PDA

View Full Version : Lonely Death

Skybird
02-24-12, 09:21 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17152949

Observing the occasional reports on Japan since years myself. The social structure of theri society is so very much in shambles that it is frightening. Many men do not find women. Many young women leave men. Family structures falling apart. Job and economy always first, leaving many workers and low ranking managers living either in their bureau, or on the street, under bridges. And then the shame-issue, preventing that these issues get the wide public awareness that would be needed to make the authorities tackle the problem.

Oberon
02-24-12, 11:46 AM
I have to agree with you Sky, socially Japan is terrifying, it's like some kind of civil war there. The older members of the community blame it on anime and degenerative behaviour of the youth, and the youth blame it on the older members being out of touch with society.
Women blame men for being Hikkomori or just creepy, Men blame women for having standards so impossibly high it's probably just easier to date a computer game.
Japan may make some fantastic stuff, but behind the scenes it's falling apart and the economic downturn really does not help.

I worry for Japans future.

Osmium Steele
02-24-12, 12:39 PM
Any culture which considers it acceptable and amusing to stick your thumb as far as possible up another's butt, before they can react, worries me.

In the U.S. it would get you arrested. Unless you paid for the privilege, of course. :O:

CCIP
02-24-12, 12:55 PM
It's not in shambles. The media just sensationalizes it, and you shouldn't buy into that. They have their share of problems, but the sky is not falling there. I say that as someone who has family living in Japan at the moment btw.

This in itself is a sad and fascinating issue, but it's not even unique to Japan - just that some of the realities of life in Japan give it a particular flavour.

flatsixes
02-24-12, 01:01 PM
It's not in shambles. The media just sensationalizes it, and you shouldn't buy into that. They have their share of problems, but the sky is not falling there. I say that as someone who has family living in Japan at the moment btw.

This in itself is a sad and fascinating issue, but it's not even unique to Japan - just that some of the realities of life in Japan give it a particular flavour.

Agreed. My eldest boy and his Japanese wife live in Greater Tokyo. It's no better or worse than Greater Los Angeles. But it's different.