PDA

View Full Version : near Invincible ships in port

andwii
03-08-12, 01:10 PM
So here is something I have been wondering, why is it that when a ship is stationary it takes way more eels to sink it. Once when raiding Gibralter I fired a spread of 4 eels at the Nelson, all hitting it but not sinking it. I needed to put in two more for her to go down, yet when Prein attacked the royal oak it only took 4 impacts. Is there a mod to fix the problem of this, or is it not a problem at all and im over analyzing.

bigboywooly
03-08-12, 01:16 PM
A lot depends on the port
If the port is shallow the ship will settle on the bottom without actually sinking
So you need more torps to reduce hitpoints till ship " sinks " thru damage not from slipping beneath the waves :up:

Hinrich Schwab
03-08-12, 01:33 PM
Another issue you may not be taking into account is a torpedo impacting on a seawall or dock from an angle oblique enough to mistake it for an impact on target. I have seen it in 3 and 4. Repositioning usually resolves this, but one cannot tell from 2500m that the impact is grazing a dock and masking a "miss".

Raticon
03-08-12, 03:09 PM
Also, a ship that is fighting it's way through high waves and stormy winds in a storm will take in far more water when hit than ships in calm waters.

I have managed to sink the Royal Oak with a single torpedo in rough seas, as storms deals a slight portion of damage to the ships itself.

Earlier i always avoided engaging ships in storms, now i tend to like it as the high waves make it easier to kill, but harder to aim, so get reeeealy close and comfy to them ;)

Sailor Steve
03-08-12, 08:30 PM
I fired a spread of 4 eels at the Nelson, all hitting it but not sinking it. I needed to put in two more for her to go down, yet when Prein attacked the royal oak it only took 4 impacts.
Royal Oak: Built in 1916, 31,000 tons full load, recieved anti-torpedo bulges between the wars.

Nelson: Built in 1935, 41,000 tons full load, anti-torpedo bulges built in.

There was a very large difference between the two.