PDA

View Full Version : Well, I'm certainly glad that I aced Trig back in the day...

misha1967
03-05-12, 03:44 AM
...because I just tried, for the fun of it, to use the "calculate firing solution" shortcut instead of just doing it myself as I usually do. The results were... Amusing.

First off, it took forever for the poor guy to finish his calculations (which, I admit, is an improvement in realism over SH3 where he would come up with speed, course, AOB and distance in a fraction of a second) and second, his numbers... :har: A freighter doing 26kts at about three times its actual distance and don't even get me started on his AOB "guess"timate.

I have met Bernard again. He transferred with me from SH3 :DL

Sailor Steve
03-05-12, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure, but I think in SH5 the more times you ask him the better his estimates become.

Trevally.
03-05-12, 12:32 PM
...because I just tried, for the fun of it, to use the "calculate firing solution" shortcut instead of just doing it myself as I usually do. The results were... Amusing.

First off, it took forever for the poor guy to finish his calculations (which, I admit, is an improvement in realism over SH3 where he would come up with speed, course, AOB and distance in a fraction of a second) and second, his numbers... :har: A freighter doing 26kts at about three times its actual distance and don't even get me started on his AOB "guess"timate.

I have met Bernard again. He transferred with me from SH3 :DL

TDW made a tutorial for this - you should try it:up:

I have made a mod "TDC help" - it is tutorial script based but can be used at any time.
So if you spot a ship you can select the script from the auto page and it will open a window that talks you through the stages to get the XO to give good est for solutions:up:

0rpheus
03-05-12, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure, but I think in SH5 the more times you ask him the better his estimates become.

I do believe you're right. Asking at intervals over a longer period will give you a more accurate reading, but Misha's right - always better to do it yourself! :up:

Captain_AJ
03-05-12, 01:16 PM
I do believe you're right. Asking at intervals over a longer period will give you a more accurate reading, but Misha's right - always better to do it yourself! :up:

I dont know if you kaluens use a known target type in your caculations and than use the same firing soulution for the rest of the ships within the convoy .. ? It works for me .. I suppose thats a question rather than a statement . There is one real life u-boat captian that comes to my mind about expending torpedoes . 1 torpedo for one ship . relizing from experance and you can certinally remember what firing soulution works on a ship .. manual targeting is a science in it-self . everytime Iam plotting iam getting butterflies in my stomach ---last nites three kills were using the fly method . AOb @ 90, Speed 10 knots , range around 1200 meters . I tried to shoot a vicking tanker at a longer distance and it missed , however these other ships , --ini, mini,mo -- fry a friehter and a tanker thats really slow-- It was just fun and the butterflies left .. another thing that helps .. playing the US navy Hym eternal wave .. :O:on gramerphone, -- SIC Huh ? :yep:

Cimmeron Tankers are huge ships and using only 2 torpedos to sink her was a great accomplishment .. Guys sorry for rambling on .. Just rubing shoulders with other accomplished Kaulens

misha1967
03-05-12, 03:20 PM

I have made a mod "TDC help" - it is tutorial script based but can be used at any time.

You know, just out of curiosity I'm going to try that one. Like I said, I like to do them myself, but I just wanted to check out how good my crew or Waffenoffizier was. Thanks :DL

Also, it would make sense from a realism point of view to be able to delegate a bit every now and again. Those weren't one-man U-boats, after all :DL

If you want something done right... And all that.

I dont know if you kaluens use a known target type in your caculations and than use the same firing soulution for the rest of the ships within the convoy .. ? It works for me ..

It certainly should, as all the ships travel at the same speed and on the same course. The only thing you need the correct type for is for the Stadimeter/RAOBF and for setting the torpedo depth.

Oh, and I know the "butterflies in the stomach" bit very well. It's one of the reasons this sim never gets old for me. Having made the "perfect" firing solution, programmed the TDC, flooded and set the eel, picked up my attack position and just waiting, waiting for the time to order LOS!

...driving myself nuts every second of my wait wondering if there was one little thing I forgot or did wrong this time :haha:

And then the "YAY, they HIT!" feeling when my worries are proven, most of the time, unfounded.

It just never gets old. :up:

Dogfish40
03-06-12, 11:23 AM

So if you spot a ship you can select the script from the auto page and it will open a window that talks you through the stages to get the XO to give good est for solutions:up:

If I had a teacher that looked like the one in Trevallys classroom pic, I would'nt have made it out of school :D