PDA

View Full Version : Silent Hunter V and time compression

GatorSub1942
02-25-12, 03:37 PM
OK, so by their nature, sub games are very slow moving affairs so thank God for the time compression controls, eh? The thing is, in Silent Hunter 4 when you activated the time compression controls, the animations also sped up - so if you were on the surface, the waves would leap around like you were in some kind of speedboat on steroids. Below the waves, the situation wasn't much improved. This led to the map screen being the only sensible screen to be on when using time compression.

So what I want to know is does this happen in Silent Hunter V, or has it been rectified? After all, one of the 'hooks' for this game is to be able to move around the boat, no? What's the point if the damn thing is leaping around like a Mexican jumping bean? Surely it should be possible to have time flying by at 1000x while keeping the animations in real time?

GatorSub1942
02-25-12, 05:04 PM
Anyone at all? If I get the game, I really don't want to be spending most of my time staring at the map screen because of this issue. It's boring, not to mention unrealistic.

Rongel
02-25-12, 05:12 PM
Sadly no!

I agree, it is a great idea and would make walking in the sub much more exciting. But the sub and the outside world are in same place, so if you put timescale x32, you will get the ultra fast crew animations.

I think that you need to strip the game to the core if you try to achieve it, so it's not likely to happen. But never say never, miracles have happened before...

GatorSub1942
02-25-12, 05:52 PM
OK, thanks for the reply. That's a shame. Still, I suppose there's still the fun of rushing through the sub when battle stations are sounded. :)