PDA

View Full Version : GWX working slow.. Anything i can do?

jimmyjam25
03-17-12, 10:25 PM
Normal SH3 worked fine on my computer but the grey wolves is a bit slow and is wrecking gameplay. Whats the 'particle density' setting? Or is it something to do with the way I installed it. Read somewhere about installing into a different place on computer or something?

jimmyjam25
03-18-12, 01:18 AM
Oh and my computer is running Vista :wah:

matti95
03-18-12, 04:09 AM
http://www.thegreywolves.com/support/

Try the step by step instructions for vista users.

Luno
03-18-12, 04:58 AM
Particles are what make up bow-waves and smoke. The more there are in a scene, the harder your graphics card has to work to render them.

Lowering the particle density will help somewhat.

The biggest frame-rate killer in SH3 is the extreme level of polygons and lack of optimization for that. Most games like Il-2 have LOD (level-of-detail) models with fewer polygons the further away that object is, until it's finally just a single-pixel dot. In SH3, this is not the case at all. This is especially problematic in ports which have buildings that are just too detailed for their distance.

The point is, GWX adds lots of objects (and therefore, polygons) to harbors, and I think it also adds objects with finer detail (again, more polygons).

Your OS is the not the problem usually. SHIII should run fine on Vista. The problem is your hardware. An integrated laptop graphics chip-set isn't going to cut it; you need a dedicated card, and a decent one at that.

However, you can probably boost performance a bit by cleaning up things that sap memory like browser history, running a periodic hard drive defragmentation to shorten load times, and even simply cleaning dust out of the fan. This last one had a huge effect on my laptop: I pulled out a 1/2 cm thick pad of compressed dust...crashes stopped and frame-rates improved dramatically.

But, I still can't run GWX. I bought a computer for my mom which runs it beautifully, but she only uses it to play facebook games, lol. I owe myself a new system I think.

Gargamel
03-18-12, 05:32 AM
What are your specs?

Mittelwaechter
03-18-12, 05:35 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

butch100
03-18-12, 08:00 AM
I'm running an E8400@ 3.6Ghz, 4 gig RAM, ATI 4380 card with 512Kram and GWX still will get choppy in a heavy convoy scene with a lot of explosions FPS drops to 10-15, sucks 'cause I love GWX too..

jimmyjam25
03-24-12, 07:28 AM
Well I deleted a heap of stuff and now its working fairly well. By the way I am loving Grey Wolves! :D

Gargamel
03-24-12, 08:57 AM
Deleted from the hard drive?

If that's what solved it, you might want a Bigger drive. if you start to run out of room, the virtual ram gets smaller. Try a defrag too.

jimmyjam25
03-25-12, 06:46 AM
Yeah, off the hard drive. Ill get around to a defrag some day...

Gargamel
03-25-12, 09:37 AM
Why wait? If that's the problem, fix it. Just let it run overnight.

jimmyjam25
03-26-12, 04:19 AM
Yeah i'll do it tonight :)

Herr-Berbunch
03-26-12, 05:12 AM
Do not use the Micro$oft defrag, instead download and use defraggler, it's free from Piriform and Filehippo.co and is leaps and bounds better than the default effort. With defraggler you can even just defrag one file or folder.

Whilst you're there get ccleaner too.