PDA

View Full Version : Noise complaint

kraznyi_oktjabr
02-25-12, 02:13 PM
I noticed this in CDR Salamander blog.Especially the buckets of mental FOD that complain about TACAIR in and around NAS Oceana and the fight for a decent outlying field (http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=oceana+outlying+field&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=64379l70636l0l70887l21l18l0l2l2l0l261l2788l 4.9.5l20l0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nw&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&fp=2be8271d96c3df42&biw=1408&bih=693) to practice in nearby - we all know those letters and emails about noise problems. Airfield has been there 70 years, home 25 years, new owner .... Well, sometimes you have to read the letters/emails very closely.

Here (http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2011/11/sound-of-freedom.html) is the original complaint sent by Mr. Carl Raabe... :DL

...and here (http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/2011/11/rest-of-story.html) is the United States Navy's answer to it. :D

Stealhead
02-25-12, 02:51 PM
I love the "In fact, once we are complete with our investigation I personally plan to survey the route myself to ensure we have not overlooked any training opportunities and will encourage others to do so as well."

He should perform the survey at maximum speed to ensure its accuracy.

I cant believe that this knuckle head lived in the house for 20 years and then suddenly rudely complains and I am sure that he is blowing it out of proportion it is a weird request though.

There is a small Navy bombing range on Lake George about 15 miles from my house sometimes you can hear the crump sound from the practice bombs and it vibrates the windows.Sometime for people that have property nearer to the site they get windows broken all they do is report it to the Navy and if the claimed time of day matches the time span they where bombing they pay for damages.Another time one of my friends grandfather had several windows busted by a over zealous F-18 pilot that decided to hit the afterburners while flying low the Navy that time had the pilot himself pay for the windows and mailed an apology letter.Of course most people that I know are not too different than that letter writer they just wanted thier damaged windows replaced.

Garion
02-25-12, 04:17 PM
Mmm I must have read it wrong, I thought he was complaining that it was'nt LOUD enough :D

Anyhoo the RAF frequently practice bomb my house and I give em a big wave :yeah:

Cheers

Garion

kraznyi_oktjabr
02-25-12, 04:39 PM
I cant believe that this knuckle head lived in the house for 20 years and then suddenly rudely complains and I am sure that he is blowing it out of proportion it is a weird request though.I think it was meant to be taken more as tongue-in-cheek, especially as "complainer" previously served in VFA-113 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFA-113) Stingers.Mmm I must have read it wrong, I thought he was complaining that it was'nt LOUD enough :D

Anyhoo the RAF frequently practice bomb my house and I give em a big wave :yeah:

Cheers

GarionCorrect, not loud enough. :D

My grandparents' house in country side is in area where Finnish Air Force often practices. It was quite impressive sight for little child in early 90's when Saab 35 Draken (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_35_Draken) flyes at tree tops over grandparents' house. :D

Stealhead
02-25-12, 10:36 PM
I know it was meant to be tongue and cheek I was being sarcastic as well.

Though the guy could have said something years ago.

@Garion you read it correctly but maybe did not read my post correctly I did say it was a weird request most people complain about the noise not about there not being enough.I was not complaining about the air activities going on near me either does not bother me hell does it does not even bother the dog and cats they do sometimes look perplexed by the faint crump and rattle of the windows it is actually not very noisy at all whit the TV running you wont even hear it.The range near me is only used with practice bombs it is too small for real big ordinance.As far as I am aware nobody near the range seems to mind it either living under the flight path of a major air port would be twice as loud.I find though that most people become accustomed to noise that might seem like pesky.I do not think that the training bombs used even have any warhead at all though I have many times heard the crump of hitting and then the rattle of windows which makes me think that is caused by an over pressure wave.

TLAM Strike
02-26-12, 12:26 AM

Cheers

Garion
Invest in some model rockets. Give them some realistic training. :O:

Garion
02-26-12, 11:59 AM
Re the noise compaint thingy, I just thought that I had read it wrong and was a bit confoosed.... several pints of snakebite can do that to this old fart :woot:

As for the rockets. When my twin girls were wee, they were terrified of the jets flying so low, the noise would have them running screaming into the house. Sooo I used to sit in my garden chair with my walking stick pointed at the sky like a bofor's gun and mimic trying to shoot them. The girls would be at the bedroom window, eyes all agog whatching their daddy chase away the baddies :yeah:

Sigh, they have gone to University now and I am suffering from empty nest syndrom :O:

Cheers

Garion

krashkart
02-26-12, 02:00 PM
I miss my hometown. The ANG flew F-4's out of the airfield there in the 80's, which were later replaced by A-10's. It's a sight to behold when a flight of Hogs come roaring in out of nowhere. Every once in awhile there would be a Lawn Dart flyover from the AFB thirty miles out and that was always an exciting moment. For a few months in 2000 a pair of Eagles would circle the town for several hours at night. Not sure what they were up to. The noise never bothered me a bit. It was exhilarating to hear those birds screaming overhead. :up:

EDIT:

Driving to work one afternoon I looked up and saw an F-22. Must have been making a special appearance because it hadn't been but a few years since Lockheed had won the contract.

Another time, and this was years ago, we were driving out to do some hunting and we saw a pair of B-52's come lumbering in low over the highway. That was a real treat! :D

kraznyi_oktjabr
02-26-12, 02:22 PM
Another time, and this was years ago, we were driving out to do some hunting and we saw a pair of B-52's come lumbering in low over the highway. That was a real treat! :DOnce as small kid I was travelling with my dad. We were in highway when I started to wonder strange roaring noise behind our car. What I saw was jet fighter lowering altitude and then passing low over us before pulling up again. :D I didn't know it at the time but that "jet fighter" was Finnish Air Force BAe Hawk trainer, most likely from Tikkakoski AFB. Maybe they were practicing ground attack? :hmmm:

krashkart
02-26-12, 03:11 PM
Once as small kid I was travelling with my dad. We were in highway when I started to wonder strange roaring noise behind our car. What I saw was jet fighter lowering altitude and then passing low over us before pulling up again. :D I didn't know it at the time but that "jet fighter" was Finnish Air Force BAe Hawk trainer, most likely from Tikkakoski AFB. Maybe they were practicing ground attack? :hmmm:

You were practice strafed, I bet. How cool! :DL