PDA

View Full Version : Things That Are Just Wrong...

vienna
02-28-12, 02:55 PM
As part of the "Keep America Beautiful" campaign, a website has been put up for people to list things that, like littering, are just wrong:

http://www.litteringiswrongtoo.org/

I first found out about the site when I was riding a local shuttle bus and there was a public service ad giving the site's address and showing an example of something just wrong: "Texting while in surgery" (The ad showed a picture of a doctor's hand texting on a cell phone the message "OMG!! BRB!") Some of the items listed are rather amusing and some are just strange Anyway, I thought some of you might want to see it and maybe post some ideas of your own of things that are just wrong.

BTW, one of the wrongs listed is slapping a nun, which I did in 8th grade, but I have to point out it was in self defense: the nun was scolding me for my latest infraction and I had sort of zoned out and was not listening to her. She became even more angry and raised her hand to slap me. I absentmindedly saw the hand coming down out of the corner of my eye and instinctively ducked and, having lived through a few schoolyard fights, also instinctively counterpunched, landing a rather solid blow. I immediately realised what I had done and prepared for the worst. The nun just looked at me with a stunned expression and sent back to my ckassroom. I spent the rest of the day waiting for the consequences but never heard a word about the matter again. I think the nun may have been embarassed about being struck by a student and chose not to admit it ever happened. My actual greater concern was the possibility of a lightning bolt striking me down in divine retribution (and I am still waiting)...

krashkart
02-28-12, 05:21 PM
My actual greater concern was the possibility of a lightning bolt striking me down in divine retribution (and I am still waiting)...

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/lightning-gallery-18.jpg
*ZAP!!*

There. Now you can stop worrying. ;)

*krash*

soopaman2
02-28-12, 06:00 PM
On behalf of myself, an Italian American raised devoutly Catholic (an Italian from Jersey, first Jersey shore reference I will curse you until I am permabanned:O:)

I salute you. 21 gun salute
:salute::salute::salute:

Though 21 salute emoticons would be a bit spammy, they are all there, trust me.

Nuns are freaking mean. Catholocism made me bitter about religion. Although Jesus is still a cool dude in my book.

Reece
02-28-12, 06:12 PM
I absentmindedly saw the hand coming down out of the corner of my eye and instinctively ducked and, having lived through a few schoolyard fights, also instinctively counterpunched, landing a rather solid blow.
Oh you're going to get your comeuppance!!:o

Penguin
02-28-12, 06:15 PM
:haha: glad I had nothing in my mouth while reading vienna's story

Nuns are freaking mean.

No way, man. I have seen... eehm..documentaries, where the nuns have been very nice and caring towards men - and towards their follow nuns, too. :smug:

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9633/188190.jpg

vienna
02-28-12, 07:04 PM
The incident with the nun is nothing of which I'm particularly proud; it just happened. If it mitigates the shock, the nun in question was noted for her overzealous use of physical punishment and force. I found out several years later she was removed from the school and convent after trying to take a swing at the Mother Superior in front of the entire school at an assembly in the school auditorium. I was told she was sent to a facility operated by the order for "troubled" nuns, sort of a "convent for' happy' nuns" ("...and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats, and they're coming to take me away, ha! ha!...)

Retelling the story also reminded me of something of a similar vein: there is a ceremony in the Catholic church called Confirmation, sort of the Catholic equivalent of a Jewish Bar Mitzvah where a child pledges allegiance to the faith and is 'confirmed' as a full member of the church. I don't know if the ceremony is the same now as in my youth, but, back then, the ceremony was held in the church, much like a solemn mass, and was officiated by the highest ranking cleric in the diocese, ususally an archbishop. The rite inculde the laying on of hands on the top of the head in blessing and the anointing of the fore head with holy oil. As a final touch, the archbishop gives the anointee a light slap on the cheek, symbolic of the possibilty of having to suffer for your faith. Our parish was a very blue-collar neighborhood, primarily Irish and Italian, so it was a bit rough and tumble. One of my friends, John, was in line before me at the altar for the confirmation. When his turn came, he knelt before the archbishop, was blessed, anointed and then came the time for the slap. John ducked out of the way of the slap, ducked a second time, and, finally, the archbishop, a very tall, strong and now determined Irishman, rose up, grabbed John's face with one big hand, held it still and gave John one very pronounced slap with the other hand. The entire church was collapsed in laughter and I got to watch John leave the altar with a look on his face of "I wish I could hit him back..."

After the ceremony, the archbishop went to John and said "With an ability to duck and weave like that, you'd make one heck of a boxer"...

krashkart
02-28-12, 07:24 PM
Oh you're going to get your comeuppance!!:o

I dunno, Reece. Sounds like the Lord had a plan in mind for the nun all along. :yep:

soopaman2
02-28-12, 07:50 PM
:haha: glad I had nothing in my mouth while reading vienna's story

No way, man. I have seen... eehm..documentaries, where the nuns have been very nice and caring towards men - and towards their follow nuns, too. :smug:

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9633/188190.jpg

Documentaries, hmmm?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKNnwLL991c&feature=related

Reminds me of this, I actually saw this live and laughed my sack off. It is kinda a warped sesame street for adults.

GoldenRivet
02-28-12, 08:29 PM
Nuns are freaking mean. Catholocism made me bitter about religion. Although Jesus is still a cool dude in my book.

Same