in the past, partly on account of being 4 years old in '87 and partly because we never had a PC. For me it is a fresh experience and feels decidedly modern in its execution, even if it is based on fairly old mechanics.

j_o_nn_y
04-14-12, 04:44 AM
Well Ive just started it and I have opted for making my own team of characters. They seem to be doing well too. I started replaying Eye of the Beholder 2 recently but I think ill stick with Grimrock for now. The graphics and gameplay are excellent. :yeah:

Dowly
04-14-12, 05:14 AM
Liking it so far. :yeah:

Arclight
04-16-12, 08:40 AM
The Riches And Patches Of Grimrock (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/04/16/the-riches-and-patches-of-grimrock/)

***8220;The development costs of the game have now been covered many times over so the future of the company seems pretty secure,***8221;
:yeah:

Also, patch inbound in a week or so, and a map editor at some point.

Drewcifer
04-16-12, 06:06 PM
Well it has been in the top 3 of the steam top sellers list since release, the forum at the games site seems hugely populated. I'd go ahead and say the creator went ahead and just painted his minecraft.

Ducimus
04-16-12, 07:33 PM
even if it is based on fairly old mechanics.

Ya know, just because a concept is old, doesn't mean its a dinosaur. What's sad in gaming nowadays, is stuff thought up a decade ago, are often considered new, fresh, and whatever adjectives you'd want to use. Particularly where MMO's are concerned, but thats another topic.

Just picked this game up a little awhile ago, and im excited to play it after watching some "lets plays".

As an aside, I've been gaming on PC's since 1986. This was one of my first RPG's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBNgfrxD3qE

So I think i'll REALLY get a kick out of this game now that i see it's not vaporware.

EDIT:

Nice...... Look familiar?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i74e0ywjlQM

kiwi_2005
04-16-12, 07:51 PM
Actually it doesn't look to bad. But chasing old school games like this just makes me feel old. Let them rest, why revive them. Shadowrun and now this! I need a beer.

Ducimus
04-17-12, 11:06 AM
Playing old school games doesn't make me feel old. What does it for me, is the increasing amount of white hair i see every morning when i look in the mirror.

Arclight
04-17-12, 11:24 AM
Why not "revive" them? LoG already made back its investment many times over: clearly it's something people want. That's not to say I'd like to see the market flooded with games like it, but a game every now and then, using new technology, don't see anything wrong with that.
Ya know, just because a concept is old, doesn't mean its a dinosaur. What's sad in gaming nowadays, is stuff thought up a decade ago, are often considered new, fresh, and whatever adjectives you'd want to use. Particularly where MMO's are concerned, but thats another topic.
For the record, I never said it was a dinosaur. Just trying to point out it is a rather lovely game on every level. :yep:

But yeah, I've noticed it as well. Marketing has always been like that though; pick a feature that sets the game apart and claim it's the most amazing thing ever.

Ducimus
04-17-12, 12:49 PM
Cheat or using your brain?

So there's this room. It had some ominous name etched into the wall before you entered it. Nothing in the room except a floorplate in the center. I knew this was going to be bad. It's a setup and you just know it looking at it. I figured, "Let's see what happens" and stepped on it.

Secret door in front of me slowly opens. Out march's a legionare. I figure, "oh just one of them? Easy peasy!" And start to fight him. Then I hear another door open, and another. So there I am being hit from left, right, and the front. I die.

I then reload the game, and stare at this room some more. Floor plate, a grate door that closes behind you. I look more at it, and notice a button. SO i stand outside the room, press the button, and the door closes. Hmmm ok, then i think... Floor plate, door button... rock?

I toss a rock. It lands accross the room. Ok too far. I toss it again, and it barely lands on the floor plate. The grate in front of me drops, in order to trap me inside like it did before. I then watch. Will it work? Sure enough the hidden door opens, and then the next and the next. So there i sit with 3 of those legionares behind a door, with me on the outside.

"Nah nah nah! You can't get me!" Then i think, "hmmm. Door switch, narrow front!" So i press the switch, the grate opens and the first mob attacks me, the other two can't reach me. These guys are TOUGH. I can barely take on one. Just before one of my fighters is about to die, i press teh button and the door closes. I sit there and thumb my nose at them. Then i rest. Get the hitpoints back, open the door, and continue. Get low on hit points, close the door rest. Repeat until all three are dead.

So, was that cheating , or using your head? :har:

Arclight
04-17-12, 12:58 PM
Using your head, definitely. I never step on a plate without testing it first. From a safe distance, of course. I love how the game allows for these kind of things. :yep:

*Spoilerish*

There's plates later on that only trigger when you stand on them; items are just too light. If they didn't want you to use that tactic, they would have put one of these plates.

Stealhead
04-20-12, 10:02 AM
Work smarter not harder right?So why fight several foes at once when you can only fight them one at a time I would call that using your head.

Arclight
07-11-12, 08:30 PM
Little update: dungeon editor is coming along (http://www.grimrock.net/2012/07/04/dungeon-editor-is-in-alpha/).

Stealhead
07-11-12, 10:09 PM
I thought about picking this up yesterday but went with Divine Divinity instead
LoG was $14.99 and DD was $5.99 so I went with the cheaper game.I figure LoG will be on sale at some point (might have been already and I missed it but it will be discounted again at some point.)

Arclight
09-13-12, 06:04 AM
Legend Of Grimrock Dungeon Editor Hits Public Beta (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/13/legend-of-grimrock-dungeon-editor-hits-public-beta/)

It's a Steam-only thing though. If you have it on Steam or bought from them directly, in which case you should have gotten a Steam key, you can access the beta. Otherwise you'll have to wait for it to release proper.

Miggy4000
10-05-12, 05:56 AM
Grimrock on sale at GOG for $7.49
Have a look here http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/legend_of_grimrock

Arclight
10-14-14, 04:52 PM
Two and a half years after we were delighted by Legend Of Grimrock, developers Almost Human return with a sequel – Legend Of Grimrock 2 – that aims to expand on the original, go outdoors as well as in, and remind us it’s hip to be a square (-moving person). Have they managed it? (Hint: OH GOOD HEAVENS YES.) Here’s wot I think:http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/10/14/review-rpg-grimrock-sequel/

Mud
10-14-14, 05:20 PM
pre ordered Legend Of Grimrock 2 on GOG, can't wait to give it a go.... altho I never finished the first one :hmmm:

Arclight
10-15-14, 06:45 AM
It's not particularly heavy on story-telling, so you're not really missing anything.

Should really just grab this... Rather liked the first one, but I'm stuck in this "gotta at least play the other stuff I bought first" mentality. Stopid sales.

Mud
10-15-14, 11:30 AM
lol I know what you mean, I purchased 3 games the last week including Shadow of Mordor which I only played for a few hours.
Think we need the long and cold winter nights to get into gaming :O:

Arclight
10-21-14, 05:05 AM
Enjoying it thus far. More great puzzles and tricky fights. And ever-elusive secret switches is spades. :yep: