PDA

View Full Version : Oops

PappyCain
03-18-12, 08:27 AM
I use SH3 Commander. I had a hot shot crew, experienced. In the 10th patrol, I was relieved of command and the boat was to be taken over by the exec. officer while they deloused me and sent me to a training assignment.

I presumed the boat would continue on with a new commander name.

I deleted and the boat, crew and hsitory is gone and I am forced to start with new boat, less equipment, new fresh faces ... duh!

I forget, was it to work this way??

I did retrieve the old farts folder and can reinsert it into SH3C if it is do-able or is that not an option. If I can do it, where in SH3C does it go?

Be nice to have same old rust bucket and able crew ...

:salute:

Sailor Steve
03-18-12, 09:38 AM
OUCH! I hate when that happens (and it happens to me more than I like to admit). :nope:

I've never continued a boat with a new captain, preferring to start a new career from that date, and I'm not sure how Commander handles these things. I think it doesn't go into Commander's folder at all, but into the SH3 folder in My Documents, but again I'm not sure.

Sorry to be of no help at all, but I thought some sympathy might be in order.

Tinman764
03-18-12, 09:51 AM
Is this the result of having "realistic career length" box checked?

Sailor Steve
03-18-12, 10:49 AM
I want to keep the boat and the experienced crew as in real life! not start with a new boat, lousy chef de cuisine, and baby faced trainees who barf all day ...
"I"? "You" have been reassigned to command a training squadron. In real life you'll need an option to play that one out. :O: You're effectively starting a new career anyway. I use SH3 Commander to have a trained (or semi-trained) crew for each career, and I run several at the same time. I make Patrol #1 a quick turnaround, then assign ever single PO a skill. :D

Gargamel
03-18-12, 12:04 PM
Id imagine you could start a new career at the date you left off, using the new co's name as yours. Make your quick test cruise around the docks, and then copy/paste the crew members from one file to another. New career, cloned crew, cloned boat too

Gargamel
03-18-12, 05:45 PM
Try running a file search, looking for a file that contains the name of a specific crew member, then sort by date. Open the latest one, copy out the pertinent crew info. Then start a new career as mentioned above, paste the info into the appropriate file of that career.

In theory I thInk that should work. Any specifics from more knowledgable players?

PappyCain
03-22-12, 04:32 PM
I was able to figure it out. Bingo. I restored my guy's file, then requested he return to duty on SH3 Commander. He is now ready to return with old crew and boat. He just farted a lot at his desk job and was thrown back to his reprobates where he belongs!

:woot:

PappyCain
03-22-12, 06:19 PM
So he climbs aboard, checks boat and crew and all as he left her. Boat is 100% and full stores, and eels.

August 18, 1944. In the pen he decides to put the flak gunners on station.

Not more than 6-7 minutes out of the pen, Sirens! Air raid. He put her down to periscope depth while all the armed vessels begin to return fire on 6 RAF Lancasters (I think).

When said and done he surfaces, and looks at the mess, one tug sunk and two vessels fighting fires.

He heads to the sea at flank speed and is jumped by air about 2 hours later, crash dives, but takes heavy damage and flooding. But all crew survive and boat get pumped and patched up. (barely I might add).

Revenge! He takes her up to the mouth of the Channel, in shallow 100M depth with only the thought of sinking British armed destroyers and nails 3. Ol' Dunkin Donuts is after commercial vessels as we all know but is delighted to hear this old farter nailed 3 combatants in their baliwick.

Note: all I had to do was find where SH3 Commanders stored a new kaleun, and then plop my folder of this old salt retrieved from the recycle bin into it. Then request him back to duty .. the old reprobates and original boat are back in action.

u crank
03-22-12, 06:54 PM
You're a hard charger, Pappy!

Keep it up and you'll get another promotion. :haha:

Good to see you got it working.:salute:

PappyCain
03-24-12, 06:59 AM
hahahaha - the old fart was forced to surrender (SH3 choice). One more enemy ship keep staying out of range for a good true shot. Knowing it might be a ploy for reinforcements to arrive, the decision was made surface enough to entice the bugger to run towards me. Back at periscope depth I missed his charge but evaded his depth charges slipping under his screws and running a full flank on battery it gave me the needed distance to up periscope and stick him with a eel from my stern.

Then another showed, same ploy. This time I had to charge him with only one eel left. I was able to get within 600M and the eel nailed him. So now we have sunk 5.

But more were coming and my only choice left was to try to run 19 knots on the smooth surface ... of course with his radar locked onto us he would catch me eventually which he did in about a half hour. We crashed dived and settle in the mud at 120M.

Eventually he nailed me. I was out of battery juice so I could not evade. I was out of eels so no more tactics. I was out of brown mustard for my knockwurst. Methane gas I generated was keeling over my crew ...

BTW U-Crank, this was a past great adventure: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150483&highlight=Helga (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=150483&highlight=Helga)